Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    unpossibles
    Do you know if anyone has the b-spec adapters in stock? I can't find them anywhere. Unfortunately I just got the wrong kit in the mail and went through the whole failed install like some of you, because I have b-spec levers. I already have ispec levers on my hardtail and I love how clean and uncluttered the bar is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    Do you know if anyone has the b-spec adapters in stock? I can't find them anywhere.
    I'm also looking for the b-type i-spec adapters, part number SM-SL78-B according to Shimano's website. Searching for that part # turns up only a few websites, all out of stock. May swing by my LBS this afternoon and see if they can order it for me.

MTB doc
    Jul 2013
    You have to be sure to remove the piece of plastic between the covers of the shifter . If you don't do that the adapters are not going to going to fit .

MTB doc
    Jul 2013
    Remove the pin plate . That way everything is going to fit the way suppose to .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I just installed type-B shifters (SL-M780B-I) onto type-B M785 brakes (BR-M785-B), and the shifters are loose when the mounting screw is tightened down. It is barely loose, but it is loose. Has anyone noticed this too, I have disassembled it several times, and I think it must have been by design.

Can anyone confirm that this is ok?

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I know they have a revised model out, but I don't know much about it. My version of i-specs are snug, no wiggle at all. I believe they are the older ones. Sorry can't help more.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This image helps illustrate the differences between the "conventional" and the "NEW" type-b style

I found that I can put a washer between the Shifter and the Brake lever and it tightens up. However, it's not a clean fit and will probably damage the mount after many miles of use.

I wish I had a way to ask Shimano about the loose fit and get an official answer if that is what is intended.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronrryan View Post
    I wish I had a way to ask Shimano about the loose fit and get an official answer if that is what is intended.
    Contact them, I'm sure someone will get back to you.

MTB doc
    Jul 2013
    You need to call shimano because that's the 2014 lever and shifter . I have the 2013 models and the configuration is perfect . I don't know for what reason they changed for 2014 models .

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I called in and I was very impressed that the first guy I talked to, knew exactly what I was talking about. I haven't had a support call like that in quite a while. Kudos to Shimano.

Now for the content of the call. The guy told me that it is NOT supposed to be loose. Since I didnt buy the parts from a bike shop, I couldn't just get it replaced in the shop which is what they would normally recommend. But instead I would need to send it in to him if i wanted it fixed.

I told him that I could put a stainless steel washer between the shifter and brake and it tighten's it up, and he said if it wasn't an issue for me, it would be fine and would NOT void my warranty.

Here is an image of where I put the washer:

Maybe one day I'll send it in, but for now, I'm just gunna put a washer in there.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mayonays View Post
    I'm also looking for the b-type i-spec adapters, part number SM-SL78-B according to Shimano's website. Searching for that part # turns up only a few websites, all out of stock. May swing by my LBS this afternoon and see if they can order it for me.

Were you guys able to find a place to purchase from? I just got a new bl-m785 lever and need to mount my old shifters on it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    After using my bike for a while, the i-spec type b mount seems to have changed a little, to the point that I'm able to remove the washer, and it will tighten down properlynow. I'm guessing I just need to work the shifter back and forth a little to get it fully seated properly.

unpossibles
    I found them on amazon this week but I haven't ordered yet. Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B
    Amazon.com: Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B: Sports & Outdoors

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh_SL2 View Post
    I found them on amazon this week but I haven't ordered yet. Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B
    Amazon.com: Shimano Xt I-Spec Brackets Sm-Sl78-B: Sports & Outdoors
    Perfect! Just placed an order. Thank you!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    oh, that is really annoying, thanks guys I will now order the correct adapter and send back the wrong one. thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    That's good info, and together with the diagram from the Shimano manual you posted above, it looks like the new 'B' type shifters are backwards compatible to the old levers (with a special nut), but old non-B shifters won't fit the new 'B' type levers ? Confused yet !?!
    Yep, im confused. I had to read this thread 3 times. I think its mostly because there is so much talk of two ispec generations of levers, 2 generations of shifters, and now 2 generations of shifter adapters.

Just wanted to highlight the above since thats the exact info I was looking for and didnt find it so obvious during my first read of the thread.
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

TR
    Angry bunny
    Reviving this thread.
    Ordered M785 brakes and an M780 shifter to mate up using i-Spec.
    Sadly when they have arrived the brakes are M785B which means they are not compatible.
    What do I need to make them work?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TR View Post
    Reviving this thread.
    Sadly when they have arrived the brakes are M785B which means they are not compatible.
    You need to either return the shifters for B spec units or return the brakes for a A spec units. Personally, I would go the A spec brake route as these will work with both A and B spec shifters. This might help down the line.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Reviving this thread.
    or buy a handlebar clamp style for the shifter, forgoing the ispec
    Put a mountain biker in a room with 2 bowling balls and we'll break one and lose the other - GelatiCruiser

TR
    Angry bunny
    Returniong them is not an option as they were purchased online.
    There is no adapter available?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Returniong them is not an option as they were purchased online.
    There is no adapter available?
    I thought this whole thread was about the adapters..

TR
    Angry bunny
    YEs, but I mean an adapter to make the old style shifter work with the new style brake lever assembly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    YEs, but I mean an adapter to make the old style shifter work with the new style brake lever assembly.
    Posts on the 2nd page indicated (at least the way I read it) that if you have new B levers and A shifters youd need the B adapters for the shifters to make them fit....

TR
    Angry bunny
    Ummm, yes I have read that too, but I am trying to understand whether there is an ability to just buy the new clamp assembly and then make my old shifter work with the new brake.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Ummm, yes I have read that too, but I am trying to understand whether there is an ability to just buy the new clamp assembly and then make my old shifter work with the new brake.
    the only options right now are to purchase the entire shimano adapter or purchase an aftermarket clamp to mount it back onto the handlebar KCNC I-Spec Shifter Clamps : Fairwheel Bikes, Cycling Boutique

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast