None
    Apr 2007

XT Front Derailleur Clearance

Hi,

I'm building a commuter bike around the XT groupset. I am considering FD-M772 or FD-M773 front derailleurs. Which one has the MOST tire clearance? The top swing 773 or the bottom swing 772? I am certain my frame will accommodate either one but want to get the most tire clearance possible.

Thanks for your help.

John

~Disc~Golf~
    I wouldn't expect it to matter - the cage still has to take up the same 'real-estate' right?
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Trento Corsa
    Mar 2006
    I have the same problem - insufficient clearance between the rear tire and the low mount SRAM x9 front derailler. The clearance problem is because there is too much derailleur behind the seat post, and only 1-2 mm clearance between tire . Its not the cage, but the back of the derailleur against the bottom of the tirehat is the clearance problem. Some derailleurs have less behind the seatpost, I need one of those. Suggestions??

"that guy"
    Aug 2008
    I'm in the same boat. just built a custom frame and the derailleur is way too close to the tire. i have xtr which i've measured to be even more of a space hog than xt. Let me know what you find. The high clamp derailleurs fix this problem because the linkage is on the side of the bike. if you can fit one try those.

Trento Corsa
    Mar 2006
    I had chosen the low mount because I knew I would have tight clearance between the tire and the seat tube, and figured the lower mount would be below the tire.. Unfortunately, as you say, the linkage is behind the seatpost, not to the side. I would much prefer a SRAM to Shimano. Might try the X7 high mount, but think I have a shimano in the pile'o parts in the basement to get me on the trail until I find a good fit. The problem is the high mount will put the derailleur closer to where the tire - seat tube clearance is closest, but they seem to have the linkage to the side rather than behind. I will need a top pull derailleur.