mtbr member

XTR DI2 - Let's Start a Rumor

So I was as the Boulder Cup CX races this weekend and I noticed Adam Craig was running a DI2 electric shifting setup on his cross bike. It was a mudfest. I also noticed he was one of the few guys not switching out to his spare bike. He said it worked great. This race was almost as sloppy as it gets so if it worked here it will work on an MTB. I predict XTR electric in 2011. Here are some pictures.
    XTR DI2 - Let's Start a Rumor-di2-rear.jpg
    XTR DI2 - Let's Start a Rumor-di2-front.jpg

mtbr member
    Just a matter of time.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    it is on it'sway.

10 speed, DI3 XTR option in 2011

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Wow, a major cross chain. In mud. Wonder if it makes noise. What lube is he using?

So electronic shifting is ok but not suspension or disk brakes? Weird sports, don't you think?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    Wow, a major cross chain. In mud. Wonder if it makes noise. What lube is he using?
    just like the roughnecks in an oil field, mud is the best lube to use out there

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Electronic shifting and 10S go hand and hand. I think it's the best thing Shimano's got to go up against SRAM and their 1:1 actuation ratio.

Because DI2 is servo driven, the derailleur knows where it is, so any issues with cable stretch causing mis-shifts goes away. Until the derailleur alarms out due to over-torque, the grimier the conditions get, electronic shifting has more and more of an advantage compared to cable actuated systems. With electronic shifting, even 11S MTBs become possible. If I ever do upgrade to 10S on my MTB, I'd personally rather have an electronic system rather than a cable actuated one. I wonder when we'll get DI2 on Deore XT...

mtbr member
    I won't even pay for a cable actuated XTR or X.0 RD for a mountain bike, because I know there's a decent chance I'll break it off at some point. The DI2 DA derailleur retails for what, $800 or so? Fuuuuuuck that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I'll buy a XTR shifter/deraileur/cassette/chainring setup as soon as they come out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Mechs are cable operated in this pic:

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    more details please

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    10 speed rear block, double or triple up front and thats about all i have seen up to now.

LA CHÈVRE
    Sven Nys and Niels Albert have been riding Di2 bikes all season, dry, wet, muddy, snow, freezing, apparently working very well for them... although I have seen Nys having some dropped chains in races, he broke a derailleur once too I think but I'm not sure what was the cause for the chain drops. Maybe Di2 is still not 100% perfect for off-road, I'm sure they already have working testing prototypes though.

Quote Originally Posted by hatake
    On a road and cross bike, riding BIG BIG is not a problem, the crankset chainline is much smaller so the big ring is not as much 'out' as on a typical mountain bike with a outboard BB and the cowboy stance it results. Actually, road groups are designed so that in the big ring, you can use all the cassette, and in the small ring, almost all the cassette. A well designed 2x9 or 2x10 crankset works the same way.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 01-19-2010 at 02:04 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    On a road and cross bike, riding BIG BIG is not a problem, the crankset chainline is much smaller so the big ring is not as much 'out' as on a typical mountain bike with a outboard BB and the cowboy stance it results.
    Thanks Dan for the info - I actually did not know that it was ok on cross bikes (obviously I don't own one). Something new, to me.