Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: xtr vs xt

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

xtr vs xt

is xtr really any better then xt? I am talking about the rear derailleur and dual control shifters.

Probably drunk right now

Again?

Quote Originally Posted by Dale
    is xtr really any better then xt? I am talking about the rear derailleur and dual control shifters.

This topic comes up from time to time. I'll save everyone some time by covering most of the comments:

- Yes, get XTR.
    - No, XT is fine.
    - Shimano sucks and is too corporate, go SRAM.
    - SRAM sucks and is just as corporate as Shimano, go Shimano.
    - LX works just as well, don't waste money on XT or XTR.

The bottom line is that it really boils down to personal choice and the riding application. There are a few technical differences between XT and XTR but the primary consideration between the two is weight. If you really need to save the few grams that XTR gives you, then XTR may be right for you. If weight isn't an issue then XT functions just as well as XTR for most types of riding/racing.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Built my new titus up w/ XT and my Sugar has older XT parts on it. Personally can't justify dropping the extra big bucks for XTR. If your trying to go pro and you have it to spare, sure go for it. Otherwise XT is fine. I us LX on my "beater" bike. No real problems there either.

EDR
    The answer is no, xtr is not "better", it is lighter and therfore may be less durable. Save the money for beer and go with XT between the two. (imo)

Fashionably functional...
    I run XTR on my pride and joy Ti XC. XT on my hard core long travel trail stormer. And LX on my "beater" hardtail. I'm happy with all of them. All me Shimano stuff performs perfctly well. The LX does have the loud click when operating which I really like. Kinda feels/sounds like th SRAM stuff. The dual control shifters took a couple of rides to get used to but now I really like them. XTR is bling but totally not necessary. XT is still the best bang for the buck around.
    What's the joy of living if you can't feel alive???

A Guy Who is Going Places
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride
    The answer is no, xtr is not "better", it is lighter and therfore may be less durable. Save the money for beer and go with XT between the two. (imo)
    3 yr warranty on XTR

2 yr warranty on XT

I don't think XTR is less durable, overall.
    http://www.anthonysloan.com

Isaiah 15:5

There are many good bike companies out there, and I work for one of them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Turn the question around......does ANYONE believe for even one second that it would make one bit of difference whether Lance rode a bike equipped with Dura-Ace versus one equipped with Ultegra?

The component talk on these threads is extremely overblown, with people believing an incremental upgrade will turn them into a world class racer. Get out and bike, and then bike some more, and it will not matter what letters are on your components.

Chrome Toaster
    There's no specific rule as to what is different between XT and XTR. XTR is a XC racing oriented group and makes tradeoffs where they feel weight reduction vs strength are more important. Some XTR parts are built heavier and stronger than XT. Some of them are stronger AND lighter. Others will wear down quicker than XT. If you're really picky about choosing its best for you to understand the differences between each part instead of each group. Then decide if XTR is worth the extra double or triple the cost. For almost anything you'll find XT is just fine.

banned

From what I understand

XTR is more for racing....serious racing, where every gram of weight makes a difference (not sure when that would be). I have XTR on my ASX and DH-9 (they both came equiped with XTR), both shift great, but no better than the XT on my Heckler or Bullit. XT works perfect for me...I see no sense in spending more, for something that really doesnt work any better.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker
    Turn the question around......does ANYONE believe for even one second that it would make one bit of difference whether Lance rode a bike equipped with Dura-Ace versus one equipped with Ultegra?

The component talk on these threads is extremely overblown, with people believing an incremental upgrade will turn them into a world class racer. Get out and bike, and then bike some more, and it will not matter what letters are on your components.
    I agree with this. As long as the components do what they are supposed to, at the end of the day it's all the same. I think higher end ones are more of a psychological thing a lot of the time and are for showing off.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    xtr is complete bling i agree. however...it is so shiny and pretty and my magpie like instincts gravitate towards it whenever spotted. carbon fibre does the same. my bike lights up my life daily and my favourite bits are all the most unnessessary. my selle itallia slr (135g) saddle was cuddled in bed when it arrived (i don't live with my gfriend!).

having said that it's not neccessary; it is in my opinion just as durable as xt, it is certainly lighter, and i haven't yet riden a bike with crisper shifting than mine. the shifers are actually only deore but cables and housing should never be treated as unimportant and are xtr aswell as chain, mechs and cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by West Side Rider
    I agree with this. As long as the components do what they are supposed to, at the end of the day it's all the same. I think higher end ones are more of a psychological thing a lot of the time and are for showing off.

exactly. but as long as you're mostly thinking about, and loving the riding there's nothing wrong with a bit of bike candy!

Unshaven Yak
    Only XTR parts on my rigs are the rear derailers. I use XT everywhere else and even a Deore (gasp) front derailer on my most free-ride oriented bike. XTR derailers last and even when something catastrauphic goes wrong, I've been able to pilfer bits from old busted units to piece her back together. Can't say that for XT as I've bent a couple of those (paralellagram). LX bits break a bit early for my taste. My old XTR 8sp derailer is still going strong on my HT. Good thing is, if you do have a broken XT, it's parts carry over directly to XTR for the most part. My old bent XT's are shells that have been stripped of virtually every usable piece of hardware.

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker

YES, I do believe that there would be a difference if Lance were to ride an Ultegra-equipped bike. At that level of competition and that many miles, grams count.

Now when it comes to recreational mountain biking a couple times a week... That's another conversation. But that Lance argument just don't hold water. Sorry.

Elitest thrill junkie
    My favorite XTR part is the chain. The XTR/Dura Ace chain is the strongest I've used, very durable and corrosion resistant, and has the special mushroom shaped pins that keep the links from sliding off during extreme amounts of torque. Old shimano chains were kind of trash, Sachs chains that were rebadged as "sram" were an improvement, but the new shimano chains are even better.

Other than that, I don't have much use for XTR. XTR deraileurs are expensive and XTs serve me just fine. LX shifters work as good as XT, which doesn't seem to be any worse than XTR, so two steps down for me on that one. The XT crankset is actually much stiffer than the XTR, so while it's 60g heavier, it's better IMO for that reason.

The new XTR hubs are real nice, easy to work on, and light. I don't know if I'd ever buy em, but they were good.

I'ved worked on every XTR component out there, and they all work very well. In many cases though I can never justify the cost for the miniscule performance increase or slightly lighter weight, and in some cases those don't exist at all.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Time is not a road.
    The real question is: Which one would you rather slam into a rock and have to replace?

I just replaced an X.9 with an X.7 after a crash...I can't tell any difference in shifting and there was only a 40g difference in weight. If it holds up, I'd say it was a smart choice. If I have to replace it because it falls apart, I'll wish I had the X.9. But THANK GOD I never got that X.0! I would have cried destroying that thing on some rocks!

crumblin' erbs
    I have an XTR derailluer (circa late 90's).Best derailluer I have owned to date period.It has been in service on two different bikes And has been on my Cove Stiffee for the past 3 years. The thing reminds me of the old Timex commercials.(Takes a likin' and keeps on ticken')
    I had countless LX & XT's.They all ended life as spare parts.

Yummy
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    The real question is: Which one would you rather slam into a rock and have to replace?

I just replaced an X.9 with an X.7 after a crash...I can't tell any difference in shifting and there was only a 40g difference in weight. If it holds up, I'd say it was a smart choice. If I have to replace it because it falls apart, I'll wish I had the X.9. But THANK GOD I never got that X.0! I would have cried destroying that thing on some rocks!
    Of course, the difference with X.0 is that every individual part is replaceable, so if you break one or two bits you don't have to get a whole new rear der! Provided, of course, your LBS actually *stocks* the parts ...

Kn.
    I used to be with it. Then, they changed what "it" is, and now what I'm with is no longer "it". And whatever "it" is, is strange and confusing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

xtr

i just mangled an xtr rear mech and - swallow and clutch for wallet - replaced it with another xtr. ever as a poor university student i couldn't downgrade. my previous xtr had lasted 6 years of abuse and still gave lovely crisp shifting. many of the smaller bits had been easily replaced after less significant crashes! xt mechs are an absolute pig to work on and lots of parts aren't replaceable. you pays your money...

BUT, and i really hope someone can tell me, why do the xtr rear mechs use a spring in the opposite direction to the rest of the shimano range. i don't mean, why in that direction. i mean why don't the other mechs use this system? shifting is better in both directions and a lot quicker when you need a nice easy gear - and that tends to be more hurried than downshifting!

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by fstrthnu
    i just mangled an xtr rear mech and - swallow and clutch for wallet - replaced it with another xtr. ever as a poor university student i couldn't downgrade. my previous xtr had lasted 6 years of abuse and still gave lovely crisp shifting. many of the smaller bits had been easily replaced after less significant crashes! xt mechs are an absolute pig to work on and lots of parts aren't replaceable. you pays your money...

BUT, and i really hope someone can tell me, why do the xtr rear mechs use a spring in the opposite direction to the rest of the shimano range. i don't mean, why in that direction. i mean why don't the other mechs use this system? shifting is better in both directions and a lot quicker when you need a nice easy gear - and that tends to be more hurried than downshifting!
    Um, are you talking about rapid rise, aka "low normal"??

XT, LX and XTR all use this right now.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

my mistake...

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem
    Um, are you talking about rapid rise, aka "low normal"??

XT, LX and XTR all use this right now.

i stopped working in a bike shop just before i came to uni. i've just looked at some bike sites and can't belive how much gear has moved on; or has filtered down to cheaper components. 18 months makes a big difference! i'm about to buy some reba forks (i've been commuting only for too long so time to upgrade and get back in the 'scene') and while researching my upgrade i couldn't believe how much technology has moved on! poplock for eg on £300 forks.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    3 yr warranty on XTR

2 yr warranty on XT

I don't think XTR is less durable, overall.
    Shimano warranties?

Oh, I once got them to warranty a pair of sandals. I was shocked.

In exile
    XTR pods rule XT. XTR all shifts more crisply, but if you worry about the cost, I guess XT is fine. I don't think weight is the biggest consideration. I agree with the warranty part though.

mtbr member
    xtr makes my penis feel this much bigger |-------------|

mtbr member
    wow you better buy 2 xtr see if that will do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast