Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT vs. LX cranks

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  mtb_biker 
#1 ·
I asked this on the drivetrain forum. A couple of questions:

Are the LX and XT external bottom brackets exactly the same. I know you could use either and they play fine together but are they actually the same bottom bracket. I have an XT crank on one bike and LX on the other and neither bottom bracket says XT or LX.

I am trying to decide if I sould pull the LX off my race bike and throw the XT on it or are they so close that it is a waste of time. The LX is brand new and the XT is about a year old.

#2 ·
I have Hone and XT cranks... and they have the exact same BB cups... Hone is the same as LX, just different finish...

The biggest difference is the weight of both cranks... the axle is alu on the LX and butted CrMo on the XT (which is actually lighter than the LX one) and the small ring on the LX is steel while Alu on the XT... so the difference is definitely not night and day....

#8 · (Edited)
Ranger Pride said:
I assume by insert you mean the ridge where the pedal screws in. If it has that which my LX cranks do are you suppose to use the pedal washers?
No... that ridge is normal... the pedal axle will cover it.. no washer needed. The inserts we refer to are a reinforcement usually used in DH/FR cranksets; instead of making the threads on the aluminum of the crankarm, a steel insert is added to reinforce the area where the pedal is inserted.

EDIT: See the image of the 2 ring Hone below

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.