mtbr member
    Jan 2010

XT M775 or SLX with Mavic 317

Hello,

I am ordering a new bike that comes with SLX hubs and Mavic 317's. Currently at another LBS, there is an XT wheelset that has come down in price quite a bit. I'm curious if this would be a worthwhile upgrade. Really, I would be adding cost to my new bike build for tubeless compatibility and possibly a lighter wheelset. However, I've read great things about the SLX hubs and know that I can ghetto rig a tubless setup with the Mavics, but do you think I should start off by getting the better wheelset to begin with?

Forgot to mention, I mainly do trail riding.

Thanks!
    Last edited by TWRC; 02-22-2010 at 07:49 AM.

Former Bike Wrench
    The XT M775 wheelset has come down in price because the rear hub has been a warranty nightmare with failed FH Bodies and broken axles. If you get them, keep the stock wheelset around for a spare so you can still ride if your XT's go down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I've been reading up on the XT wheels since making this post and it does seem that a lot of people are having issues with them. That said, what's everyone's take on the SLX hubs?

Former Bike Wrench
    The SLX uses good old CroMoly axles (the new XT is aluminum) so the broken axle issues are non existant. The FH Body is the same one on the new "29er" Shimano hubs (part #Y-3D3-98070) so it's plenty burly!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    That's awesome to know. I just wish these hubs were laced to something a bit nicer than the 317s.

Former Bike Wrench
    Quote Originally Posted by TWRC
    That's awesome to know. I just wish these hubs were laced to something a bit nicer than the 317s.
    Yea...but the 317 is a good rim and when your ready to step up, get those hubs laced to some Stans Arch or Flows.

With regular maintenance those hubs will last a very long time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    I'm sold! I've had bad luck in the past with hubs and it sounds like the new SLX gear looks pretty good, performs well and is the best bang for your buck. Thanks for the advice!