mtbr member
    Sep 2005

XTR 970 cranks creaking

Has anyone had an issue with their XTR cranks creaking? Made me crazy yesterday, I was appologizing to everyone I encountered for the noise.

I pulled the cranks and bottom bracket last night and cleaned and re-greased BB put them pack together and rode up and down the street and creak creak creak.

Anyone got and ideas? I was not able to use a torque wrench during the process so now Im wondering if that could be it. Thanks for the help.

thecentralscrutinizer
    How old are they, how many miles are on them?? Did you grease the spacer that go between the cup and frame? Were the bearings still running smooth? Pedals?
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Cranks are one month old and have about 200 miles on them. Using Eggbeaters. I greased the BB face but not the spacers themselves.

Pat

thecentralscrutinizer
    I put a little grease/antiseize on everything when I assembled mine. Process of elimination is the only route you may have to find the noise. I have a little more mileage on mine and have not yet had a problem, but I'm sure this dust will eventually work it's way into something down there.

Good luck.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Thanks, I'll keep chasing the creak. If I figure it out I'll let you know.

mtbr member
    has your frame been faced. if there is paint between the frame and the BB you can develope creaking where they meet.
    could also be the eggbeaters rubbing on the sole of your shoe. the 2 bars have a bad reputation for wearing into the carbon or plastic sole of cycling shoes. I've even seen the soles cut by the pedals.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yes, the nice folks at Niner face all their BB's before shipping. I suspected the pedals at first, but after last nights disassembly, cleaning, and greasing I rode the bike with flip flops and it creaked. In the garrage I stood on one crank and lifted my foot and CREAK! Tonight I'm going to take the seatpost completly out of the bike and ride around the block and see if it creaks.

mtbr member
    check the chainring bolts for cracks... make sure they are greased and tight.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Found the squeak. Turns out everytime you push on the cranks, whether pedaling or standing in the garrage the other part that recieves torque is the rear skewer, which in my case was a little bent! Replaced the skewer with another I had laying around and problem solved. Funny how the creaking from one part of the bike can sound like it's coming from somewhere else, damn scandium. Thanks for all the feedback and help.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Cool. Glad you found it.
    2015 Kona JTS
    2014 Scott Scale 710
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5

Vaginatarian
    Oct 2005
    yeah, first thing I allways check when squeeks come out is the seatpost and stem clamp
    clean and relube the post and cleaning the clamp works 99% of the time. but the creaking will echo up and down the frame tubing making it hard to find

Members who have read this thread: 0