Nov 2006

XTR Shadow+ 1x10 chainguide needed?

I'm currently running a 1x10 drivetrain:
    S-Works crank
    Renthal single chainring
    KNC chain
    PG-1050 cassette
    XTR Shadow+ RD

Do you think I need to run a chainguide w/ this set?

mtbr member
    I would. In fact I'm about to go a similar, and even with an E-13 guide ring, I wouldn't even contemplate not running a guide. I'm going the XCX BB mount XT cranks, XT shadow + and aforementioned chain ring.

From what I've read elsewhere, without a guide the chain will still manage to fall off from time to time.
    I don't crash, I just have slightly uncontrolled dismounts!

mtbr member

Re: XTR Shadow+ 1x10 chainguide needed?

I just went to a 1x10 on my Rumblefish. Used the raceface narrow wide 36t chain ring. I have a xt shadow on the rear. First ride today I dropped the chain on the outside twice in 11 miles. So far only in high speed rooty banked turns. Never dropped it on the downhills over big hits. I assume having the bike really laid down with fast rough terrain caused it. Ordered a MRP direct mount 1x chain guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have a wolf 34t ring on a xt shadow plus rear and have yet drop a chain. Make sure your clutch is tight and turned to the on position!

XT chain and rear cassette.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by barrymtb View Post
    I just went to a 1x10 on my Rumblefish. Used the raceface narrow wide 36t chain ring. I have a xt shadow on the rear. First ride today I dropped the chain on the outside twice in 11 miles. So far only in high speed rooty banked turns. Never dropped it on the downhills over big hits. I assume having the bike really laid down with fast rough terrain caused it. Ordered a MRP direct mount 1x chain guide.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    XT Shadow or Shadow +? If you just have the regular shadow, there's your problem.

Oh, I've GOT bike money
    Quote Originally Posted by Under_Pressure View Post
    I have a wolf 34t ring on a xt shadow plus rear and have yet drop a chain. Make sure your clutch is tight and turned to the on position!

XT chain and rear cassette.
    Same here, except I'm running the Wolftooth 30t. No guides, no drops, and it's nice and quiet.

mtbr member
    race face NW on my dynasys drive train. flawless after 4 rides!
    My one says BRAP!