Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zee-licious

mtbr member
    Yes, the chain would be very slack/droop. It could work if you avoided the gears that caused it to droop. It would be more than just small small, but not the whole range. If it were me, I'd go SLX.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Thank you. Anyone want to buy a near-new Zee FR rear der? LOL
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    It's not the stretch problem in the big big situation. When in small small (22 front 11 cog), there would be so much chain that the short cage wouldn't be able to keep enough tension. So I think the rd would be rubbing up against itself. Am I right?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by blaklabl View Post
    But the ZEE FR version is rated to 36T, correct? So with that, and with the calculation above, it would work with a 32 front chainring - again, I am running a 32 chainring, not any larger or smaller. I have NO PROBLEM with 32 front / 36 rear now, still don't grasp why adding a smaller front chainring would present a stretch problem?
    It's not the stretch, when you set it up for 32 & 36, but you will have a chain droop when you drop to the 22 and hit the lower half of the cassette. If you plan for that and go on the larger ring, you could see a very tight rear derailleur and snap something during use of the travel. Not guaranteed, just going by the formula.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    OK, I think I'm still going to try my set up and avoid the Big Big Set up. Here's my set up.

11-36 rear
    24/38 front

My reason is just to avoid the big big set up since this will cause the most chain line and drag. I currently use a tripple set up and will always drop before I go big big out of instinct. This means though, I will spend majority of my time in the small ring. It should still work.

Birthday Collector
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    ATBscott. Thanks for the reply. I'm not a downhiller rider and more of a trails rider who likes to ride aggressively going down the mountain. I do however have to climb a lot. I've got more of an xc background so I need a small ring up front to help me up the long climbs we have here in my area. So the 36t up front and 36t back is the max it will go? I'll just have to remember to not get in that gear so much. I'm pretty good with avoiding cross lining my gears. Do you think an 11-34 cassette will work out better?
    Hadn't been on the last day or so - but it looks like a lot of other people have commented on the scenario. The Zee Derailleur doesn't really change cage length between the models, just the distance from the hanger which allows the larger cog on the rear. To have more chain wrap capacity you really need a longer cage, and like a few others said, an SLX RD is probably the best choice for a fairly burly rear mech that will allow you to run a 2x10 with real "trail gears". SLX isn't that much tougher than XT, but it is a little bit - and it's cheaper to replace when you find that rock that has learned to catch a Shadow+ derailleur!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Thanks guys, I understand now, I thought it was a longer cage. I will be ordering the SLX mid-cage to convert "back" to 2x10. 1x10 just doesn't work for me and my terrain, too much chunk and steep ups. I'll be listing my Andersen Machine works 30T ring in the classifieds (after only 1 ride!) as well as the ZEE FR derailleur as soon as I get them in!

Thanks I really appreciate the explanation ~

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Well, 2 x 10 set up can work but you will lose some range. You can tighten the range down depending on the front ring combo. The tighter the better. Mine was 14 difference and I set it up big Big. With that set up I lost the small and small 3 gears in the cog.

With that said, I took it off and went xt.

I have a the zee and shifter for sale. PM me if interested.

mtbr member
    Zee with 1x9 guys....any more feedback after more riding??? Still gravy?

I am gonna pm you guys with FR zees for sale, but I'm not gonna wait too long to hear back since I noticed how clapped my current der is

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Zee-licious

Been on it since November 2012. No problems at all.

X9 9speed shifter, Zee FR, 11-34 XT cogs and SLX cranks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Same here with a 1X9 setup. Zee FR, 11-34, SRAM X7 9spd shifter. Never had to adjust the shifting since installed 8 months ago. In fact it seems to shift better than the original X9 rear derailleur.
    I plan to install an XT shadow plus der on a my 21lb carbon rigid with a 1X9 setup. The chain slap is really annoying.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Any idea if this would work with a XT Shadow + and a SRAM shifter as well?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Yep, Shimano Dynasys (mountain 10 speed) works fine with SRAM 1:1 (mtn 9 speed).

Anyway, Anyone want to trade a short cage for a long cage? I've got an XT Shadow+ that has a long cage and I'm willing to tear it apart to switch out cages with someone that needs it for their drivetrain. I'm on 1x10.
    Bamboo is real.

