★ punkrocker

Bonking ... not feelin' well `06 Marzocchi Marathon SL Doppio Air

I give up... Can anybody help me set up my Marathon SL?
    I inflate every chamber with the recommended pressure, I just can`t figure out what PAR is good for and how much shoud I inflate it. The fork doesn`t run smooth: I push the fork, it returns and when I lift the front of the bike a little it pops out a little more. The other problem I have is I can`t set up my fork for 100mm of travel , I tried pumping neg air (150psi), but doesn`t seem to make any difference.
    I`m aprox 70 kg = 154 lbs.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Only minimal air pressure is needed in the PAR chamber (0-20psi). If you like a more progressive feel add a few pump strokes of air.

To change the travel, bring the pressure in the negative chamber to about 200psi, compress the fork and the travel should reduce. When you compress the fork to reduce the travel you are also changing the size of the negative air chamber and the pressure in that chamber will drop. If you want to reduce the travel further pressurize the negative air chamber again to >200psi and push the fork down. Finally you can fine tune the negative air chamber pressure to optimize the fork feel at the top of the stroke.

I hope this helps.

★ punkrocker
    Thanks man! That worked. I had to try 20 times before I managed to unscrew the pump from the negative chamber`s valve without deflating it.
    Wohoo! I now have a XC fork again!

aka greyranger

am sl air

The par is the bottom out resistance. Zoke told me to set your sag with the pos air then go 3 times the pos for the negative air should get you close. Add more to the neg for less travel. Just remember where your settings are. Good luck.

★ punkrocker
    One last question!
    The fork`s travel is now right, the fork is soft enough for me, but the fork doesn`t move smooth. Is there anything I can do? Tried to adjust the rebound rebound + deflating the + air chamber. Apparently nothing changed...
    Thanks again for your quick replies!

aka greyranger

break in

Quote Originally Posted by garage0racing
    One last question!
    The fork`s travel is now right, the fork is soft enough for me, but the fork doesn`t move smooth. Is there anything I can do? Tried to adjust the rebound rebound + deflating the + air chamber. Apparently nothing changed...
    beat it up to break it in, a week at winter park and keystone did it pretty good for me.

3 "fiddy" for short
    One last question!
    How old is the fork? If you picked up a new '06 then you will need to give it a little ride time for it to loosen up for you. I have a '06 66SL and when you have new seals it takes a little to break them in.

Marz does offer a works package where they hone the bushings and use oil with an additive to make it smoother.

*Edit* Redranger beat me to it.

★ punkrocker
    The fork is from 2006, but I bought it last winter, so I have already ridden it 1000+ miles.

%$#$*!
    Sounds like it might me time for an oil change, if you haven't already done that.

Also check to see if the lowers are aligned. That's been a problem with the 66sl's at least. Never heard of the marathons doing that, but it wouldn't hurt to check.

★ punkrocker
    Everything is working fine and smooth, BUT when I push the fork just a little bit there is a dispurbing noise (right at the travel start), like the headset was loose or something like that. At fist I thought it was just the wrong rebound setting, but tried everything: inflated/deflated every possible air chamber, adjusted rebound.
    Do you have any clue what this could be?
    My setup:
    Neg air: 200+psi
    Pos air: 40+psi
    Par air: 10psi
    I swear if I get this fork to work well, I`ll never change the pressure in it again.

Sometimes has attitude
    Everything is working fine and smooth, BUT when I push the fork just a little bit there is a dispurbing noise (right at the travel start), like the headset was loose or something like that. At fist I thought it was just the wrong rebound setting, but tried everything: inflated/deflated every possible air chamber, adjusted rebound.
    Do you have any clue what this could be?
    My setup:
    Neg air: 200+psi
    Pos air: 40+psi
    Par air: 10psi
    I swear if I get this fork to work well, I`ll never change the pressure in it again.

Sorry for chiming in late but it looked like the info was good.

Anyways as far as the niose at the beginning travel, is it a squeek type niose? or a creak type niose? I suggest to try and lube the dust seal on the fork, it's not that easy to do this when it is together but you can take the end of a ziptie (or something thin and non-metal) stick it in the dust seal lip and try to get a little fork oil in there. A lot of times this is an area overlooked for stickiness feeling (trying not to use the word sticktion) of the fork.

As far as you air settings they are pretty good other than your negative air pressure being on the high side of a 3:1 ratio between pos/neg pressures. Maybe somewhere around 125-130 in the negative is better and 5psi in PAR.
    Positive looks good. Other than that I can't help much more in this cyber world.

Happy trails!
    Ride Your Bike!

★ punkrocker
    The noise is creaking. I will try to lube the dust seal!
    Thank you cyber-friend, will keep you posted!

★ punkrocker
    I made a movie, maybe you`ll have a better picture. The sound is a little amplified though...
    Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Of6fU7Mlw
    .T.

Sometimes has attitude
    I made a movie, maybe you`ll have a better picture. The sound is a little amplified though...
    Thanks!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3Of6fU7Mlw
    .T.

Nice video!!

I have narrowed in down to the TST cartridge. It's either the rebound valve or the outside of the cartridge tapping the inside of the stanchion. One way to check would be to adjust the rebound to the minimum setting and see if it changes at all. If it doesn't, I would say it's the outside of the cartridge tapping the inside of the leg. You can also check this by cutting a piece of road tube or shrink wrap and installing it over the star shaped plastic part on the bottom of the cartidge body. The cartridge would have to come out to do this though.

Let me know if this helps.
    Ride Your Bike!

★ punkrocker
    Yes! The sound does change with the rebound setting. It almost dissapears when set to (-). Is there anything I can do about it?

★ punkrocker
    ???

Sometimes has attitude
    ???

It is the rebound valve glide ring and can not be changed or moved to eliminate the nioce. I have tryed to with no success. Sorry I don't have a solution for you.
    Ride Your Bike!

mtbr member

Same thing here

I have a 2006 Marathin race it it just started doing this. Literally one day it didin't the next it did. Is it going to cause wear?
    Should I just ignore it.....if I can?