Older & Slower
    May 2006

XTR vs. XT??...am I stupid?

I'm currently 210 lbs. geared up and have a new 31-32 lb. Santa Cruz Heckler (2007 frame)...

I've always ridden an XT crankset...but am interested in an XTR crankset...

Am I too heavy to run 2006 or 2007 XTR cranks??...Most of the time I ride XC, aggressive XC, trail rides, and maybe what could be considered as All-Mountain 1-5 times per year...

I may be too poor, since I read that the XTR chainrings fade fast and cost a lot of money.

thecentralscrutinizer
    I'm your weight and ride the XTR 970 cranks. They are extremely solid and should be okay for your riding style provided you're being truthful. I don't think these cranks are going to have the chainring wear issues the 960 cranks did. So far I haven't seen anything unusual about the wear.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    My only local ride is flat, smooth XC singletrack (90% of my riding per year)...

Sometimes I do long rides on the road...

I do a handful of XC + 24 Hour Races per year (Sea Otter location)...

I also do a handful of multi-hour "epic" semi-all mountain trail rides per year in locations like Santa Cruz (aggressive, but nothing close to FR/DH)...

mtbr member
    Why do you want XTR? Is it just for bling factor? The performance per dollar spent is a little too much for my taste. Will they make you a faster rider? Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound? I'm just saying there are other crank sets out there that are just as good (or better, depending who you ask) for less money.

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    yeah...bling factor i guess...

that and me wondering if the XTR offer a little "something" better than XT performance-wise...

i'm 99.9% sure i'll just replace my old XT cranks with the new 2008 XT cranks...XT's have always worked well for me.

mtbr member
    They're lighter.. the trade-off being reduced strength.

You're not too heavy for XTR anything.. but they're not going to do a better job than their lower-end counterparts.

Ultimated Outsider
    I have been running the same 960 XTR cranks for the last 3 years withough any problems and I am heavier than you. They are actualy stronger that XT because of the way they are made. The weigh saving comes from the removal of material were it does not affect performance or strength.

mtbr member
    The best advice I ever received on how to choose cycling components: Cheap, strong, light. Pick any two.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    The best advice I ever received on how to choose cycling components: Cheap, strong, light. Pick any two.

for cranks IMO even better advice is "just get XT"
    If you where good enough that the difference between XT and XTR mattered, you wouldn't be paying for your own components.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Quote Originally Posted by neilster1
    This is good advice, but "do what makes you happy" should also be included.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    Joules
    "If you where good enough that the difference between XT and XTR mattered, you wouldn't be paying for your own components."

I like that , can I use it?

Older & Slower
    May 2006
    thanks for all the feedback...
    1. i like the "if you were good enough to notice you wouldn't be paying"...very true!
    2. i've always ran XT everything...it's been good to me...i should just stick with what works
    3. i'm on a budget and the extra money spent on XTR could be invested in some back-up drivetrain parts

Members who have read this thread: 0