mtbr member
    Jan 2004

XTR Shadow Plus Rear Der Users, Share Your Experiences

No reviews posted on this one yet. I hear good things about it so far but let's hear more. That carbon cage makes me nervous along with the price, so I'd like to wait for an XT version. Anyone snap their cage yet? Any other problems?
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    come on, someone's got to have something to share....

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    absolutely brilliant. that, and the xtr brakes are the reason i went with XTR from XX.

theres something wrong if youre breaking cages. try not to crash as much!

ups and downs
    Only the outer cage is carbon, inner cage is aluminium. They learned their lesson from the XTR 970 series Shadows.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Don't own one but test rode quite a few bikes at the Southeast Bike Expo with them. Didn't really notice it until I got on a bike without one (XT equipped) and holy chain slap! There was a HUGE difference between the two, the XTR was virtually silent and never dropped a chain, which I can't say was true for the XT. Not to mention the shifting felt ten times better than any of Srams stuff I rode (X0 and X9). My budget wont allow for XTR goodies though, so I will be waiting for the XT or SLX version.

bog
    mtbr member
    I was running XT 770 on my AM bike and XX on my XC bike and switched both over the XTR after trying one out. The XTR brakes are what sold me on the swap but the Shadow Plus is an underrated part of the group. The bike is sooo quiet compared to XT and still quite a bit quieter than XX. I don't have a hint of chainslap on my chainstays, I don't get dropped chains and I don't ever have to worry about chainsuck wrecking the chainstay on my Tallboy carbon.

I've cranked the "Plus" tension up a bit on my AM bike compared to my XC bike to reduce the movement in rougher terrain and the only negative is slightly stiffer, deader feeling shifting. If you can afford it, I recommend going with the 980 shifters because they feel great and more positive than XT or SLX.
    SC Tallboy C : SC Nomad 3 : Giant TCX SLR : Giant Propel Adv SL

mtbr member
    SHHH! Thats the sound of a XTR shadow plus rear derailer on a bumpy trail. It is as quite as my Single Speed, well almost.
    Pedal Dammit!

Ninja Master Powers
    I've been riding the XTR Shadow Plus on my new Znomad C for a couple weeks now.
    I replaced the XT that came on it.

Completely silent drive train, not even a hint of chain slap.
    I run it with a stinger up front but likely I can drop the stinger and have the same result.

With the stinger though I'd say there's near zero chance of dropping the chain.

Like someone else said there's a bit of a "stiffer" feeling at the shifter but really only when going up to a larger cog, and its not all that bad.

You can find them on the web for as little as $170.00 delivered, so the price isn't all that bad. In fact I price matched locally (in San Diego) for 170.00 out the door.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DWill View Post
    I've been riding the XTR Shadow Plus on my new Znomad C for a couple weeks now.
    I replaced the XT that came on it.

Completely silent drive train, not even a hint of chain slap.
    I run it with a stinger up front but likely I can drop the stinger and have the same result.

With the stinger though I'd say there's near zero chance of dropping the chain.

Like someone else said there's a bit of a "stiffer" feeling at the shifter but really only when going up to a larger cog, and its not all that bad.

You can find them on the web for as little as $170.00 delivered, so the price isn't all that bad. In fact I price matched locally (in San Diego) for 170.00 out the door.
    $170 shipped? Where or where?

Ninja Master Powers
    Quote Originally Posted by myitch View Post
    $170 shipped? Where or where?
    I don't remember the site; but I think I found the original link to it on here in the "where are the deals" forum...

Just did a very quick look but didn't see it there; but as I said it was a quick look.

Here's a link to Amazon; you can get it through them for 199.00 shipped.

Shimano XTR Shadow Plus RD-M985 10-speed Mountain Bike Rear Derailleur (SGS): Amazon.com: Sports & Outdoors

199.00 to you door isn't a bad deal either. I'm sure I found the 170 link on here though..

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    great no chain slap....but stick got caught between derailleur and cassette , didn't bent dropout but did bent the bracket axle unit.. cant get replacements as yet ....had to buy a whole new derailleur!

mtbr member
    Love'em...have on all mtb bikes and no slap and no dropped chains
    Giant Team Bike & Bean-Marin Co., CA

https://www.facebook.com/GiantBikeandBean

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I upgraded to shadow plus a month ago...what a pleasant upgrade. I've been riding the new XTR brakes for a year with ice tech rotors and pads. The new brakes are hands down incredible. Ditto for the trail pedals.

I demo'd an XT equipped bike and it too was flawless.

My hat is off to Shimano for these new groups, they have set the bar in my opinion.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I had an experience like kiwipride stick jumped in between cassette and shadow+
    Guess what happens when the clutch is on when that happens?
    Snap! broken B-axle! I too had to buy another.
    Now this one is making a loud clunk when I cycle my suspension.
    Sounds like **** but goes away when the switch is off.
    It never stopped dropped chains either I had to install a chainguide anyway.
    Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Can't be beat. No reason to consider non-clutch-type derailleurs. The very very slight cons are more than overcome by the positives.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Shadow Plus is incredible. I have the SLX version, but I can imagine the XTR is that much better. Feels firm when shifting into the low gears and still has that soft touch to it. I would like to upgrade to XTR all around, but brakes and wheels come first!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    May 2008
    My Shadow + is SOOOOO hard to shift after a few muddy rides...
    Anybody had this problem...
    Consider to go back to a normal rear derrie...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    SLX Shadow Plus here. Here's my take.

-No chain slap
    -Can run 1x10 with no guides
    -Crips shifting
    -No Chain drop

Verdict: Winner!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Looking for some info from riders who have ridden the Plus derrie in bad conditions. Mud, rain and so on...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

It does well around. I commute, ride trail and monster cross. It's awesome. Wish I had pics for ya, but it'll take a beating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Hard2Catch View Post
    I had an experience like kiwipride stick jumped in between cassette and shadow+
    Guess what happens when the clutch is on when that happens?
    Snap! broken B-axle! I too had to buy another.
    Now this one is making a loud clunk when I cycle my suspension.
    Sounds like **** but goes away when the switch is off.
    It never stopped dropped chains either I had to install a chainguide anyway.
    Sounds like you needed to adjust your clutch. There is a small wrench inside that's just for this purpose. Maybe add a little grease to everything when you're in there too.
    Stay aware of those who hide in plain sight.

mtbr member
    Is there a difference between 'shadow' and 'shadow plus'?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Shadow plus has the clutch.