Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RaikkuFIN View Post
    I guess I'm stupid but I really can't figure out how to attach i-spec XT gear lever to XT brake lever?

Both, XT brake levers and gear levers(BRM785 and SLM780) say in their boxes that they are b-spec but they doesn't seem to be compatible. Or at least I don't understand how. And it doesn't help that there no instructions included.
    Shimano has instructions for all their products on their website.....
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    May 2010
    It doesn't help when installing hardware seem to be wrong kind. My(B-spec) XT brake levers doesn't have recessing inside them, what would be needed to put my, also B-spec, gear levers to them.

It seems that idiotic Shimano has went and changed that system and doesn't even inform about it. These kind of things make ppl mad and make them run amok on the streets.

Now I have to buy new covers with proper install-hardware just because allmighty Shimamo thinks that they can do anything and screw ppl.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RaikkuFIN View Post
    It doesn't help when installing hardware seem to be wrong kind. My(B-spec) XT brake levers doesn't have recessing inside them, what would be needed to put my, also B-spec, gear levers to them.

It seems that idiotic Shimano has went and changed that system and doesn't even inform about it. These kind of things make ppl mad and make them run amok on the streets.

Now I have to buy new covers with proper install-hardware just because allmighty Shimamo thinks that they can do anything and screw ppl.
    If theyre both B-spec, I believe they should work.. as isnt it the original i-spec with the new B spec which arent compatible?

There should be a part number printed on your brake lever housing ending in a B "M785-B", you have that?

That issue was brought up in this thread around May 2013... Luckily, I researched before I bought. And while I dislike Shimano changing the spec, Shimano doesnt sell directly to the public. The Bike Shops/Distributors are the ones that are responsible for informing customers on compatibility.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I-spec shifters

I just received the new XT I-spec rear shifter and it came with two sets of mounting nuts & bolts. One connected it to perfectly to the M785 and the other the M785-B XT lever.

No problem at all and the shifter looks and feels great. This seems like a great deal and shipping was free at $100.00. They also have XT-B brake levers for $32.00 each, which is another bargain.

I-Spec rear shifter

Evans Part # EV194486 NA-NA SL

SHIMANO XT M870 I-SPEC-B 10S RH 1

Price $44.59

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am looking to swap my SLX shifters to XT. Looking at my SLX brakes I do not have the "B" spec listed in the model....SLX BL-M675. After reading this thread and if I understand it correctly I can buy A spec or B spec. B spec is backwards compatible but A spec will not fit 2014 / "B" designated levers. At CRC the A spec is actually cheaper. Funny my 2014 Fuel EX8 29 does not have 2014 SLX brakes. I guess since it was an early release (bought June 2013) the 2014 components were not out.

Shimano XT M780 10 Speed Trigger Shifter | Chain Reaction Cycles
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

I-spec

Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    I am looking to swap my SLX shifters to XT. Looking at my SLX brakes I do not have the "B" spec listed in the model....SLX BL-M675. After reading this thread and if I understand it correctly I can buy A spec or B spec. B spec is backwards compatible but A spec will not fit 2014 / "B" designated levers. At CRC the A spec is actually cheaper. Funny my 2014 Fuel EX8 29 does not have 2014 SLX brakes. I guess since it was an early release (bought June 2013) the 2014 components were not out.

I believe the XT I-spec rear shifter that I just got from Evans should work on any of the shimano brake levers that have the hinged clamp.
    Non-B type levers will use the cylinder with internal threads. Similar to my M875-(A) type mated up. The B type have a different cylinder with a through pin. Both worked without issue!

Good luck,
    JP

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i have the new non ispec lever but im trying to mate a problem solver mismatch adapter to it. anyone have the threaded pin that will allow this to work?

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Digging up this useful thread....
    Putting some new XT stuff on my bike...Turns out I have the newer b-spec brake levers and original i-spec shifters, which don't seem to be compatible.

I see Artscyclery and others sell adapters (replacement top covers) to update older XT shifters to i-spec B... but they cost more than I paid for the shifters.

The standards are so close I'm wondering if a dremel and some quality stainless metric nuts & bolts of the right size might be enough to make it work.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013

XT Shifter spare

Quote Originally Posted by mmartinez View Post
    You have to be sure to remove the piece of plastic between the covers of the shifter . If you don't do that the adapters are not going to going to fit .
    I killed the plastic plate... anybody know where I can get a replacment?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

We the people ...

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Digging up this useful thread....
    Putting some new XT stuff on my bike...Turns out I have the newer b-spec brake levers and original i-spec shifters, which don't seem to be compatible.

I see Artscyclery and others sell adapters (replacement top covers) to update older XT shifters to i-spec B... but they cost more than I paid for the shifters.

The standards are so close I'm wondering if a dremel and some quality stainless metric nuts & bolts of the right size might be enough to make it work.

