Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Don't Stop Spinnin'!

XTR Shadow carbon cage cracked! replaceable? Where do I find it? w/pics

As the title says... My XTR Shadow cage cracked with a branch my wheel picked up. (Thank god it was the day after a 12hr race!) I've only had it for about 1.5 months. so ya... is the carbon cage replaceable? I know I could change it, but where would I find just this piece? (Just need the outer carbon cage face)

pics showing damage... and what I need...

close up...

and yes, the minor damage causes it to malfunction... big time...
    ~every end is a new beginning...

offroader
    Dec 2008
    I think the cage is replaceable, but it's going to be expensive.

offroader
    Dec 2008
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=35059

http://www.shimano-yumeya.com/

Why no contact shimano and see what spare parts they have. I'm sure your LBS can order spares as well.

offroader
    Dec 2008

offroader
    Dec 2008
    Ah found something:

Shimano Spares - RD-M972 outer plate SGS
    http://www.petracycles.co.uk/product...ource=googleus

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    thanks so much! I did some research for a while, and apparently I suck at it....

Ultimated Outsider
    I wonder if the SG Saint shadow cages is the same size as the XTR shadow SG cage. The Saint aluminum cages looks like it will work in the XTR but I dont know if they are the same size.

w3rd.
    I was going to say take it to your LBS and maybe they could work out a warranty thing with you... but nah, internet is easier.

Don't Stop Spinnin'!
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Liquid
    I was going to say take it to your LBS and maybe they could work out a warranty thing with you... but nah, internet is easier.
    ya tried that... and they told me they couldn't do shiet! lol...

the links provided above helped much! thanks!

Come on, dare me!
    I know it's late, but I hope it will be useful to other persons who have the same problem you and I had. When I told my LBS that I had broken the bottom part of my XTR Shadow cage, we checked with the Shimano distributor, just to learn that the outer cage was as expensive as the whole derailleur itself. So, my trusted buddy mechanic working there (his name is Dominique and he's worth a little tribute) patented me something with an old Shimano (XTR ?) derailleur cage that works wonder. Here is what it looks like :

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Wow, that's pretty cool looking. Do I suspect a possible business opportunity for your LBS mechanic?

Do u have any closer pics?
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    Mine broke some time ago and the replacement plate (one side) is about $40. I got an XT shadow for $80 instead. I can't think of a worse place to put carbon on a mountain bike.
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

I think I need to Upgrade
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Liquid
    What is it that makes you thing that a stick breaking something (in this case an outter der. cage plate) is a warranty issue? Was it a defect in materials and or workmanship?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Mine cracked 2 weeks ago during the 1st day of the E-Fix, a 3+ day adventure race which included 200mi of riding with LOTS of climbing. It was a pain to ride. It's the plate closest to the wheel that's cracked. The bike shop wants $120 for one plate from Shimano. Chain Reaction is out of stock, Fair wheel bikes has for 971 not 972, anyone know of another option? I could care less if it's carbon or not. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    My tire picked up a small twigg, really small just 10cm that got jamed between my spokes and deraillur. It cracked the inner carbon cage and put a small dent in one spoke. Guess it is something that you have to live with. Unfortunately the m992 was just 3month old but I order the xt shadow for 25% of the price and will keep the xtr as a spare part. I hope the xt cage and xtr cage are interchangeable. Is there any other differance between xt and xtr besides the carbon cage?

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeSurfer
    My tire picked up a small twigg, really small just 10cm that got jamed between my spokes and deraillur. It cracked the inner carbon cage and put a small dent in one spoke. Guess it is something that you have to live with. Unfortunately the m992 was just 3month old but I order the xt shadow for 25% of the price and will keep the xtr as a spare part. I hope the xt cage and xtr cage are interchangeable. Is there any other differance between xt and xtr besides the carbon cage?
    I thought of replacing the outer plate with the standard (aluminum) one from a non-shadow XTR derailleur, but then, my mechanic came with the solution hereabove that cost me like nothing (I'm not even sure he charged me some time for this...).

Come on, dare me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Datalogger
    Wow, that's pretty cool looking. Do I suspect a possible business opportunity for your LBS mechanic?

Do u have any closer pics?
    No, I don't have closer pics, but I can make some this w/e, if you want.

Fortes Fortuna Iuvat
    Not a rush, just curious to see exactly what materials it was comprised of (unless you don't wish to release that.)
    Maverick Durance Ano-DUC32/C KING/XTR
    Mav ML8 Ano-DUC32/X0
    Mav ML8-DUC32/I9/XTR
    09 Spec. Demo-Totem-Ti DHX
    Norco Team DH

mtbr member
    May 2006

More Info

I had the same thing happen, I called shimano and they confirmed the XT M772 cages will work on the XTR. part numbers are: Y5W710000 and Y5W798050

I'm going to try them out and report back.

mtbr member
    I have a long cage XT shadow that I want to convert to mid cage. Maybe I can share the cost of mid cages with someone in exchange for the long ones I won't need anymore.
    "It looks flexy"

STS
    mtbr member
    someone with broken carbon legs on a XTR shadow would sell me the upper link, the one that fit to the frame?

thanks

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I crashed and the inner cage hit my spokes, I think. I was crashing at the time so was not paying much attention. LBS suggested I buy an xt online and use the aluminum plate from that one. I did this and all was fine. Then my derailer sh&t the bed during a race and I put the xt plate back onto the xt derailer and put it onto my bike. This is another thread possibly:

A friend looked at my derailer and found it was fixable: I am not sure how to explain what happened but it lost tension and the philips head screw which seems to act as a travel stop had to be removed, then the body of the derailer wound up until it tensioned itself again and the screw reinserted. I have to get clear on this with him so I can fix it on trail if it happens again (need chain tool to break the chain and a philips head screw driver. My multitool ought to suffice.) I DNF'd due to this issue: several people could not figure out what happened but the same thign happened to my friend's xt and he figured out his fix then fixed mine. Oi longwinded....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by fsrftc View Post
    I had the same thing happen, I called shimano and they confirmed the XT M772 cages will work on the XTR. part numbers are: Y5W710000 and Y5W798050

I'm going to try them out and report back.
    I'm going to avoid ranting about the stupidity of using carbon fibre here - or maybe the stupidity of buying carbon fibre here

Any word on whether these worked? I think the Y5W798050 is the RD-M772 and that that is the outer cage, which unsurprisingly is the one that I broke. Where did you buy them? Are they for the long cage?

thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Just to say that nowadays XT shadows M772 plates are not compatible as is with XTR. The fixation system is not the same at all

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by yahdancer View Post
    I'm going to avoid ranting about the stupidity of using carbon fibre here - or maybe the stupidity of buying carbon fibre here

Any word on whether these worked? I think the Y5W798050 is the RD-M772 and that that is the outer cage, which unsurprisingly is the one that I broke. Where did you buy them? Are they for the long cage?

thanks
    Their are no good or bad materials only bad applications of materials and poor design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast