Thread: xt 2x10

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

xt 2x10

Will there be an XT 2x10 setup available? So far I've only seen a 3 ring crank and I really don't want to pay for an XTR setup.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    There will be...but the official response is " not for a while" from the Shimano rep.
    But....you can make your own very easily using Shimano 26/36 rings from the 771 crank....our Blackspire makes a big variety of rings that work very well.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Currently I have the 770 crank. Are there 26/36 rings available for my crank?

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Shimano knows that a lot of people want 2X10 and it'd be dumb from a business standpoint to give some customers to SRAM just because they don't have a the 2 rings in the front. I would guess that you'll see a 2 ring crank by the end of 2011 at the latest.

Of course you could probably set up sram shifters crank, and FD and then just have you're chain, cassette, and RD dyna sys, but I'm not 100% sure of the compatibility between the two. Just guessing due to the compatibility of the previous generation.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    The new XTR 2x10 crank is the same crank as the new XTR triple with a bash ring instead of the big ring. Find a good review of the new 2X10 XTR and they will mention this. Just buy the appropriate tooth rings for the middle and inner rings and set your front derailleur limit screw so it won't try to shift to the big ring position. Lots of people already do this. Shimano has done this on the older Hone and more recent SLX 2x9 crank setups already.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bruneti
    The new XTR 2x10 crank is the same crank as the new XTR triple with a bash ring instead of the big ring. Find a good review of the new 2X10 XTR and they will mention this. Just buy the appropriate tooth rings for the middle and inner rings and set your front derailleur limit screw so it won't try to shift to the big ring position. Lots of people already do this. Shimano has done this on the older Hone and more recent SLX 2x9 crank setups already.
    I don't think so, definitely a similar crank, but it's not the same.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by COLINx86
    I don't think so, definitely a similar crank, but it's not the same.

I went back and actually re-read the review that I was thinking of when I made my post. Turns out we're both right. Sorry about that. Your pictures show the triple and the narrow Q-factor XC double. I was referring to what Shimano is calling the "trail" double crank.

Quoted from Here: http://singletrack.competitor.com/20...imano-xtr_9617

There are three crank options, each offered in 170, 172.5, 175, or 180mm lengths:

• The mainstay 42-32-24 triple

• Two narrow Q-factor XC doubles (with either 42-30 or 40-28 chainrings),

• A “trail” double crank (38-26 tooth chainrings mounted on the inner and middle positions of a normal, wider Q-factor triple crank, so it can accommodate a chainring guard or even convert back to a standard triple)

mtbr member
    May 2010
    JensonUSA is selling a Shimano XT FC-M785 (2x) Crankset, though I can find no mention of this on Shimano's site

mtbr member
    I'm running XT M775 cranks with Blackspire 24/34 chainrings and bash guard with no problems. Shifts great and the gearing works for my riding area. I use a XTR FD and a Shadow GS RD.