Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    looking forward for you reporting back how your install went.. am thinking of getting the i-spec adapters as well but the part about taking out the cables have me worried.

thanks in advance.
    I have the A type for both brakes and shifters (2012 models) and bought the I-Spec A kit and wondering how it is possible to install without removing the cables? It is not as simple as just removing the indicators, removing the screws and swapping the cover. The instructions say the pin plate needs to be removed and without removing the pin plate the cover won't fit as its too shallow. I just opened up the gear shifter today for the first time trying to do this and ended up putting the old cover back on as I didn't want to remove any cables. Any answers on this would be much appreciated. Thx.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Upgrade from Deore M591 to XT M780 i-spec B

hi all, I have just upgraded my shifters to XTs I-spec B and I captured it in a video. Let me know if you have any questions. BTW, love the XTs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7eM8Upd4kI

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Same situation- a spec lever leaked, b spec lever arrived in the mail. So, I ordered the b spec cover, this is what is required to run a spec shifters on b spec levers, correct?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Does anyone want to sell me their bar clamp mount for the XT left shifter?

There's no forward/backwards adjustment with the ispecs unless I move my brake levers.

Go Speed Racer
    Does anybody know if it is possible to direct mount (i-spec-b) a new 11 speed shifter pod to an XT I-Spec-B brake? Currently I have an XT i-spec-b shifter mounted to an i-spec-b brake lever, and just want to upgrade the shifter/der/cassette/chain to 11speed without getting new brakes or adding a separate bar mount for the shifter. I really wish shimano would not have introduced the "B" stuff, just makes it really confusing.
    -- Bikes are effin cool --

mtbr member
    I understand Shimano has introduced a third I-Spec standard with the new 11 speed XTR M9000 series, called I-Spec II and it isn't compatible with the previous I-Spec standards. So the answer would be no, but I'm only going by what I've read in the announcement material for M9000 and haven't actually had my hands on any of the kit, so someone who has may be able to confirm or suggest a workaround.

Go Speed Racer
    Well f#$&! So basically I got royally screwed with the "b" standard crap. Only 1 model year for it. So if I need replacements they will be hard to find and probably more bank too.

mtbr member
    Update - Here's someone from another thread who has tried what you want to do, and confirms it won't work out of the box, but seems to have found a workaround by machining the aluminium...

New 2015 Shimano XTR 1x11

The shifting of the new XTR M9000 is fantastic - typically smooth Shimano shifting.
    The new XTR SL-M9000 I-Spec II shifter is not compatible with any of the other Shimano XT M785 and below I-Spec brake levers. It appears to be only compatible with the XTR BL-M9000 brake lever at this stage.
    But were there is a will there is a way - machining aluminium.
    XT brakes with i-spec shifters-923050d1410593879-new-2015-shimano-xtr-1x11-xtr-shift2.jpg

Go Speed Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Update - Here's someone from another thread who has tried what you want to do, and confirms it won't work out of the box, but seems to have found a workaround by machining the aluminium...

Thanks! Hopefully by the time I get around to doing this someone like problem solvers has a product I can purchase to solve this problem! Thanks for the info, seems all hope may not be lost! For such a simple interface I have no idea why they need to keep changing the "standard".

mtbr member
    I too have no idea why Shimano went from I-Spec A to B, except the B attachment method is more substantial so maybe they had issues with A not being strong enough?

I-Spec II on the new XTR 9000 stuff allows rotational as well as lateral adjustment, which has been a big criticism of I-Spec A & B (although it never bothered me), so that must be at least part of the justification for introducing yet another standard.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	923050d1410593879-new-2015-shimano-xtr-1x11-xtr-shift2.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	119.5 KB 
ID:	934975
    That means the m9000 shifter with I spec II is not compatible with my m820 brake lever?? I remember reading somewhere that said it could be converted ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Yup, The M9000 Shifter with the I-Spec II is not compatible with any of the old I-Spec designs. I just got my I-Spec II shifter today and it is mounted on to the shifter by sitting in the handlebar clamp well of the M9000 brakeset. I tried mounting it to a M987 brake lever and it wont fit as the new brakes have a different clamp design.
    So I've got to go get the bar clamp shifter now. I've tried every iteration and workaround, but there is no secure way to fit the shifter to the I-Spec B fitting.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6