Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I just got off the phone with shimano. I guess I have a different type of 785 brake lever (I think he said newer version but I'm not sure). This brake clamp needs the newer hardware and newer shifter to work with Ispec. So I'm hosed. Check out the website:

SHIMANO Dealer's Manual / User's Manual

SL-M780-B-I
    Click on DM-SL0001-02
    scroll to page 9.

Does anyone want to buy a pair of Ispec mounts. Feel free to PM me. My loss is your gain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post
    I just got off the phone with shimano. I guess I have a different type of 785 brake lever (I think he said newer version but I'm not sure). This brake clamp needs the newer hardware and newer shifter to work with Ispec. So I'm hosed. Check out the website:

SL-M780-B-I
    Click on DM-SL0001-02
    scroll to page 9.

Does anyone want to buy a pair of Ispec mounts. Feel free to PM me. My loss is your gain.
    Didn't know there are different M785 brake levers? I thought they are the same. I just looked at mine that I bought back in 2011 and it appears to have the hole at the bottom where you would mount the i-spec. I wonder what yours looks like? Can you take a picture? I'm thinking of doing this i-spec conversion in the future with my M780 XT shifters coupled with M785 XT brakeset, don't want to run into a problem like you did.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Yeah I didn't know that either. The new 785 has a different clamp. With the new version that I have, only the new shifters will clamp on. They don't have the adapter available yet. In the link I have shows the diagram on page 7. I'll try and take a photo as soon as I can.

mtbr member
    I see what your referring to now. Damn I hope the front brake I get back from Shimano warranty comes with the same old type not the new type, or else I'm going to have 2 different types of i-spec mounts. I will find out tomm

mtbr member
    Yeah, I just received a set of the 'new' 2014 M785 brakes I ordered for a mate, and they don't fit the 'old' 2013 I-spec shifters. What was wrong with the existing I-spec standard that Shimano had to go and change it? And couldn't they have given the new incompatible levers and shifters a new model number - like M786, so at least it is clear what fits with what. I can see a whole lot of confusion setting in over the coming months as these hit the shops...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mmanuel09 View Post

SL-M780-B-I
    Click on DM-SL0001-02
    scroll to page 9.

are these the I-spec shifters that you got?

Amazon.com: Shimano XT SL78 I-Spec Bracket Set: Sports & Outdoors
    2014 TREK FARLEY
    2013 TREK RUMBLEFISH PRO
    2012 TREK SUPERFLY AL ELITE

@trailgrinder
    Now I am wondering what I spec I need to get for the xt's on my 2012 superfly. Can someone take a pic of the hole that I need to have in order for the above linked covers to work with my set or direct me in the right direction to what the hell I'm looking for. Thanks

mtbr member
    This should help clarify some confusion. Here is a picture from the manual of the new vs previous.

XT brakes with i-spec shifters-72195816.jpg

@trailgrinder
    Alright I'm going into the garage to check it out. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Live2rideUtah View Post
    Now I am wondering what I spec I need to get for the xt's on my 2012 superfly. Can someone take a pic of the hole that I need to have in order for the above linked covers to work with my set or direct me in the right direction to what the hell I'm looking for. Thanks
    As yours is a 2012 model bike it'll be fitted with the 'original' I-spec levers. The new I-spec standard has only just been introduced and only a few shops have received new stock, and 2014 bikes will come fitted with it.

After looking at a couple of online retailers that have the new models, it seems the new I-Spec levers, shifters, and adapters are designated with a "B" after the model number. So, for example the original levers were BL-M785, but the ones with the new I-spec standard are BL-M785-B. Similarly, the original I-spec shifters were SL-M780-I whereas the new ones are SL-M780-B-I, and the new covers/adapters are SM-SL78-B.

So, as long as you avoid anything with a "B" added to the model number you should be alright. However, this may be easier said than done, as bike shops/online retailers are already confused by the sheer number of parts they have to stock with tiny differences, so what are the chances they'll know if what they're offering you is original or 'B' ?!?

@trailgrinder
    Okay sweet, went into the garage and took a look around, now I just need to make sure and stay away from the newer ones. I guess I will look around and see what I come up with. Thanks for your help.

@trailgrinder
    36.00 from a reputable retailer. I'm stoked. Guess I will wait and see if mmanuel up on top has the mounts that work for me and I will help him out and buy them from him.

mtbr member
    Came across this website doing some research.

BTI | Shifter Service Parts from Shimano (page 1)

"B-type i-spec model is compatible with 2014+ B-type Shimano brakes and can be used with 2011+ i-spec compatible Shimano brake levers with the special nut (included)"

I guess this will save the confusion when they do release the new adapters, so it will work with 2011-current.

mtbr member
    That's good info, and together with the diagram from the Shimano manual you posted above, it looks like the new 'B' type shifters are backwards compatible to the old levers (with a special nut), but old non-B shifters won't fit the new 'B' type levers ? Confused yet !?!

mtbr member
    Seriously, this crap has got me all twisted. I think I am done, lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Sorry for the delayed reply everyone. You guys are on it. It's the B type that you have to be aware of. I took some pics from my iphone and here is is what it looks like. I asked the rep if I can just snip the hook part and he said its possible but problem is that the bolt package is totally different. Shimano has not yet released an adaptor set and the bolt package is not yet available. I have another set of xt brakes on my niner. I need to see if my ispec adapter will fit those levers. If so, I'll have another night in the garage with some tasty beverages....

XT brakes with i-spec shifters-xt-clamp-1.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]803551[/ATTACH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XT brakes with i-spec shifters-xt-clamp-2.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    OK. I just checked the xt brakes on my niner. This set is in fact the older set and not the new B set.
    XT brakes with i-spec shifters-xt-clamp-3.jpg

mtbr member
    So I spoke with Shimano and they said the new "i-spec mounts/adapters", when released will be backwards compatible with models from 2011+ to current. Had to make sure since now I have a new i-spec lever on the left and the old i-spec lever on the right, .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkp81 View Post
    So I spoke with Shimano and they said the new "i-spec mounts/adapters", when released will be backwards compatible with models from 2011+ to current. Had to make sure since now I have a new i-spec lever on the left and the old i-spec lever on the right, .
    Yeah, that's OK if you haven't already got the 'old' I-spec shifters, but for those of us that do, they aren't forward compatible to the new levers. So, if I break a lever in the future and replace it with a 'new' one, I have to buy a new set of shifters or adapters at the same time

mtbr member

Re: XT brakes with i-spec shifters

True. Didnt think of that for those that already have the current ispec mounts. I should have asked them why they changed it if it was working.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    I should have asked them why they changed it if it was working.
    Yeah, that'd be interesting to know. There must be a reason for them to create all this confusion, just hope its not something serious that's gonna come back and bite all us version 1 I-spec users in the bum!

@trailgrinder
    Ordered my adapters I am pumped to get them installed and lean up the cockpit a bit

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    for anyone looking at brand new xt shifters, I just found the ispec shifters at arts cyclery for $120 shipped. Seems to be the best price I could find on them. I had slx shifters previously which worked fine but now since I recently upgraded to a set of 785 brakes that I got for nothing I'd like to match em up and clean up the handlebar a bit. They are the older ispec and listed as closeout so presumably they are making room for the new ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Re: XT brakes with i-spec shifters

Scratch that. When I put them in my cart it specifically said they were in stock. After I placed the order I got am email saying they were back ordered and they would inform me of availability within 1 business day. If they can't source the old ones for me hopefully they will honor this price for the newer version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

@trailgrinder
    Just a follow up, I have installed my I spec adapters which took me about 20 minutes and they came with excellent instructions as well. I can't believe I didn't do this sooner!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast