mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Yumeya is a riot

$1,200 to save 61g.

The best part is from the Yumeya website, specifically the warning for the derailleur pullys: *Damage may occur easliy than standard models cause of bike crash.

gone for a bike ride
    i wouldn't buy the full kit, crazy price + ugly.

...but i bought 4m of Yumeya SP-81 gear cable for my trailbike for $93 & saved more than 70g on my old Gore gear cables without any loss of performance

the catalan connection
    Quote Originally Posted by culturesponge
    i wouldn't buy the full kit, crazy price + ugly.

...but i bought 4m of Yumeya SP-81 gear cable...
    Could you explain SP-81, please? Is that something really different from SP-41?
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    SP81 is 30% lighter than SP41.
    and white

mtbr member
    it's decoration more than weight savings. I agree it's kind of silly and not for me, then again, so is XTR in the first place.

I bet you know someone (probably female) that wouldn't hesitate to spend more on equally pointless decoration (i.e., jewelry or designer clothes/bags/shoes)

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules
    it's decoration more than weight savings. I agree it's kind of silly and not for me, then again, so is XTR in the first place.

I bet you know someone (probably female) that wouldn't hesitate to spend more on equally pointless decoration (i.e., jewelry or designer clothes/bags/shoes)
    lol, excuse me while i swing at you with my handbag! (imaginary that is)

...i'd have gone for the black version SP-91 if it was available outside of Japan (and in 2m lengths)

pics:
    2m of Yumeya SP-81
    2m of Gore Ride-On MTB
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.

yorkshire mud monkey
    well thats buggered my idea then, i was going to use white heat-shrink on my outers to make them look nice if i do it it might put on a extra 4g in weight hmmm or shall i go yellow.
    i dont understand the price i mean i paid 8 for 2m of black outer and this white stuff is 46 for the same length.not worth it if u ask me
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    but is the yumeya sealed like the gore cables?

gone for a bike ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikeeveryday
    but is the yumeya sealed like the gore cables?
    its end caps that seal the cables from the elements, use the Yumeya end caps + seal them with clear silicone sealant (same as for bathroom tiles) and your lighter/better!

if your going full-length from shifter to derailleur Gore really has no advantages - well apart from price, but the Gore FS XL kits are almost as expensive as 2x Yumeya 2m kits - but Gore weighs 2x as much

if weight isn't an issue SP-41 is still brilliant + cheaper than chips ...i think its the limited production run with the aluminium strands in the SP-81 cable that makes them so expensive to manufacture/expensive for consumers (could be wrong though!)
    Last edited by culturesponge; 01-04-2011 at 03:36 PM.