Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XTR Di2

10K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Pas de Dopage 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard any rumors, rumblings or seen foreshadowings of an XTR Di2 Grouppo?

Typically DA gets a new line and then XTR is soon to follow. I think that Zapping your Mountain bike into gear may have even better application than on your roadbike?

Anyone... Anyone?

#3 ·
I've been out of touch with Shimano for a while but I do recall a conversation that mentioned Di2X was a consideration for the 2011 XTR group set. However, I am not convinced that Shimano will go down this route too soon. It may be an option with 2011 XTR (which will be 10 speed btw but have both 3x10 and 2x10 options - my prediction) perhaps but it will be a while yet before the derailleur cable is completely dead. There simply is not enough skill around the LBS to troubleshoot the software on a large scale. Dura Ace Di2 is a sort of loss leader and market acceptance product that will pave the way for a fully fledged Di3R, Di3T and Di3M groupsets that will have full programmable functionality via pc for all users.

The first problem is not the technology, but the market acceptance where Shimano has been stung many times for trying new things too fast. Look at Dual Control, still the best mechanical shifter on the planet but that got shot down by the more conservative's amung us.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.