Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: xtr vs xt

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fstrthnu
    i just mangled an xtr rear mech and - swallow and clutch for wallet - replaced it with another xtr. ever as a poor university student i couldn't downgrade. my previous xtr had lasted 6 years of abuse and still gave lovely crisp shifting. many of the smaller bits had been easily replaced after less significant crashes! xt mechs are an absolute pig to work on and lots of parts aren't replaceable. you pays your money...

BUT, and i really hope someone can tell me, why do the xtr rear mechs use a spring in the opposite direction to the rest of the shimano range. i don't mean, why in that direction. i mean why don't the other mechs use this system? shifting is better in both directions and a lot quicker when you need a nice easy gear - and that tends to be more hurried than downshifting!
    Not to further bring up an old post, but since searching for xt vs xtr pulls this baby up, thought i'd throw in my 2 cents. The xtr of 6 yrs ago that you had are inferior to the xt of now as the xt of now is trickled down xtr from a few years ago. Same can be said of x.9 vs x.0. On my current ride, lx dialed in correctly works great, and will be putting xt cranks and then torn between x.0 or xt for the rear drivetrain, but will probably just grab the xt as the trigger shifters can be had for a lot cheaper.

thecentralscrutinizer
    There is most definitely a difference between 2008 XTR and XT.....it mainly involving how much more empty your wallet is after purchasing the XTR.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonys
    3 yr warranty on XTR

2 yr warranty on XT

I don't think XTR is less durable, overall.
    I wish sram had that warranty. Sram actually has a list of out-of-warranty parts, which contains 20+ parts

Team Captain
    Jan 2004
    old thread is old.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chad1433
    The real question is: Which one would you rather slam into a rock and have to replace?

I just replaced an X.9 with an X.7 after a crash...I can't tell any difference in shifting and there was only a 40g difference in weight. If it holds up, I'd say it was a smart choice. If I have to replace it because it falls apart, I'll wish I had the X.9. But THANK GOD I never got that X.0! I would have cried destroying that thing on some rocks!
    "Your are just not that good..."
    -Steve Wilson

mtbr member
    May 2010
    If lance rode ultegra instead of Dura ace he would be like 9 secs slower for ever 5km of 8% climb(analytic cycling).That would make him like 2-3 mins slower at some Tour courses.Given this is true,he would lose if he wore ultegra or maybe he would finish the tour exhausted due to the effort to offset the heft of ultegra.Maybe that's just an oversimplification along with some awful arithmetic working but weight does matter.It definitely doesn't matter as much as most people are leaded to believe but it does make a small difference.For a moderate level cyclist it may even urge him top push himself to very limits so it would be good(pros supposedly already get close enough to their limits),maybe not.Do you ride for that difference or to improve as a rider?That is eventually what you have to choose.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Indeed the comparison was about 2007 XTR and XT but,on my defense,I talked about weight regardless of those specific groupsets.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    [QUOTE=eatdrinkride]The answer is no, xtr is not "better", it is lighter and therfore may be less durable. Save the money for beer and go with XT between the two. (imo)[/QWhen the beer buzz is gone and you wake up with a hangover you will realize the waste

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good info, Thanks! I've been having the same dilemma as the OP and this helps.

mtbr member
    I agree that the lighter more expensive stuff (XTR, DA) isn't any less durable. I used a XTR rear derailleur on my cross bike for almost 10 years.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Guys - thread is old but points my question.

What is weight difference between 2011 2x10 XT and XTR groupset (incl crankset, casette, brakes, f+r dera, chain,shifters) - saying all group.
    As i tried to sum up each item (from web) it appeared around 400g difference - can You confirm ?

I'm standing in front of spending more $450 on XTR and can't decide. What i've read the difference in work is't that big so is the weight also so small ?

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by phatr32 View Post
    xtr makes my penis feel this much bigger |-------------|
    Good point -- this will get my wife onboard with the expenditure

Oops, I overlooked the word "feel"

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hell yeah brother! I just bought the cheapest bike I could (while still retaining quality) and am using the money I saved on stuff that will allow me to spend all day on the mountain.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'll just add that my 26er is full XTR and shifts like a dream. It's extremely smooth !! My new 29er is full XT and I'm not fully satisfied with the shifting. I don't know where I need to make a change, but I would really love it to shift like my 26er. Suggestions welcomed.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

xtr vs xt

I would agree with most that I feel no difference between XTR and XT. I do have one very specific instance where I like XTR over XT and it is actually a design fault, in my opinion, by Shimano. I like the brake calipers on xtr better than xt. The bleed hole for the xtr is on the bottom while the xt is on the top. I don't understand why shimano did this. I find it easier to get a super bleed on xtr due to a better, streamlined path to get out the bubbles. In addition, I like the grub screw shimano provides with xtr calipers to insert in the bleed hole after a bleed. I always seem to have another bubble trapped in the bleed port screw (that black screw with the rubber cover). Once I remove that and insert the grub screw, I always seem to have a harder 'hit' on my brakes. This is all personal preference of course. I like my brakes to hit very hard and I want that hit to happen the moment I touch the brakes. I'll modulate with my fingers. In this regard, I can get a harder hit with xtr calipers over xt. If shimano would adapt the xt design to the way xtr is, this would be another instance like the rest for me. Xt and xtr would be equal in performance.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brianthebiker View Post
    Turn the question around......does ANYONE believe for even one second that it would make one bit of difference whether Lance rode a bike equipped with Dura-Ace versus one equipped with Ultegra?
    No, not really - it was all about the drugs!

Back on topic, I'm still using M900 XTR derailleurs bought in 1992, plus the hubs, brakes and shifters. All are still going. I never had the cranks as I liked Ritchey Logic better as lower Q and available in 172.5mm. These are still going too.

With the current XTR there are differences other than weight, for instance better bearings in the shifters, improved bushings in the derailleurs, etc. The only XTR part likely to be less durable is the cassette since the Ti large cogs are softer than the steel ones found on XT. The weight difference is much less significant than the price difference, so IMHO XT cassettes make more sense.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2