Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Zee-licious

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    As I mentioned earlier, if you are planning on installing on a 1X9 drivetrain, you must use a SRAM shifter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAD View Post
    I hope this works cause I just bought a Zee for this reason.

Any updates? How did it work out for you?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am running a Zee rear derailleur with a I-spec saint shifter and 11-36 cassette. Let me say i cannot tell you guys how well this derailleur performs! it is pretty much silent, super crisp shifting it has the feel of my old x9 9spd. I tired out of the the SRAM type 2 derailleur it wasn't there yet i had all sort of problems with it. So if you are thinking about getting this derailleur stop, just get it and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm using a zee rd with my 9 speed X-0 shifter. Perfect shifting...no spacer required. Just installed today so I guess we'll see how it works long term.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Still looking for comments from anyone using the Zee for 2x10.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by svalgis View Post
    Still looking for comments from anyone using the Zee for 2x10.
    If I'm not mistaken, the Zee only comes with a short cage, good for 1X9 or 1X10 setups. It won't have the reach for 2X10. You'll need a medium or long cage for this.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    From page 1.

Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    If you're maxed out with 25T rear and 38T front, then my 36T-36T wouldn't work with a short cage, assuming the Saint short cage is the same length as the short cage Zee. Shimano should specify somewhere what size front ring is max. to make this easier.

UPdate: I spoke with a Shimano rep. He said the Zee will work fine with a 2x10 and 36T up front. Coolness

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    My zee as DH engraved on the link where you bolt it to the hanger, can i use this with a 11-36t cog, plan to put it on my project enduro build. My lbs has no idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by DexTan View Post
    My zee as DH engraved on the link where you bolt it to the hanger, can i use this with a 11-36t cog, plan to put it on my project enduro build. My lbs has no idea.
    Nope...dh = close ratio cassette. You need a FR version.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by marti163 View Post
    Nope...dh = close ratio cassette. You need a FR version.
    Got it! And with a little bit of research, i found out i have a M640SSC and i need the M640SSW to run 11-36t.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    For those wanting to know about 2x10 and 36 front, 36 rear. Better to go with a med or long cage. It might work if you're running 34t big cog cassette, IDK

My setup:
    2x10, 22-36 front, 11-36 rear

On both my DW Link Mojo HD and VPP SC TRc, with the chain growth there's just too much pull. By the time I set up the chain just short enough to have decent tension in the 36 front-11 rear combo it was too short for those "opps" times when you cross shift and go big-big (36-36) under full suspension compression. I like to set up my bikes with that "opps" in mind to prevent trouble. I'd hate to snap a chain or something.

Dang, and the Shimano tech said it should work! He should refund my money since he obviously didn't know his own product. Now I'm stuck with a rear der I cant use and have to buy a new one.
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Gee, that sucks, sorry man.
    Do you reckon it would work on a HT though?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by svalgis View Post
    Gee, that sucks, sorry man.
    Do you reckon it would work on a HT though?
    On an HT yes. There won't be much tension when it's in the 36t front and 11t rear and the 36-36 will be at its limit so there'll be more chain slap but it will shift and you won't snap the chain. But with little tension on the derailleur in the 11-36 combo it kinda defeats the purpose of having the clutch.

I have it set up on my FS bike but I'm going to replace it with a med cage Plus soon before I break something
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Alright, might as well go for a medium caged RD then by the sound of it. I recently got rid of my Zee together with my bike and was pondering whether to get a new one or not for my new 2x10 build. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I just purchased a zee rd to mate with my 9spd X9 shifter. I seem to be having problems running it smoothly on my 5 spot. On the first 5 small cogs it's ok but starts to get funky as you get to the bigger cogs.

Did any of you guys have any tuning gremlins on yours?

EDIT:

Finally figured it out! Forgot to adjust the B screw. doh! Finally shifting well now. Will have a go on it tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be any problems.
    Last edited by mikkosan; 11-23-2012 at 07:05 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I am not sure on how gear ratio's work. But from what I am reading here would I be right in assuming a 2x10 with a 24/32 front would work with a 11-34 rear?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    tagged for future ref.
    roccowt.
    rocnbikemeld

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    For those wanting to know about 2x10 and 36 front, 36 rear. Better to go with a med or long cage. It might work if you're running 34t big cog cassette, IDK

My setup:
    2x10, 22-36 front, 11-36 rear

On both my DW Link Mojo HD and VPP SC TRc, with the chain growth there's just too much pull. By the time I set up the chain just short enough to have decent tension in the 36 front-11 rear combo it was too short for those "opps" times when you cross shift and go big-big (36-36) under full suspension compression. I like to set up my bikes with that "opps" in mind to prevent trouble. I'd hate to snap a chain or something.

