mtbr member
    Mar 2006

XTR M975 - Distance from Caliper to Spokes

Hi, I mounted my 2007 shimano new disc brakes last night and found the front caliper millimeters away from the spokes, I'm wondering has anyone experienced this? Is this normal? It seem dangerously close to the spokes. I have a 2007 fox talas with Crossmax SL wheels, total amount of shims is only .8 mm. I don't have a picture right now but will post one later when I get home.

Any advise/opinion?

rider

Last edited by rideronthestorm; 12-20-2006 at 05:49 PM.

mtbr member
    8mm.
    WTF.
    That is huge. thats a 3rd of an inch.some thing is not right there. either your wheel is not straight in the drop out or ..or... I dont know but that is not right. take a pic so we can see whats up. where did you get 8mm of spacers. that is about 30 of those little y shaped spacers that you get woth your brakes.

mtbr member
    Shoot sorry.
    my bad. you said .8mm not 8mm. I should get glasses.

mtbr member
    If it bothers you, you can always shim the rotors out a little and move the calipers outboard a corresponding amount. My brakes (on a Revelation) sit relatively close to the spokes as well but not any closer (or further) than the Hayes HFX I had previously...
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I just checked mine and it is at about the same distance.
    I'm running BR-M975 and the WH-M975 wheels with no porblems. I guess that is just where it is supposed to sit.