Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Can anyone post a picture of XT brakes (or any model brake system) paired with an I-spec shifters? I am a bit of a noob to this but am planning to get the pair. Looking at pictures of the two products separately, I just can't picture how they go together.

In addition, can anyone help tell me what I-spec part will pair up with the XT m785 part?

Thanks forum, any help is appreciated.

mtbr member
    Its actually quite difficult to take a photo that shows how they go together, but have a look at these I just snapped...

Basically the silver metal bar sticking out of the shifters inserts into a slot in the brake lever clamp, and a nut behind secures it. There is side to side adjustment of the shifters in relation to the brake lever only, achieved by losening the dome shaped nut dead centre of the second picture above. I find Ispec works very well, and reduces clutter (and weight) in the cockpit.

To mate with the M785 levers you'll need to either buy the M780 I-Spec shifters, or the standard M780 shifters plus a set of SM-SL78 I-Spec Adapters to replace the standard indicator covers (although obviously thats a more expensive way to do it, but it gives you both mounting options).

Edit: Here you go, this should make it much clearer, straight from the big 'S' themselves http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830747524.pdf
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 02-08-2013 at 03:51 AM.

mtbr member

XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Here are a few more. I love this setup. XT brakes with i-spec shifters-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360334772.665861.jpgXT brakes with i-spec shifters-imageuploadedbytapatalk1360334784.847330.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    thanks much guys! im hoping to get a set of xt brakes and shifters but was not too sure what part numbers match up. I guess I didn't look hard enough, but no where on jenson did it say what would pair up with what.

thanks again!

mtbr member
    Any of Shimano's new generation of I-Spec shifters will mate with any of their new generation I-Spec compatible brake levers - so you can mix 'n match SLX, XT, and XTR to your heart's content. But if you want the pure XT combo, then the model numbers you want are brakes - BR/BL-M785, and shifters - SL-M780-I or SL-M780 + SM-SL78.

Edit: I'm updating this because as of May 2013 the above is no longer true. Shimano have changed the I-spec interface on their "2014" model brakes and shifters so they aren't compatible with the 2012/13 I-spec levers and shifters. Confusingly, the new brakes and shifters still have the same model numbers ie. M785, M675, but have a 'B' after the model number to designate they are the new I-spec standard. So, for example the old XT lever was BL-M785, and the new one is BL-M785-B, and you'll need the SL-M780-B-I shifters to fit it. So, in future be careful you are fitting like with like.
    Last edited by PerthMTB; 05-28-2013 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I appreciate it guys! hoping to order some soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Does anyone know if the M660 can be paired with an I-Spec integration unit?

mtbr member
    Nope. SL-M660 can't be converted to I-Spec. You'll need the SL-M670-I

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Nope. SL-M660 can't be converted to I-Spec. You'll need the SL-M670-I
    thanks! appreciate the info guys.

mtbr member
    FYI, Blue Sky Cycles has I-Spec adapters on sale for $59.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just purchased the I-Spec adapters for my xt set up. My question is - can I remove the gear indicators and install the adapters while the cables are in place?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    I just purchased the I-Spec adapters for my xt set up. My question is - can I remove the gear indicators and install the adapters while the cables are in place?
    Haven't done it myself, but as the Shimano instructions say you need to remove the cable and cable adjusting bolt to fit the adapters, I'd guess that's a no....

XT brakes with i-spec shifters-i-spec.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I called SHimano this morning. They said it can be swapped with the cables still in. All I have to do is remove the screws and take the indicator off and swap it with the ispec cover. I'll let you know how it goes.

ragley blue pig x

Re: XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Has anyone seen a matchmaker like the one you can buy for hope minis so that i can fit my old xt m770 shifters to xt m-785 brakes.

Ive been waiting forever on crc putting last seasons i-spec xt shifters on offer

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I called SHimano this morning. They said it can be swapped with the cables still in. All I have to do is remove the screws and take the indicator off and swap it with the ispec cover. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Cool! Maybe they should update their instructions to reflect that fact then...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    i swear it wont be long before i'll ban myself () from MTBR. i just took a hard look at my cockpit and looks like getting the i-spec adapters is very enticing.. would just need to convince myself to get a pair.. grrrrr.....
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    looking forward for you reporting back how your install went.. am thinking of getting the i-spec adapters as well but the part about taking out the cables have me worried.

thanks in advance.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    unexpectedly got my I-SPECS last saturday and installed it sunday. install was ok. i did not have to take out the cables. only challenging thing i encountered was having to keep one of the left (FD) shifters out of the way for me to put in one of the screws.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sweet. It can be installed without removing the cables. I'm on it. I got sidetrack with putting another bike together. Thanks for the update bapski...

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    It's hard to adjust the side to side placement of the shifter on the i-spec once it's installed. If you can get a wrench in there maybe you're fine, but the 4mm or 5mm, can't remember the size, it blocked by the brake lever body. Maybe I did something wrong but it's certainly a small annoyance. Yes it's something you don't change more than once or twice, but it sucked having to take it all apart to slide the shifter over.

Don't get me wrong though, love love love the brakes and shifters.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by notenoughtime View Post
    It's hard to adjust the side to side placement of the shifter on the i-spec once it's installed. If you can get a wrench in there maybe you're fine, but the 4mm or 5mm, can't remember the size, it blocked by the brake lever body. Maybe I did something wrong but it's certainly a small annoyance. Yes it's something you don't change more than once or twice, but it sucked having to take it all apart to slide the shifter over.

Don't get me wrong though, love love love the brakes and shifters.
    i think you'd need a 7mm spanner...but yeah its a pain having to re-adjust it after knowing i had it too loose and had to take everything out again.
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    i think you'd need a 7mm spanner...but yeah its a pain having to re-adjust it after knowing i had it too loose and had to take everything out again.
    Oh, I should try that. My shop is in shambles so I didn't even think about it. It had an allen head on it so that's usually my preferred tool.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey guys. I finally got around to setting my ispec set up but failed horribly. I was able to swith out the cover but when I tried to hook that piece into the brake lever clamp it would not fit right. I looked and looked but I just don't see how they piece together. Did I get the wrong ispec (SL 780)? I've got 10 speed xt shifters and 785 brakes. Please help a brotha out?

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Hey guys. I finally got around to setting my ispec set up but failed horribly. I was able to swith out the cover but when I tried to hook that piece into the brake lever clamp it would not fit right. I looked and looked but I just don't see how they piece together. Did I get the wrong ispec (SL 780)? I've got 10 speed xt shifters and 785 brakes. Please help a brotha out?
    it will not really hook securely until you tighten the M5 bolt... see step 3 on assembly: http://bike.shimano.com/media/techdo...9830747524.pdf
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the reply bapski but the little hook won't even fit all the way through the hole. That's where I'm confused.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast