Rider Found Dead

'02 Duke SL 100 - Broken O-ring

I'm working on my '02 Duke SL 100, and on the air piston, there's a broken o-ring between the bottom white plastic cap (the one held in by the snap ring) and the white plastic sleeve on the piston. It's not the air piston o-ring, which is intact and up at the top. When I found it, it was sitting inside a recess in the white plastic cap. It's weird, because it doesn't appear to do anything if it sits inside that little recess. I mean, there's nothing to seal there - it's just a hollow. Plus, it seems to be too small to actually fit in there if it wasn't broken. I'm thinking it sits around the piston, between the two white plastic parts, to stop them from contacting, and it only fell in the recess because it broke.

I phoned tech support at RockShox (SRAM), but the guy there wasn't much help. He didn't really know what I was talking about, so he made up like he did. He said it sits inside the recess and keeps dirt out of it. Hmmmm, never seen an o-ring used for that. Anyone who has taken apart a Duke SL and could tell me - I would very much appreciate it.

Philber.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

no worries

It's a top out/guide oring, takes up the gap between the two parts and eliminates noise when they come together. Worth replacing, you can match one up at an auto parts store.

Rider Found Dead

So it doesn't go in the recess, right?

Thanks Cosmo.