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Really? Wow. I just had to convert my bike bike to 2x9 as 1x10 was a bit much for me, but the only thing I feel like I am missing out on is the roller clutch I enjoyed on my 10 speed setup. So confirmed, a Shomano Dyna Sys Shadow Plus Rear will work wit an X9 9-speed shifter?

mtbr member
    May 2009

Zee-licious

So confirmed, a Shomano Dyna Sys Shadow Plus Rear will work wit an X9 9-speed shifter?
    Yep, my Zee derailleur works perfectly with an SRAM X-9 9-speed grip shifter. Shifting requires a slightly heavier touch, but I think the entire setup is confidence-inspiring. That derailleur is not budging until you want it to move.

Baby Bear is in the house

How to differentiate between FR and DH versions?

Quote Originally Posted by DexTan View Post
    My zee as DH engraved on the link where you bolt it to the hanger, can i use this with a 11-36t cog, plan to put it on my project enduro build. My lbs has no idea.
    LBS says they have the RD in stock but are too stupid to know which version it is. So is it simply a "DH" or "FR" engraved on the derailleur as it says above? Or maybe "SSW" or "SSC?"
    Better to have and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Re: Zee-licious

Quote Originally Posted by r1Gel View Post
    LBS says they have the RD in stock but are too stupid to know which version it is. So is it simply a "DH" or "FR" engraved on the derailleur as it says above? Or maybe "SSW" or "SSC?"
    When I got mine, I saw in the LBS that the DH version has DH engraved on the link. My FR version has no engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    When I got mine, I saw in the LBS that the DH version has DH engraved on the link. My FR version has no engraving.
    Thanks for that

post deleted

[never mind; I've seen a pic elsewhere; thanks anyway]
    Last edited by r1Gel; 04-20-2013 at 03:18 AM. Reason: post deleted

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikkosan View Post
    Been on it since November 2012. No problems at all.

X9 9speed shifter, Zee FR, 11-34 XT cogs and SLX cranks.
    based on above setup, should I use 9 or 10 speed chains?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by damen View Post
    based on above setup, should I use 9 or 10 speed chains?
    I would believe it would based on your cassette due to the spacing between the cogs. Don't quote me on it though. My bike was set up as 2x10; SLX 10 speed cassette, rear der, shifters, chain, SLX 9 speed FD, and SLX 2x9 crankset.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Question, I just purchased a zee FR derailleur to run with an xx1 crank and 11-36 rear cassette. I plan to swap between 32 and 28 teeth on the front ring depending on the trail of choice. That said will I have too much chain drop when moving from 32 - 28 on the zee? Should I just go med cage XT or will the zee suffice without cutting the chain? Also as a 3rd option would it be a bad idea to just have multiple chains for each size chainring?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chowdapilot View Post
    Question, I just purchased a zee FR derailleur to run with an xx1 crank and 11-36 rear cassette. I plan to swap between 32 and 28 teeth on the front ring depending on the trail of choice. That said will I have too much chain drop when moving from 32 - 28 on the zee? Should I just go med cage XT or will the zee suffice without cutting the chain? Also as a 3rd option would it be a bad idea to just have multiple chains for each size chainring?
    I would go with multiple chains if you need to switch out rings. Look at what Rsabarese said:

"The Zee FR can work with 36T, but a short cage most likely will not work with a dual front ring as it cannot take up the slack in the chain when in the smallest gears and still have enough slack when in the largest. The SLX M665 mid-cage should work and is very similar to the Zee. A mid cage can handle a 37t difference, the formula for determining is:
    - Front large-small 32-22 = 10
    - Rear large-small 36-11 = 25
    - Total capacity 35.
    Shimano says 23T for short cage although I've read more like 25T, Mid cage to 37T, long cage for everything else."

If Shimano says this is the difference it can handle, why would you try to push the envelope?

Really? Wow. I just had to convert my bike bike to 2x9 as 1x10 was a bit much for me, but the only thing I feel like I am missing out on is the roller clutch I enjoyed on my 10 speed setup. So confirmed, a Shomano Dyna Sys Shadow Plus Rear will work wit an X9 9-speed shifter?
    If it's a med cage, yes. If it's a short cage, it still won't work with a 2x9.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Think I'm just going to swap the zee for a med cage XT and play it safe. This way I can run 1 chain and swap out chainrings as needed.

mtbr member
    What are you building up Chawdapilot?

I just set up a 2x10 XT setup with a Zee RD and it's fine with the exception of the chain going slack on the smaller half of the rear cassette when in the granny ring. I'm normally quick to get out of the granny gear and I'm on a hardtail so dont have to deal with chaingrowth. Works great in the stand and on the pavement but wont be able to hit a trail on this bike til Sunday.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast