Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur - available when?

27K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  piccirilli 
#1 ·
I see BTI lists them as do a few websites, but nothing in stock yet. Anyone have any idea when they are supposed to be available?

Thanks.

#15 ·
All the adds I have read for the XT and SLX shadow+ rear derailleur say it is compatible with 9 speed shifters and cassetts. If that is true there would have to be two different ways to attach the shifter cable (two pinch bolts at different spacing). Can anyone who owns one of these derailleurs confirm this?

#16 ·
I think their 10 speed only. I just fitted one on mine.
Mine was a 2x9 set up so I fitted a 11-36 10speed cassette, 10 speed chain and 10 speed shifter. I kept the 9speed xt crank and fitted a 36 and 26 9speed rings $300 including xt plus derailleur.
Shifts and runs like a dream best $300 upgrade ever

#19 ·
Quick question. I am looking to replace my XT RD-M780 SGS (11-36) on my Scott Scale 29er. I bent the cage and broke a few other parts, but got it back together so I can ride it. I looking at the shadow plus, but XT, ZEE, or Saint? Long cage or short? I'd like to keep it at or below $200. What is the downfall or benefit of a short cage/long cage?

#21 ·
How many rings up front? Normally as the poster below mentoined 2x10 is mid cage, and 1x10 is short.

I run 1x10 and ordered the XT Shadow+, before I realized I mis-read the info and the Zee comes in a short cage version that can handle a 36t cassette. I thought it was only good up to 34t when I originally ordered the XT.

I like the XT, but I've got a Zee coming I will replace it with. If I can run a short cage that's what I want.

#25 ·
I demoed a Trance X with XT stuff on it. That day I was in the park riding my singlespeed, so going to the Trance with Shadow Plus was eerily similar as far as drivetrain noise goes. Since I'm used to nothing, all I heard was the rollers on the dry chain. Awesome.
I remember getting on my FS bike that just has a Deore RD, and how noisy it is. When I get the cash, I'm upgrading that bike for sure.

I feel like the downshift effort would be easy to get used to. As it was, I didn't use it too much (singlespeeding makes you forget to use them), but it felt okay to me. It's kind of like an incentive to not downshift ;)

I'm also eager to see how Type 2 compares. The adjustability in Shadow Plus leads me to predict it will be able to outlast type 2 as far as wear goes, but I don't really know. As this tech trickles down, it will be great for everyone.

And I wonder what Cross riders have to think about this. It seems like SRAM would have the edge here because Dyna-Sys doesn't work with road shifters, but SRAM stuff works with their road shifters.
The first company to have a drop bar shifter/hydraulic brake/damped derailleur combo would make a killer cross bike.

#26 · (Edited)
Shimano Shadow plus works with 9 speed drive train

As most of you know, Shimano is claiming all the shadow + derailleurs are strictly 10 speed. I am one of those who refuse to 'downgrade' to a 10 speed, sorry but I'd would rather spend the couple hundred $ on something more practical. Besides I discovered it's possible to create a 2X9 9 speed drive train with a greater gear ratio compared to 10 speed. 22/36 up front, 11-34 in back. But that's for another discussion..
Somewhere on MTB, someone posted a 'hack' to make it work with 9 speed, In short the hack consists of a 1/4" spacer where the shifter cable is bolted to the derailleur. Spacing the cable out changes the pull rate so it approximates a 9 speed version. Most importantly however the shifter must be a SRAM coupled with the the Shimano shadow + Again, this effects the pull rate.
I recently installed a Zee short cage expecting to do the above hack, but found out it wasn't necessary. Coupled with a Sram shifter, the Zee shifting works fine without mods. So good news to those runniing a single up front and want to eliminate chain slap. BTW, I already had a chain retention device, but the Zee is far more effective. No more chain slap into spokes. Yay.

#29 ·
Quick dumbass question... :eek: Does the xt plus derailleurs need specific shifters or just the normal ?

Also does anybody know which length of cage I will need for a 2013 trek superfly al elite please ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
So from what I have read no special shifters required :eek: lock is on the derailleur. Looks like I need the medium cage too?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.