mtbr member
    May 2011

XTR 2007 crankset FC-M970

Hi, do you know if I can use my old XTR 2007 crankset FC-M970 with the new front derailleur FD-M981?

the catalan connection
    If Ive understand correctly what I have read about 9-10 parts compatibility you should match the derailleur type only with its crankset type.(9 sp front derailleurs only with 9 speed cranks and so on)
    There is a huge thread explaining most issues when mixing 9-10 parts.Here:
    Dyna Sys 10 speed compatability with 9 speed (Shimano systems)

And welcome to the forums!
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I am the guy who started the thread the previous poster linked. I had read in magazines that using a 10 speed front derailleur with a 9 speed crankset would work, but not optimally. However I am currently running a complete XTR 10 speed drivetrain but using the 9 speed M970 crankset. I have absolutely no problems with it despite what the magazines all claimed. So the answer is yes, you can use them together, as long as you are using a 10 speed chain.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Thank you for your answer, I would like to use my old XTR 2007 group on the new bike.
    3-9 crankset, 9 speed XTR cassette and 9 speed rear derailleur. On the new bike I must mount the new XTR direct mount front derailleur, so I was asking if in your opinion then new FD will work fine with the old crankset. The group should be all XTR 2007 9 speed with the exception of the front derailleur.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ops... googling I've found this: "The Shimano XTR Direct Mount Triple Front Derailleur FD-M981 is specifically designed for use with Shimano's XTR Trail Triple Crankset and 10-speed XTR chain, and the maximum chainring size is 42 teeth"

My maximum chainring is 44... may be I can change the 44 with a 42... mmh...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleSinger View Post
    Ops... googling I've found this: "The Shimano XTR Direct Mount Triple Front Derailleur FD-M981 is specifically designed for use with Shimano's XTR Trail Triple Crankset and 10-speed XTR chain, and the maximum chainring size is 42 teeth"

My maximum chainring is 44... may be I can change the 44 with a 42... mmh...
    As I said, I am currently using this derailleur with a 44, with no problems. You will have to use a 10 speed chain though.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    As I said, I am currently using this derailleur with a 44, with no problems. You will have to use a 10 speed chain though.
    Ok, thank you very much!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Another yes on this, I have a Dyna-Sys XT M770 E-type with an M760 XT crank.