mtbr member

05 Fox Vanilla 130 R problems

I am fairly sure that I have an 05 Vanilla. It came with an 05 manual, but the damper looks nothing like the damper in the manual. I had it Pushed about two years ago, for whatever thats worth. Oh yeah, I bought it new in 05. The reason I remember is that it was the first year without V-brake mounts.

:: Disclaimer, I have been terrible at maintaing this fork. Im good about most things, but as far as the fork, I have done, well, nothing ::

Before I had it Pushed the bushings were worn out and it had developed a problem that 'felt' like the headset was loose. That is the best way to describe the problem. Its almost like no matter where it is in its stroke there is a tiny tiny bit of play (up and down) between the uppers and lowers. Now it feels the same way again. When smoothly cycling the fork in the parking lot, it feels fine, but riding you can feel that small amount of play.

Fast forward to tonight, where I have disassembled the fork for my first time. I don't know why I never have before, I do everything else myself, repack all my bearings, etc., I just have never opened up a fork. With the damper in my hands, one hand on the 'upper' and one on the 'lower', I can feel the tiny bit of play no matter where in its stroke it is.

So, the all important question is: how do I fix it? I have not idea how the damper itself is assembled, so I don't want to go taking it apart (if there are even any user serviceable parts in there) only to ruin it.

My guess is bushings or something in the damper itself are worn, but I have no clue.

Is the damper replaceable? From where?

Thanks for your help!

P.S. here is a pic of the damper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 05 Fox Vanilla 130 R problems-img_2230.jpg