mtbr member
    Mar 2004

02 FOX Vanilla 125RLC spring question

I have the Vanilla described above and I hear a clicking upon compression. I've read this is probably the spring hitting the inside of the fork wall. I've also read I should open up the left leg and remove the spring and slide the plastic wrapper on the spring up in the middle of the spring again and this should resolve the issue.

The question I have is should I take any special precautions before I open this up?

Also, I have a few other springs I can install. I'm about 195lbs and I feel like the spring that is in there could be stiffer. The blue spring is currently installed and I've been told I might want to consider replacing it with the Green I have instead.

Just asking a few questions before i try this myself.

Any advice is appreciated.

Former Bike Wrench
    I've owned two Vanilla forks and the Green was what I used (between 210-225lbs riding weight). As far as the clicking, make sure the spacers are in correctly and use a nice light grease on the spring. Don't be stingy, lube it up and that will help with the spring noise.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Try the next spring up and see how it rides.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrxc
    Try the next spring up and see how it rides.
    I will.

But will I need to replace the oil to swap out the spring? or can I just open it up and swap it and close her up again?

Former Bike Wrench
    can I just open it up and swap it and close her up again?
    Yes...no oil change needed...though if it needs one (being a 7 year old fork) it might be worth doing

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    It was tuned up in 06 and has not been used much since. I'm sure it could use a change but for now I would like to just swap the spring and she how it rides.

I'll end up getting new seals and give it new oil in the summer some time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Spring replacement went surprisingly well. I started messing with the settings after I replaced the spring to the GREEN for a 195lb rider like myself and I must say this is a very nice fork. very easy to adjust and make quick subtle changes. Thanks for the help. My next task will be to change the seals and oil. I'll try it mid season. Thanks!