Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XTR Wheels

5K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  ilostmypassword 
#1 ·
Anyone's xtr wheels creeking and clicking at all? Ive been dealing with some noise for a while now, and I think I have narrowed it down to the wheels...they are the 08 XTRs

#2 ·
There have been issues with frrehubs clicking!
It is caused when under load and is the pawls not engaging properly due to too much grease in freehub.
Fix is to remove excess grease from freehub.
Have you changed out wheels especially rear to be sure it is wheelset?

#6 ·
I've had this issue on three pairs of XTR WH-M975 wheelsets - first set purchased mid 2007, most recent begin January. All of them had the issue, seems like they can't get it under control. I ended up selling all of them and got my self two pairs of Fulcrum Red Metal Zero Disc wheels, which are awesome :thumbsup: Stiffer, better bearings and less drag from the bearing seels. They spin and spin and spin ...

#7 ·
madskatingcow said:
I've had this issue on three pairs of XTR WH-M975 wheelsets - first set purchased mid 2007, most recent begin January. All of them had the issue, seems like they can't get it under control. I ended up selling all of them and got my self two pairs of Fulcrum Red Metal Zero Disc wheels, which are awesome :thumbsup: Stiffer, better bearings and less drag from the bearing seels. They spin and spin and spin ...
I'm not sure exactly what the problem actually is? Can you please explain what the problems were?

#11 ·
I just picked up another set of 2008 built XTR wheels for a second bike and they are crunch/pop free, so they seem to have sorted out the problem.

If you're having the problem you could have your shop clean the existing grease out of the pawls and use a small amount of lighter grease, or have the hub replaced, it depends what your mechanics are like at your LBS and what sort of warranty support they give you.

#12 ·
Good to hear you received a good wheel. I will be taking my new bike in for it's check-up later this week and will discuss it then. I swapped out the rear wheel with one from my old bike so I know the noise is definitely coming from this XTR wheel. I'll post an update when it's solved.

#13 ·
I have V2 975 XTR wheelset.
Love them
Light stiff and strong and they have definetly fixed freehub problem.

I have had a few wheelsets over years Crossmax SL etc but 975 are the best performing I have ridden with for aggressive XC riding NO jumping to speak of maybe 1 ft tops!

#15 ·
I just got a XTR wheelset as well but haven't used them yet. Hopefully i don't have the freehub problem but if i do i will get it replaced with waranty. One thing though that has me kind of mad is that the graphics on my wheelset are easily rubbed off. Already my wheels have two areas where parts of these decals have crumbed off. If you guys with your XTR wheelsets could take a look at them and tell me if any parts of your decals/graphics are coming off I would really appreciate it. Paying around $800.00 for a wheelset and having the decals come off like this is something that shouldn't happen I would say.

#17 ·
ilostmypassword said:
my decals are rock solid. but really? who cares? you will eventually mess them up anyway :)

i bet you have matching anodized parts too don't you? :D is it a turner? :D

*Tounge in cheek*
I would be willing to bet if you just got a new wheelset like this in the mail and the graphics were crumbling off you would be a little irritated yourself. Myself when i buy something new it better look new. Anyway, I'll just live with it even if my wheels end up looking like hell in a couple of months. And BTW no matching anodized parts on my Rockymountain Team frame. Also, I don't trash my bikes but take care of them ;)

#18 ·
Freezer said:
I would be willing to bet if you just got a new wheelset like this in the mail and the graphics were crumbling off you would be a little irritated yourself. Myself when i buy something new it better look new. Anyway, I'll just live with it even if my wheels end up looking like hell in a couple of months. And BTW no matching anodized parts on my Rockymountain Team frame. Also, I don't trash my bikes but take care of them ;)
Cool

#22 ·
Salty 1 said:
FREEZER I agree with you however my graphics have remained "Rock solid" with many cleans!

Are yours the V2 version?
IE they have a counter weight opposite valve staem.
My XTR wheelset does not have the counter weight opposite the valve stem so i guess I got the V1 set. I bought these wheels from CRC so I would have thought I would be getting the new V2 version but I guess not. I have heard of a few other people having the graphics come off easily so i am not the only one. Maybe I will contact shimano and see what they say.

#23 ·
Freezer said:
My XTR wheelset does not have the counter weight opposite the valve stem so i guess I got the V1 set. I bought these wheels from CRC so I would have thought I would be getting the new V2 version but I guess not. I have heard of a few other people having the graphics come off easily so i am not the only one. Maybe I will contact shimano and see what they say.
CRC are great on warranties. Try them and see what they say? I'm sure that they will help you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.