Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Zee-licious

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've got a Kona Honzo that I'm upgrading to a 1x10. I plan to run different front rings depending on the trail. That said I'll be using the XX1 crank so swapping out rings from a 32 to 28 (for climbing) will most likely be the gears of choice. I hope to be able to simply swap out rings and go but need the ability to run all gears with proper tension. The only way I can see doing this without using multiple chains is using a med or long cage derailleur as the zee is simply too short to take up the slack when dropping 4 (or more) teeth.

mtbr member
    What cassette will you be running? If you use an 11-32T cassette (21T capacity) and size the chain for the 32 chainring you'll be fine with the 28T chainring (add 4T to the total derailleur capacity) on there since the Zee derailleur can handle a 25T capacity.

Or keep 1 chain and run the 28T chainring with the 11-36 cassette and a 32T chainring with an 11-32T cassette for the same overall between setups. Although changing a cassette is much more difficult than popping a masterlink and swapping a chain which leads me to the third option:
    Using two master links and 1-2 standard links separated out to add/subtract a few links from the chain when changing chainrings. Size the chain with the 28T chainring, then add 1-2 links plus another masterlink when you add the 32T chainring. Use Wippermann Connex links and you can do this without tools . . .

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I only have one cassette as the old drive train is 9 speed. Sounds way to complex to try to run the zee over the med cage XT. With the XT chain tension should not be an issue making quick swaps to from 32 to 28 require only one chain, cassette and no additional master links. My zee is new so I just need to send it back to the retailer for the XT and be done. I think I have answered my own question.

mtbr member
    Why is it that you're worried about having two chains? It wouldn't be too much more complication than swapping chain rings.

In my opinion, it's worth it to do it that way because of how awesome the short cage derailleur is. Obviously I don't know what your rides are, but with a 32 front and 36 rear, you might be use the 28 much less than you think, especially if this will be your first 10 speed.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    2 chains is still an option though I thought it was not a good idea to swap chains on cassettes. Something to do with them wearing in together etc. If it is indeed ok to swap chains then I may stick with the zee and run 2 chains.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    So I'm going to start moving things over to 1x10 tonight. I have both the med cage xt and short cage zee and one will be returned tomorrow. At this time I'm leaning toward the zee and using different chains as needed. Are there any major issues when using multiple chains on the same cassette? Prob split use between the 2 evenly so they should have similar wear.

mtbr member
    I think it's just snake oil. I have replaced several chains without replacing the cassette. Remember that the xt will also kick ass compared to whatever you had on there before.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Had an old 9speed XT on there before but it is done. Time to upgrade to 10 speed!

mtbr member
    There are some guys who rotate between several chains in order to prolong the life of the rings/cogs. You should be fine swapping between chains. Highly recommend picking up a Wippermann Connex masterlink - it's pricey but will allow you to swap chains without needing to use any special pliers to remove the master link. However, be sure to skip the Wippermann chain - it's a heavy clunky thing that shifts poorly but lasts forever.

KMC X10.93 chains w/ Wippermann Connex links are what I recommend.

mtbr member
    guys, can XT with shadow+ be used with a 9 speed sram shifter on a 2x9 setup in the same way the zee works with a 1x9 setup?

I've been so happy with my cheap shadow plus upgrade, and now im just asking for a friend that needs a new der but doesnt feel like taking on the $ of a 10spd upgrade

mtbr member
    Yes it can. I think some people have reported on their own experience in this thread. Go back a few pages.

mtbr member
    Thanks and please pardon the reading comprehension fail

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Went with the zee instead of the XT short cage. All I can say is the zee is a great setup for 1x10. Nice work Shimano!

mtbr member
    Hi there,gone to 1x10 on my 2010 Enduro and have a SLX middle cage ,a friend of mine broke is derailleur and im going to sell him de SLX and was thinking of buying a Zee for 11-36,i use a 32T ring up front a 11-36 cassette,heard somewhere that when you set your chain lenght with the Fox Shock deflated the Zee doesnt cut the chain slack when on the 11T cog,anyone?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Zee rear hub free body tool !?
    need the tool to tighten the freehub body ! help !
    after a mud-fest, I checked the hub, the axle and bearings where ok tight.
    but where the cassette was it was a little wobbly, had some play.
    got the axle off, now what. Don't know what tool I need to tighten the freehub body.
    thanks

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have the bracket axle unit for the DH version (for close ratio cassettes) and am in need of a FR version b axle unit. They are different: The Zee short cage problem | Peter Verdone Designs

If anyone else is willing to swap b-axle units, send me a message. Mine is off of a brand new rear derailleur. Thanks!
    Bamboo is real.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkston32 View Post
    I have the bracket axle unit for the DH version (for close ratio cassettes) and am in need of a FR version b axle unit. They are different: The Zee short cage problem | Peter Verdone Designs

If anyone else is willing to swap b-axle units, send me a message. Mine is off of a brand new rear derailleur. Thanks!
    Strange that that blog you linked to says "Thinking hard about bicycles..." and yet he didn't do enough research to know that there are two versions of the RD before he made the purchase
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    True. I only bought my DH version since I wasn't sure what direction my build would go. I got a killer deal on it, and buying a new b axle would still be a better deal than any I could find on the FR version.
    Bamboo is real.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bullit43 View Post
    Hi there,gone to 1x10 on my 2010 Enduro and have a SLX middle cage ,a friend of mine broke is derailleur and im going to sell him de SLX and was thinking of buying a Zee for 11-36,i use a 32T ring up front a 11-36 cassette,heard somewhere that when you set your chain lenght with the Fox Shock deflated the Zee doesnt cut the chain slack when on the 11T cog,anyone?

I have zee on my Rumblefish for the the chain slack i got a C-Guide from Bionicon it helped alot and never had any chain issues or dropped chain
    Bionicon USA C-Guide Chainguide
    U can buy them on amazon or price point.

San Miguel Beer Drinker
    Apr 2009
    testing out mine tomorrow. very quiet testing around the block.

Baby Bear is in the house
    Converted my SS to 1x10 in May2013 but never got around to posting anything about it.
    I started commuting to work and the SS was just too hard on my body.
    Apart from a minor adjustment after the first real ride, the Zee RD has been working flawlessly so far. Got iSpec SLX shifters and a SLX 11-36t cassette to go with it. I'm gearing down to a 32t RaceFace Narrow-Wide up front (currently on a Blackspire Mono Veloce 34t) and ditching the bashwich, but the RF still out of stock where I ordered it from. 'hoping it'll get to me by next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Zee-licious-dsc_0379.jpg  

Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Will the Zee RD work with 46/36 chainrings and 12-25 cassette? Total capacity 23T? And should I choose the DH or FR version? Will the FR version also work with 12-25? Thinking of using it on my flat-bar Cyclocross bike because of the short cage. Also, will the SLX medium cage work with this setup?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Yep, it's got 25T capacity.

Clutch derailleur is awesome for CX but really makes me glad I'm running SRAM on my CX bike. X9 Type 2 out back has been keeping bumpy descents silent and I havent dropped a chain since I installed it, even dropping my bike from shoulder height to show off to a few friends.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4