Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    TR
    Angry bunny
    Stupid Shimano.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Ummm, yes I have read that too, but I am trying to understand whether there is an ability to just buy the new clamp assembly and then make my old shifter work with the new brake.
    You can buy an adapter for shifter and it will work with NEW brake lever. That's what I did.

Amazon.com: Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B: Sports & Outdoors

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by The RideR View Post
    You can buy an adapter for shifter and it will work with NEW brake lever. That's what I did.

Amazon.com: Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B: Sports & Outdoors
    Excellent, will look at that or else just by the bar mount bracket.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Love this setup!

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedStarr View Post
    Here are a few more. I love this setup. Attachment 769704Attachment 769705
    This is exactly what I have in mind for my bike, love the XT shifters-XTR brakes setup! How could you match these? I haven't seen any other around...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Ok. I have a 2013 Giant Anthem X1 29'er with SLX shifters and I bought 2013 XT brakes to replace the Avid brakes. I am going to try to combine the shifters with the brake levers, hopefully de-cluttering my bars, but before I try it, has anybody here already done this or does anybody know for sure that it will work with these specific models?

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Hi Guys.

Has anyone modified the original I spec shifters to work with the B type brakes. Both my bikes have B type but a mate has just bought a new Cannondale with B type XT brakes and wants to use his existing Ispec (early type) XTR shifters. Comparing his to my B type, the only difference seems to be the extra hook which I think we could just cut off. The only issue I can see after that is sourcing the nut and pin used for the B type which he obviously does not have.

Has anyone done this or looked into it? Does anyone know if the nut/pin are available seperately?

Thanks.
    Steve.

mtbr member
    I ordered XT M785 brakes, XT M780 shifters, and XT M780 iSpec shifter covers. Unfortunately, I was sent XT M785-B brakes. Can anyone tell me besides returning the brakes for the conventional M785 versions, would changing the iSpec covers to the B versions solve my issue? In other words, would the XT M780-B iSpec shifter covers mate with the conventional XT M780 shifters?

mtbr member
    I called Shimano and spoke to tech support asking if the iSpec B covers would fit the conventional shifters. His response was to send all my componets back and have the dealer send back all conventional versions or all B versions. I said that was not my question and asked him again if the iSpec B covers would fit the conventional shifters, his response was "I don't know"...

As TR posted "Stupid Shimano"!

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Re: XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    I ordered XT M785 brakes, XT M780 shifters, and XT M780 iSpec shifter covers. Unfortunately, I was sent XT M785-B brakes. Can anyone tell me besides returning the brakes for the conventional M785 versions, would changing the iSpec covers to the B versions solve my issue? In other words, would the XT M780-B iSpec shifter covers mate with the conventional XT M780 shifters?
    Yes, they will. That's what I had to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The RideR View Post
    Yes, they will. That's what I had to do.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanks The RideR, at least it's the cheapest of the 3 components. I'll have to wait and see what CRC will do.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by sand wedge View Post
    Thanks The RideR, at least it's the cheapest of the 3 components. I'll have to wait and see what CRC will do.
    Part of this issue is directly attributable to the fact that CRC has incorrectly listed the brake levers and not nominated them as "B".
    Exactly the same reason I got the wrong ones.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Wondering if anyone has had luck finding just the bolts to go from B type shifter to the older style brake levers.

Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Part of this issue is directly attributable to the fact that CRC has incorrectly listed the brake levers and not nominated them as "B".
    Exactly the same reason I got the wrong ones.
    Update, CRC sent me a new iSpec B adapters under warranty. Very impressed with their customer service and i see now they updated the listing for the brakes to include A or B.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Hi guys,
    i just mounted my new XT brake levers and ispecs shifters. It's all 2014 so it fits theoretically. However, although assembled as said in the manual (DM-SL0001), the shifter is a little bit loose. It is tilting around the bigger black bolt which connects shifter and brake lever. I think the fitting between the little horizontal screen and the black bolt is not tight enough. Anyone else having this issue?

Thanks!

rubber side down
    Looks like I have the same situation; I purchased the XT BL-M785-B brakes and a XTR SL-M980-A shifter....

So from the research I've done, is it true that these won't pair properly using the i-spec?

That would be completely f'd

EDIT....yes, completely f'd...great job SHIMANO! Should have went with SRAM....Good info in this thread...thanks!
    From Amazon for the adapter
    Item Description

• To convert standard XTR-980 and XT-780 shifter units to i-spec integration with corresponding brake levers
    • SH-53624 and SH-53625: are compatible with 2011-13 Shimano brake levers (M988/985/820/785/675/666/640/596) and are not compatible with 2014+ B-type brake levers
    • B-type i-spec model is compatible with 2014+ B-type Shimano brakes and can be used with 2011+ i-spec compatible Shimano brake levers with the special nut (included)
    • Sold as a set for left and right shift levers
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    My XT shifters mate with my XTR brakes, but the manuals must be for the previous iteration of i-spec, as the hardware and the way the two parts fit together looks nothing like what I have!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I-Spec I means integrated right? So it is basically single piece shifter/brake lever together.

rubber side down
    I am frustrated with this issue. I ended up sending back the XTR shifter. Now I'm on the fence to either stick with Shimano or go with SRAM.

If I do go with Shimano and have the XT BL-M785-B brakes what 10sp right shifter would I need....

Is the SLX as smooth and crisp as the XT?
    TAOS on pinkbike

mtbr member
    I've got all SLX on one bike and all XT on the other. Most things I can't notice any difference, but the XT shifters are noticeable better - they just seem more positive, smoother, and require less effort. I remember reading that the XT uses more ball bearings versus nylon bushings in the SLX, so that could be the reason.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The slx brakes are EXACTLY the same as the xt brakes minus the free stroke knob or whatever its called. Largely considered a useless adjustment. As mentioned the xt shifters are better than slx . you need the xt b spec shifter

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TAOS1 View Post
    I am frustrated with this issue. I ended up sending back the XTR shifter. Now I'm on the fence to either stick with Shimano or go with SRAM.

If I do go with Shimano and have the XT BL-M785-B brakes what 10sp right shifter would I need....

I have all 3 shifters, each level feels considerably better. The SLX are a good basic shifter but have a long throw and as mentioned earlier, are not as precise as each level up. My original plan was to upgrade to the XT but found they come only with the shifter displays and to remove them, you would need to purchase the covers. Another dumb ass move from Shimano. I found an amazing deal on XTRs and have no regrets. One last stupid move from Shimano is that they removed the side to side adjustment in the current regular (non iSpec) XTR shifters.

I still question what Shimano is thinking when features are removed or changed from the previous models...

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    anyone get the older problem solver mismatch adaptors (mounts sram shifter on shimano brakes) to work with the newer -b style brake lever? I'm guessing all I need is the bolt and hardware to mount the old adaptor to the newer brake lever?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Hi, I have the BR/BL-M785 XT brake set (no - B that I am aware of) and want to install an i-spec Saint shifter. I pulled the right lever off and it does not appear to have the cut out for the hook that is shown on the shifters in the Shimano tech docs. Has anyone else run into this? Brakes were purchased about a year ago. I could grind the hook off I would think as the nut would still hold it tightly together.

Thanks,
    John

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I guess I'm stupid but I really can't figure out how to attach i-spec XT gear lever to XT brake lever?

Both, XT brake levers and gear levers(BRM785 and SLM780) say in their boxes that they are b-spec but they doesn't seem to be compatible. Or at least I don't understand how. And it doesn't help that there no instructions included.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RaikkuFIN View Post
    I guess I'm stupid but I really can't figure out how to attach i-spec XT gear lever to XT brake lever?

Both, XT brake levers and gear levers(BRM785 and SLM780) say in their boxes that they are b-spec but they doesn't seem to be compatible. Or at least I don't understand how. And it doesn't help that there no instructions included.
    When I get serious about putting my bike together, I'll look for the proper instructions, but I think I've figured out how to mate the XT and XTR parts, but both came with instructions for what I believe to be the previous version with the "hook" on them. The new ones are quite different in appearance an hardware (at least compared to the instructions!).

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast