mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Why did I crash?

I crashed my hybrid last Saturday.

Pics are of: Hip, leg and elbow (left side).

As far as I know, I was going over 30mph down Santa Anita Ave from Chantry Flats (pavement climb). There was a sweeping left turn and the mountain side was on my right. I noticed a car/truck coming up towards me way down and I wanted to hug the side of the mountain to avoid them noticing me on a blind curve.

Next thing I know, I'm flying, I land (presumably on a very sharp and large rock), hitting my left leg (which also cut through my shorts), then I must have slid on that same left side. My left hip is all road rashed up. It took like an hour Sunday night for me to pick at my hip with a freshly sterilized razor blade and tweezers to pick out the gravel and cactus spines. My left elbow got banged up, but has minimum road rash.

I vaguely remember landing on my back... Hard (heard a crunch on the initial impact, which was the stuff inside the backpack). I ended up sliding on my back, and luckily my Camelback took the impact. Road rash was visible on the backpack (almost wore through an outer compartment zipper). Good thing I picked up that beach ball I found on the side of the road and stuffed it in my pack just before I went up.

After it happened, I remember laying on my back and I thought I was dreaming. It didn't seem real, and when I opened my eyes it seemed really bright (must've been looking at the sun). When I heard the car/truck I was trying to avoid in the first place coming, I hopped up immediately and got out of the way. They stopped and asked if I was ok. I figured since I was able to stand and walk out of the way (although in a lot of pain), then I most likely didn't break any bones).

This was bad. Worse than any other I can remember.

Here is the damage to me:

The bike was in good shape, but scratched up. I'm pleasantly surprised. I wasn't even going to post this up, but when I looked at the bike in the garage tonight I noticed that my front brake caliper was wet. Then I noticed that the fluid seemed low (long throw to actuate the front brake).

I just finished up a quick search and yep, Shimano BR-M485. I hardly ever ride the hybrid since I got it, and when I did, it almost killed me.

Everyone check your brakes for the M485. Apparently it's a known problem. Wished I kept up with this stuff before I almost killed myself.

tk

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you asking why you crashed? It appears you already decided the answer.

ups and downs
    You're referring to the Shimano Service notice for the brakes

http://bgindy.com/page.cfm?pageID=969
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

local trails rider
    So you lost control of the bike and your brakes got banged up in what happened next?

Żou got some scratches here and there. Looks surprisingly little for hitting anything at 30mph.

Here's the part that I dont get:
    Quote Originally Posted by tk1971
    I noticed a car/truck coming up towards me way down and I wanted to hug the side of the mountain to avoid them noticing me on a blind curve.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just a friendly notice to those who are not aware to check their brakes, like me.

And yes, I have (more or less) determined what caused my crash. Not gross incompetence on my part at all

Basically, the brakes weren't 100% when I needed them.

Too much speed = Fail

The 30 MPH was when I last checked the speedo. Hopefully, I wasn't launched at that speed, since I wasn't paying attention at that time.

And all those pics are about a week from the accident. Plenty of ice helped with the bruises.

tk