Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Shimano Shadow plus works with 9 speed drive train

As most of you know, Shimano is claiming all the shadow + derailleurs are strictly 10 speed. I am one of those who refuse to 'downgrade' to a 10 speed, sorry but I'd would rather spend the couple hundred $ on something more practical. Besides I discovered it's possible to create a 2X9 9 speed drive train with a greater gear ratio compared to 10 speed. 22/36 up front, 11-34 in back. But that's for another discussion..
    Somewhere on MTB, someone posted a 'hack' to make it work with 9 speed, In short the hack consists of a 1/4" spacer where the shifter cable is bolted to the derailleur. Spacing the cable out changes the pull rate so it approximates a 9 speed version. Most importantly however the shifter must be a SRAM coupled with the the Shimano shadow + Again, this effects the pull rate.
    I recently installed a Zee short cage expecting to do the above hack, but found out it wasn't necessary. Coupled with a Sram shifter, the Zee shifting works fine without mods. So good news to those runniing a single up front and want to eliminate chain slap. BTW, I already had a chain retention device, but the Zee is far more effective. No more chain slap into spokes. Yay.
    Last edited by piccirilli; 09-22-2012 at 10:29 PM.

I <3 dirt
    That's interesting and awesome.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quick dumbass question... Does the xt plus derailleurs need specific shifters or just the normal ?

Also does anybody know which length of cage I will need for a 2013 trek superfly al elite please ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by indyjonesuk View Post
    Quick dumbass question... Does the xt plus derailleurs need specific shifters or just the normal ?

Also does anybody know which length of cage I will need for a 2013 trek superfly al elite please ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    So from what I have read no special shifters required lock is on the derailleur. Looks like I need the medium cage too?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

I <3 dirt
    So from what I have read no special shifters required lock is on the derailleur. Looks like I need the medium cage too?

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    Are you using 3 rings or 2 up front? It's pretty standard to use a long cage for 3 rings and a medium for 2 or 1.

No special shifter needed as long as its a 10 speed shimano.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Are you using 3 rings or 2 up front? It's pretty standard to use a long cage for 3 rings and a medium for 2 or 1.

No special shifter needed as long as its a 10 speed shimano.
    Its three rings up front with an xt crank. Looks like the medium is fine ?

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    That's based on the information from here :

http://www.bike-discount.de/shop/a72...l?lg=en&cr=GBP

Sent from my Galaxy S3

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    So has anyone mated the new xt shadow clutch to a 9 speed shimano shifter, cassette, and chain?

dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote "So has anyone mated the new xt shadow clutch to a 9 speed shimano shifter, cassette, and chain?"

Somewhere on these forums, someone posted a hack to make these shadow plus ders work with a 9 speed drive train. He had posted a nice photo showing the details. The issue is the shadow plus has a slightly different pull ratio compared to a standard 9 sp der. If you plan to use an xt/xtr shadow long cage der, you'll need to add a 1/4" spacer where the shifter cable is clamped to the derailluer. In addition, you'll need to swap out your Shimano shifter for a SRAM shifter. Apparently SRAM shifters have a different pull rate compared to Shimano and in this case works to increase the needed pull offset.
    If you going with shortcage der like the Zee shadow, (single chainring upfront), no need for the spacer. Just swap out the shifter for a SRAM and your good to go. Supposedly the Zee will work with a 2X10 setup, but I havent' confirmed this. I've been running a 9 spd 1X9 setup with a zee shadow plus since summer, and it's working flawlessly. You can find details on the Zee der setup in a separate thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by piccirilli View Post
    Quote "So has anyone mated the new xt shadow clutch to a 9 speed shimano shifter, cassette, and chain?"

Somewhere on these forums, someone posted a hack to make these shadow plus ders work with a 9 speed drive train. He had posted a nice photo showing the details. The issue is the shadow plus has a slightly different pull ratio compared to a standard 9 sp der. If you plan to use an xt/xtr shadow long cage der, you'll need to add a 1/4" spacer where the shifter cable is clamped to the derailluer. In addition, you'll need to swap out your Shimano shifter for a SRAM shifter. Apparently SRAM shifters have a different pull rate compared to Shimano and in this case works to increase the needed pull offset.
    If you going with shortcage der like the Zee shadow, (single chainring upfront), no need for the spacer. Just swap out the shifter for a SRAM and your good to go. Supposedly the Zee will work with a 2X10 setup, but I havent' confirmed this. I've been running a 9 spd 1X9 setup with a zee shadow plus since summer, and it's working flawlessly. You can find details on the Zee der setup in a separate thread.
    Thanks for all that.

If I decide to go to the 10 speed (not sure I will chain strength is an issue) can I still run my xt 9 speed cranks if it is only a one ringer up front? I would have to go to a 10 speed single ring right? 9 speed is too thick?

thanks,

dave

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    If you are already running or planning to run a single chain ring up front, don't bother with replacing anything for 10 speed. All you will need is a 9 speed SRAM shifter. I chose to stick with my 9 speed for the same reasons. That is a stronger longer lasting chain, cheaper components, etc. If you are not overly concerned about weight, get the Zee (freeride version compatible with 11-34 cassette). The Zee is a more durable version of the short cage XT, and probably cheaper too. Look at the specs, I would be surprised if it weighed more than 25 grams over the xt shadow plus.
    There are some who have converted to 2X10 using the Zee, but I see no reason a 2X9 would not work, as long as you did not exceed the gear ratio for the short cage. Search for the Zee-licous thread for details.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Zee is basically just a short cage SLX Shadow+, with an option (at purchase) for "DH" or "FR" B-link plates. The price is equivalent to SLX.

Saint is equivalent in price to XTR, but is very durable instead of being lightweight. They both have the best finishes (bling).
    XT is basically XTR tech with cheaper materials and finishes.

mtbr member

That's based on the information from here :

Shimano XT Rear Derailleur 10-speed RD-M786 GS Shadow+ black

Sent from my Galaxy S3
    It all depends on what ratios you are running, and the total capacity is the most important figure from the ones you linked to. That's the difference in teeth between your small/small combination, and your big/big. If you've got typical 24/32/42 XT triple cranks matched to an 11/36 cassette, then your capacity is (42+36) - (24+11) = 43T, so you'd be well over the 35T capacity of a medium cage!

Edit: Sorry, just realised your original post was a few months ago, so its probably way too late to be telling you this...

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hi guys, I am looking for the guy who made the pimp little block for the derailleur clamp to change the leverage a little to make perfect. I was after the exact dimensions so I can machine one at work while I am at sea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by casmac80 View Post
    Hi guys, I am looking for the guy who made the pimp little block for the derailleur clamp to change the leverage a little to make perfect. I was after the exact dimensions so I can machine one at work while I am at sea.
    The basic distance you are spacing the mounting point out to is .233" away from the original position You will need to maintain the lip just like the original mounting point and also mill a step in the bottom so it keys exactly and does not spin. All of the other dimensions you can get from the actual deraileur.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    so if using a medium cage SLX shadow plus with 2 x 9 setup would you need the spacer?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulga Bill View Post
    so if using a medium cage SLX shadow plus with 2 x 9 setup would you need the spacer?
    Try without it first. You may not need the spacer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2