mtbr member

Where does Shimano XT fit into the hierarchy?

My 2011 Superfly 100 was stolen out of my garage this week. I'm still dealing with insurance as far as what they're going to cover. However, I wanted to start considering options for a replacement bike.

I'd like to stay within the 2011, 2012, 2013 new and used Trek Superfly 100 family. The 2013 Superfly has Shimano XT components (2011 Superfly had SRAM X9 components). I'm always been a SRAM guy, but I don't have any reason if you asked why. Can any enlighten my on the Shimano family and where the Shimano XT components stand in the hierarchy of Shimano componetns and how they would compare/contrast to SRAM?

FKA Malibu412
    XT is comparable to XO in most regards and is all the kit 99 44/100 of riders will ever need.
    Everything that kills me, makes me feel alive

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Malibu412 View Post
    XT is comparable to XO in most regards and is all the kit 99 44/100 of riders will ever need.

Thanks for your response. What do you mean by 99 44/100? Why did Trek make the switch to Shimano from Sram?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    99 and 44/100ths is an old marketing reference... (Old Dove soap commercials). Essentially what he is saying that XT is all most all of us will ever need. I would say XT slots somewhere between X9 and X0 as far as perceived hierarchy. I have both SRAM X9 and an XT build. I prefer the XT, the shifters and brakes in particular. But the X9 pieces are a little bit lighter if you're a weight weenie.

I presume Trek made the switch because they got a good wholesale price on XT.