mtbr member

XTR Trail Wheel Bent

I'm just a little bummed and need to vent a little bit. I bought my XTR trail wheels 988 a few months ago and love them to death. Sadly, I just bent the front wheel after my tire blew and was told I need a new hoop. My LBS called Shimano and they said 450 dollars just for the hoop. Luckily, my local bike shop offered to do it for 350 and 50 to put the wheel back together. I thought about it but couldn't justify those prices just for a hoop. I even tried calling Shimano myself to see if they could work on the price but no budge. So thanks to Chain Reaction Cycles I bought myself a new pair of Havens for only 500 bucks! Only a 100 more for a whole set of wheels compared to just a hoop! Now I don't expect Shimano to comp me for a bent wheel but you would think they would work with you on price so you don't go to a different brand of wheels especially when it makes no sense to spend 400 on a hoop! Hopefully, Shimano can incorporate a crash replacement plan or something in the future.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XTR Trail Wheel Bent-uploadfromtaptalk1364329710327.jpg  

ups and downs
    Chain Reaction's price on a complete XTR M988 trail front wheel is only $440. The scandium rim is pricey, but Shimano's parts pricing is about like most Japanese electronic manufacturers, really expensive because of the cost of managing small parts inventories.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member

Re: XTR Trail Wheel Bent

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Chain Reaction's price on a complete XTR M988 trail front wheel is only $440. The scandium rim is pricey, but Shimano's parts pricing is about like most Japanese electronic manufacturers, really expensive because of the cost of managing small parts inventories.
    Thanks for the heads up I'm trying to debate what to do with the wheels. Hopefully, sell them for something at least.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2