Any thoughts?
    That's what I did. I ended up with ipec A on the left shifter with ispec B levers and no hardware. Though even if I had hardware it wouldn't have fit anyways. I called around to more than a few shops with no luck. Most mechanics didn't know what I was talking about till I explained in detail too. Shakes head.

Plan B. I bought a m5 screw and nut. You have to cut the tab off the ipec A shifter. Once that was done and cleaned up, I used a drum sander (dremel) and ground down on the lever till it was recessed enough to fit the nut. I also ground the nut down some so that I wouldn't have to take too much material out. I loctited the screw and then dosed it in some crazy glue for good measure. Oh, I also had to drill the hole in the shifter a lil bit, angling the hole to match the lever. It worked out, shifter is mounted securely. Now to finish the rest of this bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    So I spoke with Shimano and they said the new "i-spec mounts/adapters", when released will be backwards compatible with models from 2011+ to current. Had to make sure since now I have a new i-spec lever on the left and the old i-spec lever on the right, .
    Alright, just to make sure I've got this right... If I have (SLX) M675 brake levers, I can fit (XT) M780-I-B to them? I ordered them then canceled them but have been going back and forth about this and just want to be sure about my decision.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post

Well this is my exact problem and I cannot find a for sure answer anywhere. I don't exactly understand what jwpeltier is saying. I don't think if you have an OG ispec shifter, that it will work with an ispec B lever though. I'm fairly confident that what we are trying to do will work.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

XT brakes with i-spec shifters

had the same setup and worked for me
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bapski View Post
    had the same setup and worked for me
    Ok thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    In short ispec B shifters will work with ispec A levers, but not the other way around. However you can mod the ispec A shifters (to fit ispec B levers) by cutting off the tab on the ispec A shifter mount and using the ispec B shifter mounting hardware, ie. barrel nut and bolt. Worst case scenario you can mod an A shifter to fit B levers as I did in my above post.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cripes this is a huge Shimano FU, what on earth are you thinking?? I love new bike tech and all, but getting stuff to fit these days is a bloody nightmare.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    O dear, I have A spec shifters and Levers. My A spec leaver is leaking so had to purchase a replacement lever.. only ones available are the B spec leavers so I am going to have to get the dremel out.

Why did Shimano feel the need to change the design!!

Update; issue sorted.

Got the dremel out and ground some metal away so that the nut from the A spec leaver fitted the B spec leaver, cut the tab off of the A spec shifter, replaced the bolt with a longer bolt and connected it all together.

Job done.
    Last edited by Livewire88; 05-08-2014 at 02:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Hey guys. I've been a part of this thread since Page 2. I've recently run into a rear brake issue and Shimano is sending a new rear brake. The problem as stated by Livewire is that shimano is only sending the I spec B model. I have the I spec A cover. So I might have to cut that tab out to make this pair up. I'm hoping they will send me a Ispec B cover (I asked). Anyways, Can I just use the ispec A hardware to mount it in place after I cut the tab off?

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    Hey guys. I've been a part of this thread since Page 2. I've recently run into a rear brake issue and Shimano is sending a new rear brake. The problem as stated by Livewire is that shimano is only sending the I spec B model. I have the I spec A cover. So I might have to cut that tab out to make this pair up. I'm hoping they will send me a Ispec B cover (I asked). Anyways, Can I just use the ispec A hardware to mount it in place after I cut the tab off?
    I am afraid it is not just a case of cutting the tab off, you will also have to use a dremel or other tool to create a recess on the inside of the clamp that holds the leaver to the handlebars, you will also need to source a slightly longer M5 bolt to use with the special nut that comes with the A type brake leaver to join the A spec shifter to the B spec leaver.

A royal pain the the arse if you are not confident modifying things. I managed to get it all sorted and you wouldn't be able to tell the difference, (apart from the slightly different wording printed on the side of the fluid reservoir)

If you need a more detailed description of what I had to do let me know and I will type something up and try and add some pics.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Damn Livewire... That does sound way too much for me to handle. Now I really hope that they send the ispec B cover or it looks like I'll have to go back to the conventional shifter clamp or spend $45 on a new ispec cover.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's not hard to do. Just get some stainless hardware and it really is straightforward. I used a new m5 nut and screw.

XT brakes with i-spec shifters-20140514_153700%5B1%5D.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I can look for the M5 Nut and Screw at the local hardware store. How hard is it to dremel out the notch part in the lever? Can you post some pics?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It's not hard. I used a stone barrel sander like this one which was about the size of the nut. I ground it down till the nut was flush inside the clamp. Btw, a few posts above I wrote in some detail what I did.

932 Aluminum Oxide Grinding Stone / Model: 932

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I guess the nut washer that comes with the A spec (Which has more of a flat end to it wouldn't fit the B. Damn.. Why did they do this..... I think I can do this....

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Co cut the tab off. Find the M5 Bolt and nut. Dremmel out the whole to sit the nut flush in the brake clamp. HMmmmmm.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast