mtbr member
    Jun 2004

00 Rock Shox SID XC

Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone had this fork, and if you could give me your opinion and some info. I hear the 00 is better than the 01 SID XC.
    Thanks!

Tracking up the place

Good job! Buy Buy Buy

bluntly I am clyde racer....had and still have my SID 00 on a hardtail frame...for awhile it was on FS and another hardtail before that... I now have after 4000 + miles a little bushing play in the right side... I will have the bushings replaced this winter....this will be the first rebuild other than once a year fluid change....No busted seals, no leaking air, a little flex on the SL with disks...(personally leave em with rim brakes.) Great fork......
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member

If you want one, I have a 2000 RS SID XC for sale, Brand new.

I just bought a Trek STP that I am parting all the parts off or to make it into a single speed. The bike came with a SID XC that I was planning on selling. Brand New with only some parking lot riding.
    If you want it make me a fair offer.
    You can email me of PM
    KMan19348@yahoo.com

KMan

Quote Originally Posted by Salsa1018
    Hello,
    I was just wondering if anyone had this fork, and if you could give me your opinion and some info. I hear the 00 is better than the 01 SID XC.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Kind of funny that you bring it up because I am currently debating if it is worth replacing the 00 XC on my bike with a 04 Duke XC. Reason for the change would be to match a new frame (I know its vain).

The 00 XC has been great, holds air, works well, a bit flexy for my weight but not bad. I did have the rebound adjuster start leaking oil and the LBS sent it to Rockshox. 1 week and $40 later it was back fully rebuilt with new seals throughout, updated topcaps with shrader valves instead of the old style that needed adapters and oil appropriate for my weight. Can't ask for much more than that.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I've had a '00 XC for a couple years, and it's been nothing but good.
    I weigh around 150, and ride some rocky, rooty trails. I can see the fork flex a little under braking on the road, but haven't noticed it on the trail.
    I did a tear-down and rebuild when I received it, upgrading the oil seals and wipers to Enduroseals (excellent upgrade, well worth the $20) and filling it with 10 weight oil, instead of the stock 15. No RedRum either, as it gums up the valves over time. I just used more 10 weight oil for the oil bath and air chambers.
    The result is a no-nonsense, excellent performer. I like not having anything to mess with - no lockouts, no adjustable travel (not on the trail, anyway). It hasn't leaked air apprecialbly, either. I check both chambers before a ride, and usually add a pump to replace what bled off into the pump, but that's it.
    I am noticing a touch of bushing wear, finally, but replacing those should be a simple job, and I'll have the shop press in 2 lower bushes at the time - or fit newer SID bushes, which used a longer lower to begin with.
    I've also got a 2002 SID Race, and while it's damping is maybe a little nicer, and it's got lockout, it's harder to set up, and not quite as plush as the XC. It's a race fork, sure, but I'm not always racing. Raising the negative air seems to eat up travel more than it softens the ride.
    I can't say if the '01 is better or worse - I know it went to schraeder valves, which would be nice. The adaptor works, but it's one more thing to lose, and without it, you're screwed. Maybe I'll send this in, like CDMC, and see what changes RockShox makes. The thing is, I didn't pay much more than $40 for it to begin with (and $30 for the '02 Race - knowing shop employees helps).