Dang, and the Shimano tech said it should work! He should refund my money since he obviously didn't know his own product. Now I'm stuck with a rear der I cant use and have to buy a new one.
    You said you spoke to a rep. Reps are usually not techs, or mechanics, or engineers.

Now, I think you might not have asked the correct question. Did you specify that you wanted to run 2x10 with an 11-36 and 22-36?
    Running 2x10 with "a 36 tooth ring" and a short cage is actually possible. This is what road bikes do. But road cassettes aren't bigger that 28T, and there is less difference in most road cranksets between the small and big rings. The absolute size of the ring does not matter to the derailleur, as sizing the chain compensates for this. What matter to the RD is the range of teeth that it has to take up chain slack for, and the size of biggest cog on the cassette, so the upper pulley can clear the cog and not crash into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mishtar View Post
    I am not sure on how gear ratio's work. But from what I am reading here would I be right in assuming a 2x10 with a 24/32 front would work with a 11-34 rear?
    No. Use a med cage.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just ordered a zee shifter and rd (fr version 36t). I'd like to run a 2x10 set up with 24/36 or 24/38 up front. Will this combo/set up work. Anyone running it? Any problems?

Birthday Collector
    The front chainring size in a 1x9 or 10 (or 11 or...) set-up won't affect the rear derailleur's shifting or being able to wrap the chain. The Rear mech has a maximum number of teeth it can reach up to on the rear casette, and the maximum amount (in teeth) of chain it can allow to spread and still maintain tension and clearance (wrap)... If there are two or more rings in the front, then the difference of the sizes in the rings counts towards that wrap capacity. If there is only one ring it won't add to that total, whether it's 24t or 54t. It's difference towards the wrap always remains zero... Zee has a Freeride version and a DH version - both wrap 25t, but the DH model maxes out at a 28t on the largest rear cog. The FR model handles up to a 36t cassette at max wrap (36t - 11t = 25t)

Theoretically, you could run a 32tx24t front crankset (8t difference) and run the 11-28 cassette (17t diff) and be at the wrap maximums. Low gear would work out to just over 22 gear inches for a 26" tire. Just about 1 gear inch lower than the 32t front with a 36t rear. But a lot more complexity and extra weight for one gear inch... I'd go the FR Zee M-640 RD and the 11-36 [Edit: with a single ring!] if you are not strictly competing in DH... Nice looking, inexpensive equipment.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    ATBscott. Thanks for the reply. I'm not a downhiller rider and more of a trails rider who likes to ride aggressively going down the mountain. I do however have to climb a lot. I've got more of an xc background so I need a small ring up front to help me up the long climbs we have here in my area. So the 36t up front and 36t back is the max it will go? I'll just have to remember to not get in that gear so much. I'm pretty good with avoiding cross lining my gears. Do you think an 11-34 cassette will work out better?

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Will this or will this not work with a 10-speed 11-36 cassette, and a 32/22 front chainring setup, with a ZEE FR rear der (larger capacity)?

If not, I don't understand why not? I am currently running a 32 chainring with an 11-36 cassette, I know that adding the little ring will probably negate the use of the 3 small cogs in the back with the granny up front, but I don't use that anyways. I have a Ventana El Terremoto and chain growth through the suspension action is nil at best, so will it work?
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    The Zee FR can work with 36T, but a short cage most likely will not work with a dual front ring as it cannot take up the slack in the chain when in the smallest gears and still have enough slack when in the largest. The SLX M665 mid-cage should work and is very similar to the Zee. A mid cage can handle a 37t difference, the formula for determining is:
    - Front large-small 32-22 = 10
    - Rear large-small 36-11 = 25
    - Total capacity 35.
    Shimano says 23T for short cage although I've read more like 25T, Mid cage to 37T, long cage for everything else.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    That's what I needed to hear. Big Thanks.

But... Say you set up big big. Theoretically, all you lose is the small small gears - right? Actually, I'm fine with that cause the small ring would be my bail out ring for the long steep climbs that we have.

Just A Mountain Biker.

Still confused.

But the ZEE FR version is rated to 36T, correct? So with that, and with the calculation above, it would work with a 32 front chainring - again, I am running a 32 chainring, not any larger or smaller. I have NO PROBLEM with 32 front / 36 rear now, still don't grasp why adding a smaller front chainring would present a stretch problem?
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast