jcard14
    Oct 2005

XTR M980 pedals vs. XTR M985 trail pedals

I've been riding the 980's for years now and love them...has anyone switched from the 980's to the trail 985's?

I ride some pretty rooty and rocky stuff and occassionaly have pedal strikes on the 980...should I expect less clearance with the 985's?

I'd love to hear any and all thoughts from those who have ridden both...TIA!
    C Knife 14
    '10 S-Works SJ...blinged out!
    '10 Blue AC1
    '11 Spot Brand Acme
    '12 S-Works SJ 29er...even more blinged out!!

I Ride Bikes
    hey I was just checking out those 985's also. I'm interested in what others here have to say about them.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Does the platform really do that much? Seem like you'd have try harder to flip the pedal into position.

mtbr member

I went from the 980s to the 985s for extra surface area support for my bad feet.
    Don't notice any more pedal strikes now than before.
    Great pedals!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003

There have been some durability issues with the 985s, you may want to consider the XT Trails instead.
    Riding slowly since 1977.

mtbr member
    Ive had mine for over a year. No problems. Same clearance and better foot contact area. Much more stability on the rough downhills.
    I also tried them on my Single Speed and it seemed to help on the grunting climbs with the wider foot contact.
    I did also notice my shoe flex going from the 980 to 985 so I had to get new shoes too.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

Been on the trail pedals since the first month they were out. Great pedals. The first few batches had some axle durability issues, but I think that has been long fixed. I installed new axles at the start of this season since my original ones were getting pretty bad with a lot of play in them. I'm heavy at 225lbs. I ride a lot of all mountain. I don't ride carefully and slam the cages into what seems every single rock I pass by. The cages are stout to say the least. They've kept their shape and work just as good as the first day. The new axles after 2 years was refreshing and felt like I had a brand new set of pedals. I'd be confident in purchasing these pedals again especially considering their price now compared to when they originally came out. Oh, and in case anyone is curious, shimano sells new axles (only directly through a LBS from what I understand) for $45 each. I was more than happy to fork out $90 to basically get another new set of pedals.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by zott View Post
    Does the platform really do that much? Seem like you'd have try harder to flip the pedal into position.
    This is true, it's significantly harder to get back in because it takes away a lot of the angle you have to play with. It's not anywhere near as easy as stepping back into 434s/545s/647s. The 30 degree cant/floating mechanism on those pedals makes it far easier to step in, plus there's a substantial platform. You give up the benefit of the "cageless" SPD pedal without gaining the benefit of the other shimano pedals designed for the gravity stuff. Other than make it harder to get back in, I didn't notice any real benefit.

The thing about these "trail" pedals is that they are so much lighter than the above mentioned pedals, so you want them, you can't resist it, you have to have them because of the minimal weight penalty and what looks like a relatively substantial platform.

I've had several of the trail pedals and now gone back. Regular SPDs are fine for "all-mountain" riding and for DH days I'll just put on some 647/545s or something. I'm past it and regular XTRs (not trail) are in my near future.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.