Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur - available when?

I see BTI lists them as do a few websites, but nothing in stock yet. Anyone have any idea when they are supposed to be available?

Thanks.
    If jackasses could fly this place would be an airport.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    available now. it's already on my bike. Best upgrade ever

XT Shadow Plus rear derailleur - available when?-2012-06-21-20.45.05.jpg

mtbr member
    Where'd you get it from? I can't find it anywhere.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Awesome!

Just in time for my Tallboy LTc build!

mtbr member
    I was able to find a few in stock in stores located in Europe (not sure how reputable however.) I found stores in the US that had them on their web pages, but not in stock.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Universal Cycles has the Zee rear. IDK about the XTs. I've been waiting anxiously for the ZEE. Why not just get the Zee. A little more beefy, available in a true short cage (like the old 8 spd short cages, really short) that will accommodate 36T. UC has them listed for only $102. Not bad at all.

Universal Cycles -- Shimano ZEE M640 Rear Derailleur - 10 Speed
    We Ride In God's Country!

mtbr member
    They have the XT too, I ordered mine yesterday.

mtbr member
    Its available here in NZ on line.

mtbr member
    Is the clutch feature only on 10 speed derailleurs?

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Mine showed up yesterday afternoon, I'm going to try to find time to install it tonight.

And yes, I *think* it's only on 10 speed.

mtbr member
    Can you get away without using a chain guide on a 1x10 setup with one of these?

mtbr member
    I've no idea. I've only got one ride on mine and I love it, but it was a fairly tame trail. I really need to take it down a few fast rough trails to get a better idea.

Might be possible though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rscecil007 View Post
    I've no idea. I've only got one ride on mine and I love it, but it was a fairly tame trail. I really need to take it down a few fast rough trails to get a better idea.

Might be possible though.
    Guess there is one way to find out ehh? The Chili sucks up the bumps pretty well so maybe we could... At the least, I bet we could get away with just a top guide.

mtbr member
    yeah i agree, I was thinking a top guide might work as well. Wonder what a MRP top guide costs? I'll have to look into it.

mtbr member
    All the adds I have read for the XT and SLX shadow+ rear derailleur say it is compatible with 9 speed shifters and cassetts. If that is true there would have to be two different ways to attach the shifter cable (two pinch bolts at different spacing). Can anyone who owns one of these derailleurs confirm this?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whydomylegshurt? View Post
    All the adds I have read for the XT and SLX shadow+ rear derailleur say it is compatible with 9 speed shifters and cassetts. If that is true there would have to be two different ways to attach the shifter cable (two pinch bolts at different spacing). Can anyone who owns one of these derailleurs confirm this?
    I think their 10 speed only. I just fitted one on mine.
    Mine was a 2x9 set up so I fitted a 11-36 10speed cassette, 10 speed chain and 10 speed shifter. I kept the 9speed xt crank and fitted a 36 and 26 9speed rings $300 including xt plus derailleur.
    Shifts and runs like a dream best $300 upgrade ever

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    No it is strictly 10spd. I noticed that all the websites said 9spd as well. I'm not sure why that it is. My SLX shadow plus was definitely 10spd.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the input, I also gave Shimano a call and confirmed that you are both correct. The derailleurs are 10 speed only.

mtbr member
    Quick question. I am looking to replace my XT RD-M780 SGS (11-36) on my Scott Scale 29er. I bent the cage and broke a few other parts, but got it back together so I can ride it. I looking at the shadow plus, but XT, ZEE, or Saint? Long cage or short? I'd like to keep it at or below $200. What is the downfall or benefit of a short cage/long cage?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    generally 3X10 will need the long cage and 2X10 the mid cage
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jtemple42000 View Post
    Quick question. I am looking to replace my XT RD-M780 SGS (11-36) on my Scott Scale 29er. I bent the cage and broke a few other parts, but got it back together so I can ride it. I looking at the shadow plus, but XT, ZEE, or Saint? Long cage or short? I'd like to keep it at or below $200. What is the downfall or benefit of a short cage/long cage?
    How many rings up front? Normally as the poster below mentoined 2x10 is mid cage, and 1x10 is short.

I run 1x10 and ordered the XT Shadow+, before I realized I mis-read the info and the Zee comes in a short cage version that can handle a 36t cassette. I thought it was only good up to 34t when I originally ordered the XT.

I like the XT, but I've got a Zee coming I will replace it with. If I can run a short cage that's what I want.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Just received my mid cage XT Shadow + w/direct mount on my Tallboy LTc build. Seems to be just as effective as the XTR equivalent with a small step down in overall build quality. The bike is deadly quiet except for my angry bee hubs :P

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Why hasn't Shimano updated their site yet to show the XT +? And why are there only a handful of online retailers that are listing it?
    Living in Houston makes me more of a Ditch Bike Rider

Man my bike needs a better motor

I <3 dirt
    I just installed my new xt shadow plus derailleur and was surprised how tough it made the shift lever action. Haven't ridden it yet but just riding around the block I can already tell its dead quiet. Can't wait to compare it with the x9 type 2!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I demoed a Trance X with XT stuff on it. That day I was in the park riding my singlespeed, so going to the Trance with Shadow Plus was eerily similar as far as drivetrain noise goes. Since I'm used to nothing, all I heard was the rollers on the dry chain. Awesome.
    I remember getting on my FS bike that just has a Deore RD, and how noisy it is. When I get the cash, I'm upgrading that bike for sure.

I feel like the downshift effort would be easy to get used to. As it was, I didn't use it too much (singlespeeding makes you forget to use them), but it felt okay to me. It's kind of like an incentive to not downshift

I'm also eager to see how Type 2 compares. The adjustability in Shadow Plus leads me to predict it will be able to outlast type 2 as far as wear goes, but I don't really know. As this tech trickles down, it will be great for everyone.

And I wonder what Cross riders have to think about this. It seems like SRAM would have the edge here because Dyna-Sys doesn't work with road shifters, but SRAM stuff works with their road shifters.
    The first company to have a drop bar shifter/hydraulic brake/damped derailleur combo would make a killer cross bike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast