yorkshire mud monkey

why hasnt shimano done anything like Hammerschmidt

Hammerschmidt is sooo well known, why hasnt shimano done... or have they and i havent searched enough
    as steve said "As long as the rotor/rivets clears the fork, a miss is as good as a mile"

Old school BMXer
    So well known? But how many have you actually seen on the trail? I haven't actually seen any in southern California (I know, they're out there, but I just haven't seen any).
    May the air be filled with tires!

T.W.O.

It's a good idea but still limitation now

I think that Shimano is busy getting the 10spd and Mi2 out than a internal crankset, IMO

HS has amazing shifting action and great ground clearance, but it only work with frame that has ISCG tab. ISCG adapter would not work (well a few guys on MTBR has done the conversion on the Nomad and it's working great for them.) because the overdrive mode HS put a lot of torque on the tab I guess. It's more popular among FR/DH bike. Lyskey put it on the hardtail, I put it on my XC bike.

In additions, most current frames are design around the middle ring pedaling with compromise on the big and small ring. Some designs are not affected by the ring size like Maverick Monolink design. HS is not that heavy only add 2 lbs which is not bad for what it has to offer. My seven was 26 and change now it's 28.5lbs. If compatibility issue is not the factor, I wouldn't mind putting HS on more of my bikes.

03/16/2010