Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XTR DC rear shift lever won't release on

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Mountainbikextremist 
#1 · (Edited)
downshifts (going to smaller cog with a XT Rapid Raise rear derailleur). The rightside 2004 XTR Dual Control Hydro shift lever just started sticking after I push the lever down to shift, I get the next gear fine but I'm force to pull the lever back up, otherwise it stays in the down position. Up shifts click great. This problem just started towards the end of long 6+ hour ride in the woods, perfect shifts all summer long until last Sunday. The previous month I had replaced the 9 sp XT 11x34 cog set, new Shimano SIS rear shift housing (just the rear loop), new XT 9sp chain, new RD XTR inner cable this spring and a new 05 XT RR rear derailleur (bent the old one).
I did notice that the small black plastic cover that protects the shift lever pivot bolt is missing, but I'm sure it's only a cosmetic cover. I went ahead and lubed the whole length of the rear derailleur inner cable, but it didn't make any difference. Tried a small drop of TriFlow on the lever pivots but the lever still sticks.
Is the shifter worn or is something gumming up the internals of the DC mechanism? It feels sticky when I try to pull the lever back to the center position, If I don't pull the lever back up it'll stay in the down position.
Thoughts and recommendations?

#2 ·
You can try removing the cover and seeing if there is anything gumming it up and since you tried the triflow on the pivot points and worked it in and it didnt help I would send them in. Maybe they will update the internals or give you last years model. Sure cant beat to try. :thumbsup:

#3 · (Edited)
After inspecting the shifter and pulling the plastic shifter covers off to spray some silicone into the pivots I was able to get the shift lever to return freely. Brake/shift lever returns after a down-shift fine but once I tighten down the shifter's plastic covers it started sticking again-but not quite as bad as before the lubing though. I loosened the top cover screws about 1/2 turn and the lever will return after a down-shift, but tightening the cover screws makes the lever sticky. Something seems to be rubbing the top cover, or tightening the covers causes a worn shifter pivot to bind or stick.

#5 ·
Somewhat. It looks like one of shift lever pivots is worn, so when I shift, the worn pivot presses against the shift cover and sticks (won't release). It's been awhile since I opened the shifter up, but I think it's the top cover that's pressing against one of the pivots, I discovered it when I was re-tightening the cover screws. Now I have the screws backed off 1/2 turn so the cover moves a little bit and lever releases easily.

#6 ·
OffRoadRoadie said:
downshifts (going to smaller cog with a XT Rapid Raise rear derailleur). The rightside 2004 XTR Dual Control Hydro shift lever just started sticking after I push the lever down to shift, I get the next gear fine but I'm force to pull the lever back up, otherwise it stays in the down position. Up shifts click great. This problem just started towards the end of long 6+ hour ride in the woods, prefect shifts all summer long until last Sunday. The previous month I had replaced the 9 sp XT 11x34 cog set, new Shimano SIS rear shift housing (just the rear loop), new XT 9sp chain, new RD XTR inner cable this spring and a new 05 XT RR rear derailleur (bent the old one).
I need notice that the small black plastic cover that protects the shift lever pivot bolt is missing, but I'm sure it's only a cosmetic cover. I went ahead and lubed the whole length of the rear derailleur inner cable, but it didn't make any difference. Tried a small drop of TriFlow on the lever pivots but the lever still sticks.
Is the shifter worn or is something gumming up the internals of the DC mechanism? It feels sticky when I try to pull the lever back to the center position, If I don't pull the lever back up it'll stay in the down position.
Thoughts and recommendations?
Try and grease your cable housings...if that doenst work get new cable housings....if that doesnt work....lube all of the pivots and overhaul...if that doesnt work, or if you dont feel comfortable working on your shifters, call shimano or talk to you LBS.

#7 ·
The cables were already cleaned and greased with a new rear loop housing and inner cable installed before the problem cropped up. My LBS inspected the DC shifter and both us feel that the shift cover is holding up the release of the shift lever, either because of shift cover damage or because the shifter pivots are worn and sloppy. We're sure it's the latter.

#8 ·
OffRoadRoadie said:
The cables were already cleaned and greased with a new rear loop housing and inner cable installed before the problem cropped up. My LBS inspected the DC shifter and both us feel that the shift cover is holding up the release of the shift lever, either because of shift cover damage or because the shifter pivots are worn and sloppy. We're sure it's the latter.
Glad to hear you got it worked out:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.