Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    I know what the "R" stands for. I remember getting it on my Kona Hei Hei titanium hardtail in 1993 when XTR first came out. And generally speaking, current XTR = next years' XT and so on. It is not only about this XTR it is about the direction they move over the next few years with the subsequent line-ups.

I also kinda suspect you might have better insight on this than us pleebz and I am sure they will offer at least 2 cassettes. So, I am basically criticizing the information that we have available so far, and the cassette range as currently documented on this forum maxes out at 40t. I'd be happy to be wrong on this!

As for the electronic, from my point of view: still too expensive, still too vulnerable for mountain bikes.

Plays with tools
    I've still got my Ti Kona Hei Hei in the garage.

Honestly I've never seen a broken Di2 RD that was crash or impact related. Roadies definitely hit the deck hard enough to do it as well. I spend a good chunk of my summers supporting road races so I feel I've got a pretty good sample size. The other thing that tends to save them is the clutch that's built into the rack and pinion. It will break away when it takes a blow saving the expensive RD. I'm sure some version of that tech will make it to the off road groups.

The good thing is that Shimano isn't giving up on mechanical drivetrains. When 7900 came out it wasn't their best effort. But Di2 was great, seems they pored all the R&D into that. But when they brought 9000 and 9070 to market it was kind of surprising. The mechanical version was twice as good as the outgoing 7900 but the 9070 was basically refinements, nothing earth shatteringly improved. Although you could argue that there wasn't much to improve.

My gut tells me Shimano will keep making a top shelf group for at least another decade, perhaps longer.

mtbr member
    I just sold that frame for $900 cash. Awesome bike and apparently, when in good condition, worth almost as much as I paid for it... over 20 years later!

I have hit the deck on my road bike more than I'd like to remember, it almost always involved the rear wheel sliding out. The bars, levers, pedals and rear derailleur take the brunt of the bike damage. And this is usually limited to cosmetic. Not saying OTB and group crashes can't have serious consequences, just that for me, they are not as common as on the trail.

On the mountain bike: over the bars and bike crashing hard on its side onto rocks, down ravines and such, or sticks/branches in the derailleur path seem to be the most common method for my rear derailleur destruction. I might be doing it wrong though.

As for Shimano's capacity to continue to make awesome quality gear, I fully agree. They just seem to perpetually make some very obtuse design/engineering choices concerning compatibility and standards and market trends.

Cleavage Of The Tetons
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by davide View Post
    the most important item is di2: It will be expensive at first, but electronic internal shifting is the future.
    fify

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    fify
    Meh.

Internals, belts, shafts, etc all loose a significant amount power due to frictional loses.

I think it'll be a long time before roller chain/derailleur systems are obsolete for top end gear.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

Sup
    If they had a 1x11 with built in battery in the rear derailleur and a wireless shift lever than they would have my interest ... till then Meh
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member

XTR Di2 - Is this for real?

Guys don't knock DI2 until you ride it. In my road bike it is phenomenal. I can understand the concerns though and the main problem is price. I have never messed up a road derailleur but have broken many MTB derailleurs. Having a XT di2 MTB set in couple years would be awesome.

Erik

Plays with tools
    Well product launch came and went and no Di2 mountain bike group. Kind of surprised by this in all honesty. Those cranks look great in person.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    I also kinda suspect you might have better insight on this than us pleebz and I am sure they will offer at least 2 cassettes. So, I am basically criticizing the information that we have available so far, and the cassette range as currently documented on this forum maxes out at 40t. I'd be happy to be wrong on this!
    OK, after the official release I still see only one cassette. This looks to be not at all what I was looking for in my next drivetrain. Perhaps an X01 cassette and FH with an XTR 11sp RD and shifter? I wonder if the cog spacings are similar?

mtbr member
    For the price, the damn thing should have a cage that snaps out over the chain, sets the gear, then retracts down and inside of the chainring to protect itself. I think they missed the boat on both Di2 implementations, restricting it's use primarily to racers. Too much dinero for something that will get whacked or meet the ground from time to time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Flamingtaco View Post
    For the price, the damn thing should have a cage that snaps out over the chain, sets the gear, then retracts down and inside of the chainring to protect itself. I think they missed the boat on both Di2 implementations, restricting it's use primarily to racers. Too much dinero for something that will get whacked or meet the ground from time to time.
    Meh....CX dudes use them at the top level and don't have any more issues than the mechanical groups. I'd wager that CX bikes takes more abuse than a XC bike.

I'm more shocked guys will spend $1800 on (2) enve rims.

Di2 is less about immediate performance to me....more about consistent shifting over time without the worry of adjustment, water intrusion, sticky shifting, mud, etc.

In the infamous words of Ron Popeil, "set it and forget it".

N

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2