Thread: XTR 980 Pedals

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

XTR 980 Pedals

Hey All-

I searched thru some theads, but couldnt find any info on this. I recently replaced a set of 970's with a set of 980 pedals. Upon installation had a heck of a time clipping in. Everything is installed as it should be, but there is a ton of friction/interference between the sole of my shoe (Specialized Pro Carbon mtn) and the pedal bodies platform. I guess I could shim the cleats with something (re: Crank Bros sole guards??). There is so much contact/interference I cant clip in most of the time, and when I do, there is zero float.

Has anyone else experienced this? I called Shimano and they said they have heard of it and offered no solution. Just wondering what folks were doing to circumvent this problem.

Thanks-

mtbr member

980 xtr pedals

I am using the 980 Trail series pedals with my Specialized Comp MTB shoes ( 01117-38420) with Shimano "multi-release" cleats.

I have not experienced your predicament in clipping in. I have not modified the sole nor removed material from the sole.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I have the exact same setup as as Rey Recinto with no problems at all. I am also using a set of Spec Trail 120 shoes with no problems. And I have been using them in a very icing New England winter when many of my cleats/ pedals are useless due to the icing. This new combo has been fantastic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TrekSErider
    Hey All-

I searched thru some theads, but couldnt find any info on this. I recently replaced a set of 970's with a set of 980 pedals. Upon installation had a heck of a time clipping in. Everything is installed as it should be, but there is a ton of friction/interference between the sole of my shoe (Specialized Pro Carbon mtn) and the pedal bodies platform. I guess I could shim the cleats with something (re: Crank Bros sole guards??). There is so much contact/interference I cant clip in most of the time, and when I do, there is zero float.

Has anyone else experienced this? I called Shimano and they said they have heard of it and offered no solution. Just wondering what folks were doing to circumvent this problem.

Thanks-
    I had this problem with Specialized Comp shoes and 970 pedals although not as bad as you are describing. I dremeled off a bit of the sole (not the part where the cleat attaches but the actual tread part that touches the ground) and all is good.
    Romani ite domum