mtbr member
    Jul 2004

XTR M985 blowouts, changes coming?

Anyone know why the race double cranks are being heavily discounted by the online guys? Usually means a change is coming, no? Would appreciate any info as I'll be buying a new XTR crank soon. The prices look really good but I don't want to get stuck with an obsolete BCD or something.

Something weird about the lack of journo reviews on the group, i-spec not being released in the us, blowout prices etc.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I have seen this and thought it strange. If you look around you can get the 985 stuff cheaper than the 970 stuff. Something doesn't seem right about that.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    I have watched the price of XTR cranksets climb since I first bought a XTR group in 2004. I would imagine that they are struggling to sell at the price they are asking, especially in the USA. I have consistently bought Shimano stuff cheaper in Europe and from Chain Reaction Cycles. I think Shimano USA is taking us for a ride.

When did the M980 stuff come onto the market? I don't think it was much more than a year ago. I very much doubt that it is being replaced yet. I have seen that Shimano is showing new XT and SLX stuff for 2012.

Ronnie.
    The trouble with having an open mind is that people will insist on trying to put things in it.

mtbr member
    Looks like dealer cost is still the same. I'm assuming sales on them are sprouting because of competition.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Don't know about you guys, but in Australia M970 is going for the cheap, whilst the the M980 series is still quite pricey.
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY

Plays with tools
    I know there are not any changes looming for 980 but I wish those guys would stop whoring it out so I can attempt to make a living selling the stuff.

Old school BMXer
    I was in Japan a few weeks ago (during the earthquake), and I stopped in at several bike shops. Even there, 980/985 cranks and were selling for less than 970 cranks sitting right next to them! Same for many of the components. I saw this at several shops, and I thought it was quite odd!
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

weird

Something's gotta be up

mtbr member
    From a dealer standpoint, pretty much everything in the M970 gruppo is more expensive (still) than the M985 gruppo. M985 Cranks, Shifters, Derailleurs are less expensive... brakes are a little more pricey though.
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Thanks

I appreciate the intel ADDam
    Btw, treefort is great
    Now to decide between the race or trail brakes......

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    I appreciate the intel ADDam
    Btw, treefort is great
    Now to decide between the race or trail brakes......
    Thanks man! Both are pretty sick, I've had a chance to fiddle with both. I would go with race if they were for me. I tend to see what I can get away with rather than over-build.

-Adam
    Adam Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    guarantee they'll be a change, if you think XTR's cranks pricey, the BB30 world is even more pricey. Just because it uses a BB30 therefore the price tag has a huge margin. I preffered the XTR over other crank, it may not be the lightest but its nice & proven to go on and on

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

servowave

U know, i want to go with the race. I had the m970's and wasn't missing power. Thing is, i have the current xt's now and i like servowave, more specifically, how far the pads rest from the rotor

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    there is a new mech

XTR Shadow Plus rear derailleur

At the launch of the new XT, Shimano also unveiled a new XTR M985 Shadow Plus rear mech. Designed to complement the 'trail' rather than 'race' variant of the group, it has an on/off switch on its cage which can be used to add more spring tension and activate a 'friction stabilizer'.

The idea is that you switch this on to stop your chain bouncing when riding over rough terrain – preventing it from derailing or damaging your drive-side chainstay, and also cutting noise – but flick it off at the end of your ride to reduce the spring tension and make it easier to remove your rear wheel. The new mech will be available from June. There's no word yet on pricing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by velez3000
    U know, i want to go with the race. I had the m970's and wasn't missing power. Thing is, i have the current xt's now and i like servowave, more specifically, how far the pads rest from the rotor
    I'm running the trails, they're amazing brakes. I went with them over the race partially due to servo wave partially due to lever adjustment. The amount of power and modulation is nearly perfect.

In terms of XTR changes all I've seen is the new rear derailleur. It's aimed toward the trail crowd so I'm wondering if the added tension switch also increases friction/drag. I've been completely happy with my XTR rear derailleur and group after two races, one that was pretty rough. Liking it more than the 10sp X0 group I have on another bike (the X0 brakes don't even compare to the XTRs).