Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zee-licious

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Zee-licious

Universal Cycles now has in stock the Zee rear der that I've been eyeing for awhile. I'm looking forward to crisper shifting with that short short cage. Yippee Zee
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've been debating whether to go ZEE 1x10 - 32T and 11-36 (new der, shifter, cassette, chain) or get something like the XTR M972 9-spd derailleur and simply add a Saint short cage to it (to a relatively new drivetrain, less than 15 hrs on it this season). The difference in price between the two setups would be roughly $70 or so. I can get the XTR plus Saint cage bits for $160 and the ZEE 1x10 setup for about $230.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    It says 1x10 but I plan on using it for 2x10. I dont see why it can't be used for 2 rings up front.

I haven't seen the new Saint's pricing yet. Where'd you see that?

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    It says 1x10 but I plan on using it for 2x10. I dont see why it can't be used for 2 rings up front.
    The short cage won't have enough throw to take up all the chain necessary to accommodate two chain rings and 10 cogs, sorry.

If you aim to run 2x10 your best bet is a medium length cage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    The short cage won't have enough throw to take up all the chain necessary to accommodate two chain rings and 10 cogs, sorry.

If you aim to run 2x10 your best bet is a medium length cage.
    The specs say up to 36T cassette but doesn't specify what size chainring. Many 1x10 can be 36T ring up front. But yes, I'm assuming here about it fitting. Hmm, now I'm wondering about this. The med cage would be safer but I really want that short cage. I guess I'll have to research more and hold my order

Registered text offender
    Dec 2011
    The size of the large cog and large chain ring dictates the length of chain required, the spread in gear ratios of the drive train determines the minimum amount of take up needed.

I run 2x6 with a front derailleur and a short Saint cage, but I only have 6 cogs out back. My total spread in gears range from 23.2 gear inches to 70.4 gear inches. My rear derailleur is maxed out with 25t/ 38t front- 14-28 rear.

Thats a difference of 47.2 gear inches, where a 12-36 run 1x9 with a 36t ring has a spread of 51.9 gear inches.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

I hope that helps. Tell us what you find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Richard View Post
    The size of the large cog and large chain ring dictates the length of chain required, the spread in gear ratios of the drive train determines the minimum amount of take up needed.

I run 2x6 with a front derailleur and a short Saint cage, but I only have 6 cogs out back. My total spread in gears range from 23.2 gear inches to 70.4 gear inches. My rear derailleur is maxed out with 25t/ 38t front- 14-28 rear.

Thats a difference of 47.2 gear inches, where a 12-36 run 1x9 with a 36t ring has a spread of 51.9 gear inches.

Sheldon Brown's Bicycle Gear Calculator

I hope that helps. Tell us what you find.
    If you're maxed out with 25T rear and 38T front, then my 36T-36T wouldn't work with a short cage, assuming the Saint short cage is the same length as the short cage Zee. Shimano should specify somewhere what size front ring is max. to make this easier.

UPdate: I spoke with a Shimano rep. He said the Zee will work fine with a 2x10 and 36T up front. Coolness
    Last edited by myitch; 07-06-2012 at 12:27 AM.

mtbr member

I haven't seen the new Saint's pricing yet. Where'd you see that?
    I was referring to getting a new XTR 972 9spd derailleur, but like I said, it would be about $160 for just the derailleur and Saint short cage mod. Quite spendy to replace if need be.

For this season, Jon Richard offered to help out and ship me his old XTR cage to see if I can attempt the Saint short cage mod on my current SLX derailleurs. If so, I would only spend $30 on it and leave as be. I really want a short cage Shimano 9 spd derailleur most importantly, the 1x10 I couldn't really care less about since I wouldn't be gaining much anyway, already running a 12-36 cassette.

If the Saint cage mod won't work, I'll probably get the Zee 1x10 stuff for next season, especially after hearing people's review on them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Maiden ride with the new Zee rear clutch mech. NICE !!!

It was super quiet. Only a bit of rattle on high speed rocky stuff, otherwise crisp shifting, silent, smooth. And it works fine with my 2x10 36-36T combo. It's a bit more cross-chaining as it was compared with my XT Shadow, but the 36T rear is really a climbing gear only so that's when I drop to the granny.

Doing the drop test, pick up the bike's rear end and drop it, the chain does not make a sound at all. Love it.

Zee-licious !!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Can you post a pic of your setup? Been looking at getting the Zee with the clutch instead of the SLX. I'm currently running a 1x9 using an X9 short cage that's why I'm looking at the Zee.

mtbr member
    Glad to hear you like it myitch. I have the Zee sitting on the shelf waiting for a frame to put it on. I really wanted to get the Saint, but prices and availability helped me get the Zee.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Can you post a pic of your setup? Been looking at getting the Zee with the clutch instead of the SLX. I'm currently running a 1x9 using an X9 short cage that's why I'm looking at the Zee.
    Not much to see with a picture.

But if you're running a SRAM rear mech, you're going to have to change your shifters to run Shimano rear mech. The leverage ratios are not the same for the shifters and rear mechs.

Also if it's the clutch device for chain control you're after, SRAM is making their own new rear mech with chain tension. I think it's called Type 2 or something like that.

mtbr member
    My ZEE will be here on Monday Decided to go for this after the XTR Shadow broke!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    My ZEE will be here on Monday Decided to go for this after the XTR Shadow broke!
    What broke on it? The actual clutch mechanism?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eurospek View Post
    What broke on it? The actual clutch mechanism?
    No, I barely clipped a rock on the clutch switch and it caused one of the lower links of the der. To break in half! I understand rockstrikes are just part of the sport, but I'm kind of annoyed that it broke on such a soft hit! Hence the purchase of the burley looking and cheaper ZEE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rednova75 View Post
    No, I barely clipped a rock on the clutch switch and it caused one of the lower links of the der. To break in half! I understand rockstrikes are just part of the sport, but I'm kind of annoyed that it broke on such a soft hit! Hence the purchase of the burley looking and cheaper ZEE
    Lower links? Do you mean the cage, the two plates holding the pulleys? So both the aluminum and carbon plates broke?

Try calling Shimano. They might warranty it for you. I've been reading also that some of these XTRs have problems with the clutch not holding in place and allowing freeplay and chain slap.

mtbr member
    Lower links? Do you mean the cage, the two plates holding the pulleys? So both the aluminum and carbon plates broke?

Try calling Shimano. They might warranty it for you. I've been reading also that some of these XTRs have problems with the clutch not holding in place and allowing freeplay and chain slap.
    This is one the main reasons why I ultimately decided to stay 1x9 for now and just get a new Shimano Saint M810 SS derailleur. Much better than my previous SLX GS. And my chain is definitely tighter now too with the short case. Investing in a full Zee 1x10 would have been $150 or so more than I was looking to spend and if XTR Shadow Plus was having problems, I didn't want to be a beta tester for the Zee.

And the Saint derailleur is so stout and robust.

mtbr member

No not the cage plates. Ill post a pic tomorrow.

Got a short ride on the ZEE today and I can say from the short time on it I am very impressed! The chain was kept nice and taught and the shifting was super crisp. Will be interested to see how it lasts long term, but for now it seems like it will be a great purchase

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Sorry for necroposting, but I found this thread when I was looking up the possibility of running the Zee rear derailleur with a 2x10 setup and am intrigued to find that it seems to work. Anyone care to comment now, a few months later? Still working fine?

mtbr member
    I'm also interested in how the Zee is working for 2x10 systems.

I'm running a 24/32 crankset, so the 25t capacity of the Zee intrigues me, as I would never use the smaller cassette rings (11, 13, 15, 17, etc) when in 24 granny up front. Would folks advise me to still just stick with the medium cage Shadow Plus Rear Derailleurs, or possibly consider the Zee/Saint Shadow Plus? Cranks will be 24/32, and Cassette will be 11-32.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As most of you know, Shimano is claiming all the shadow + derailleurs are strictly 10 speed. I am one of those who refuse to 'downgrade' to a 10 speed just to take advantage of the improved rear derailluers. Sorry but I'd would rather spend the couple hundred $ on something more practical over replacing a perfectly good drivetrain. Besides I discovered it's possible to create a 2X9 9 speed drive train with a greater gear ratio compared to 10 speed. 22/36 up front, 11-34 in back. But that's for another discussion..
    Somewhere on MTB, someone posted a 'hack' to make it work with 9 speed, In short the hack consists of a 1/4" spacer where the shifter cable is bolted to the derailleur. Spacing the cable out changes the pull rate so it approximates a 9 speed version. Most importantly however the shifter must be a SRAM coupled with the the Shimano shadow + Again, this effects the pull rate.
    I recently installed a Zee short cage expecting to do the above hack, but found out it wasn't necessary. Coupled with a Sram shifter, the Zee shifting works fine without mods. So good news to those running a 9 speed drive train, single up front and want to eliminate chain slap. BTW, I already had a chain retention device, but the Zee is far more effective. No more chain slap into spokes. Yay.
    Last edited by piccirilli; 09-22-2012 at 09:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    So I'm on a 9spd SRAM X9 setup now. Is it just as simple as taking my X9 RD off then slap on a Zee shadow + an that's it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Providing you are running a 1X9, the Zee should work. I did nothing special on mine. Took it out for a couple of rides and so far it's shifting fine. Worst possible scenerio is having to add a 1/4" spacer behind the shifter cable where it clamps to derailleur. Perhaps a 1X9 setup is not as critical as a 2X9 or 3X9 setup, where the spacer comes into play. Be sure to order the FR version of the Zee. The DH version is for a smaller cassette.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Yup, I'm running 1x9 now with 30 in front and 11-34 in the rear. This sounds interesting as I want to get into the shadow +. I might pull the trigger on a Zee FR RD. Thanks!

Beer swillin' rabble ridr
    Aug 2008
    I hope this works cause I just bought a Zee for this reason.
    Drink beer all day

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast