MOBtown

XT 760 quesiton???

I have a 2006 model Shimano XT 761 crankset with the 36 and 44 rings. They are the 170mm length if that makes a difference. When installing the cranks, the instruction said something about a black spacer or shim that fits in between the gap, on the non-drive side crank, where the crank attaches to the bb spline via the pinch bolts. My crankset never came with this spacer. Is anyone familiar with what I'm describing??? If so, is it important that I have this spacer installed. Would they have a step in the instructions, if it was not important? Does anyone know the best way to obtain one of these spacers. (no such thing as a local bike shop) I also need some extra pinch bolts, as I managed to strip one . Thanks
    KENDA

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PALMEJ1
    I have a 2006 model Shimano XT 761 crankset with the 36 and 44 rings. They are the 170mm length if that makes a difference. When installing the cranks, the instruction said something about a black spacer or shim that fits in between the gap, on the non-drive side crank, where the crank attaches to the bb spline via the pinch bolts. My crankset never came with this spacer. Is anyone familiar with what I'm describing??? If so, is it important that I have this spacer installed. Would they have a step in the instructions, if it was not important? Does anyone know the best way to obtain one of these spacers. (no such thing as a local bike shop) I also need some extra pinch bolts, as I managed to strip one . Thanks

36-44 RINGS - you will run into FD clearance issues with this setup (12T min is required, you have 8!)

Anyhow, yes the spacer you are talking about is needed for this setup. If you don't have one, believe it or not, it will allow the LS crankarm to butt against the outboard bearing and cause some nasty drag - not to worry, you can buy the spacer from your LBS for a few bucks.

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830608893.pdf

Look at #10

Members who have read this thread: 0