mtbr member
    Jul 2007

XT M780 Shifters and I-Spec Setup

I'm currently running a 1x10 setup (with homebrew spiderless ring on XTR 952 arms) with an XT 780 drivetrain and full XT 785 brakeset. I ended up buying a pair (even though I'm only currently using the right/rear side) of new M780 shifters with the I-Spec mounts. Now I'm thinking I actually miss some of the adjustability of the dual clamp, traditional setup. So, I'm strongly considering ditching I-Spec and going back to the standard.

I can't seem to turn anything up online indicating that Shimano sells the clamps alone for 780-era shifters, so I'm thinking that there isn't likely to be an official way to get the clamps without buying a full set of shifters (with the gear indicators as well) and doing some sort of swap.

Has anyone out there run into this (self-created) dilemma? Anyone with knowledge of whether these kinds of small parts can be found through Shimano?
    And, is there anyone out there, by chance, with 780 shifters who wants I-Spec mounts and is willing to trade?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Have you tried ordering them through your LBS? Hwever, I don't think that it would be that uncommon to find someone happy with their conversion from clamps to ispec, so you will probably be able to get lucky. I have two sets of xtr clamp covers, I love the ispec concept, I was worried it wouldn't be stiff enough, and wobble all over the place, but it is rock solid.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I looked into with the LBS, and one place online....but nothing was showing up currently. However, these shifters are still pretty new anyway, so things might change as they become the standard, not the "new" version.

I completely agree on the solidity of the connection. It's pretty darn impressive how simple the whole thing is, yet how totally rock solid the connection remains. I love the look and feel of the single clamp on the bar as well. Unfortunately, though, I'd like to have more adjustment range, and maybe even the option of swapping the order of the levers on the bar (yes, I knew when I got I-Spec this wouldn't ever be an option, but adjusting to the new brake levers as well leaves me wanting all possible options).

So, I might post a WTT piece in the classifieds as well, but figured this forum might be a good spot too.