mtbr member
    Feb 2004

XTR M980 worth it?

Did anyone else notice Jenson is having a sale on the new XTR? I keep thinking I should get the double crankset, the sale price is nice and it looks so fast! Should I get it? Anyone else have M980 XTR, what are your thoughts?
    http://www.jensonusa.com/search/?s=M980

ups and downs
    Only if you're switching to 10 speed...
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    I went with the whole XTR shebang (26/38 crank) on a 2011Yeti 575 built up at my LBS. The aesthetics alone are worth it, but then you might have to believe in paying for art! Now if I could only find a bashguard to fit... Previously used XO 3x9 and must say that the XTR is superior and I experience much less redundancy when shifting. For your reference though, I am merely an intermediate rider, an unregistered interloper for many years on these pages, and an old man to boot, so the 26x38 seems to suit me just fine on my hilly foothills and mountain trails. Great way to spend, and I mean spend, your retirement!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would agree XTR is art. I was going to go with a mix of XT and XTR but this price is pushing me towards XTR, just need to save up a little more cash.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I was thinking of picking up the trail brakes, but then I saw the price of the replacement pads. ~$50 per wheel. ZOIKS!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I caved. I picked up the 988's. I was using XTR pads in my XT's anyways. One set a year isn't going to kill me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovin
    I caved. I picked up the 988's. I was using XTR pads in my XT's anyways. One set a year isn't going to kill me.
    You won't be disappointed. I just put a set on my bike, they are amazing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Just rode for the first time. They are super predictable, insanely powerful, don't clutter the bars much and blingy. I'm really happy with my purchase.

Fired Up, Here We Go
    Definitely. I'm running the whole race version and it is superb.
    Australian Defence Cycling Club - Team ARMY