Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Where did the low-normal/rapid-rise derailleur go?!

I just picked up a new bike with the new XTR 2x10 system. I love it EXCEPT! the only option on the rear derailleur is top-normal. Does anyone know if Shimano is going release a Shadow Rapid Rise derailleur?

I've been using rapid-rise for 10 years. It makes uphill shifting so much better. My brain is programmed for it, and now every time I come to a hill I end up gearing up instead of down! I needs my rapid-rise!

/Guad

the catalan connection
    I wonder too. I' m so used to it that I can't think of any other option. I was about to go 10 speed when I noticed there was no rr derailleur option, so I just going to stay 9 speed.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

mtbr member
    I get the idea that Shimano's given up on rapid-rise. Maybe not, but I hardly ever see or hear of it anymore. It seems to have gone the way of those brake levers that also shifted gears for you.

ups and downs
    Rapid rise and dual control took the same bus out of Shimano town.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Does Shimano read this forum? It's strange they don't have any way to provide feedback on their own website.

I'm hoping they haven't given up on rapid-rise. In my opinion, rapid rise should be the standard. I'm going to have a hell of a time switching between my older bike with rapid-rise and new bike with top-normal. Ug.

the catalan connection
    I read somewhere around here that the newer shadow derailleurs donīt play well together with RR inverted parallelograms. Something about cable routing and pull I believe.
    Dual Controls were matched with RR derailleurs, but were not exclusive of them. Actually RR derailleurs were already here long before DC. So, yes, thay took the same bus out of shimano town, but they didnīt arrive on the same one
    Not saying anyone above said so, just thought was worth making the point clear.
    BTW, anyone noticed that is the first year that shimano doesnīt show XTR V brakes on the new group? Another one that is gone, and these were really good. Iīm going to buy a set before they go. Just to keep them.They donīt deserve to be forgotten...
    Last edited by What&son; 05-11-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    "Blessed is the man who, having nothing to say, abstains from giving us wordly evidence of the fact." George Elliot

ups and downs
    My favourite combo was running 7 speed thumbies with the XTR RR derailleurs, that way you pushed both shifters forward to go faster. That was the same advantage that made them a good match with the dual controls, the lever push was the same for both left and right for upshifting.

I suspect that RR derailleurs just had too small a sales volume to keep going with them as they really seemed to rub a lot of people the wrong way, I liked the quick downshift action on them.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by Guad
    I've been using rapid-rise for 10 years. It makes uphill shifting so much better. My brain is programmed for it, and now every time I come to a hill I end up gearing up instead of down! I needs my rapid-rise!

/Guad
    OK, now including you and rockyuphill, that makes 7 people who liked retard rise.

Thank god Shimano gave up on it. Few wanted it when it came out, and few want it now. In fact, shortly after Shimano came out with it is when SRAM started having success because Shimano was pushing RR, and people didn't want it, so they bought SRAM. RR goes down in history as the shrinking of Shimano and the growth of SRAM. No, I don't like SRAM, as I've only preferred Shimano shifters for over 15 years.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Is there no help for the rapid rise rider?

Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    I love my dual control shifters, and on Monday broke my derailleur. I can't find any rapid rise derailleurs at any local bike shops, and we have many around Seattle. I'll end up buying off eBay, probably used. I may opt to by two so that I don't have to "upgrade" my shifters if I break my new (used) derailleur some day.

Shimano, if you do read the fora here, please either make a limited production run. You can charge more than normal to offset the higher costs of a small run since our only other option is to also replace our shifters, and in my case my brake levers as well.

ups and downs

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    OK, now including you and rockyuphill, that makes 7 people who liked retard rise.

Thank god Shimano gave up on it. Few wanted it when it came out, and few want it now. In fact, shortly after Shimano came out with it is when SRAM started having success because Shimano was pushing RR, and people didn't want it, so they bought SRAM. RR goes down in history as the shrinking of Shimano and the growth of SRAM. No, I don't like SRAM, as I've only preferred Shimano shifters for over 15 years.
    Actually it is eight people you narrow minded pin-head. RR feels so much more natural but of corse I use my brakes "moto" style. Guess I need to stock up on RR deraileurs.
    Too fat for XC, and not skilled enough for FR

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Make that 9.

mtbr member
    If any of you rapid-rise guys are interested, I have a like new XTR rear derail I would love to get rid of. I think I rode it twice before swapping it out.
    I turn a wrench @ Simplicity Cycles
    http://www.simplicity-cycles.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Same here, is there any reason shimano don't produce it anymore??

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster1200 View Post
    Oh man, I haven't laughed this hard in ages!

Back in my bike shop days we called it rapid demise; that's what we were hoping would happen to it so we would never have to work with it again.

mtbr member
    That makes me the number 8 RR fanboy. Bring it back, Shimano! It is so intuitive...I know it made it so much easier to teach my wife how to shift. Press the right lever down...the chain goes down to the next gear. Press it up, the chain goes up. It doesn't get any better than that.

Multiple Lines Rock
    Quote Originally Posted by bikewrench View Post
    If any of you rapid-rise guys are interested, I have a like new XTR rear derail I would love to get rid of. I think I rode it twice before swapping it out.
    please PM me cost..

MTB B'dos
    In case anyone is looking, Jenson still has them listed in XT and LX and yes I to prefer Rapid Rise, much more intuitive and sure as hell suits my not so good thumbs, paired with the new trigger shifters it's heaven.
    Shimano XT RD-M760 Rear Derailleur at JensonUSA.com
    Shimano LX RD-M580 Rear Derailleur at JensonUSA.com
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

fan of maple syrup
    Nine people!

I can't say if it's more intuitive or not, but it certainly makes more sense to me. I'm more likely to need to quickly grab an easier gear than quickly grab a harder gear. If I come round a bend and there's a steep pinch right there, it's quicker for me to move my index finger to the little trigger and pull back, or push my thumb forward (I have dual pull on both bikes) and rapidly index through the gears. Top normal I have to move my thumb around the big lever then onto it, and even though I can get a few gears per stroke, it's still slower.

Guess I should get a couple of spare RR derailleurs while they're selling cheap, to last me a few years, then see what happens after that.

I never had any great desire to go 10 speed so another few years of 9 should be fine.
    Last edited by nuclear_powered; 11-14-2011 at 03:41 AM.

mtbr member
    Good! They're probably sitting in the junk heap next to the biopace chain rings. RR and DC were probably the biggest duds in Shimano's history. If I had this stuff I'd give it to you guys just to get it out of my sight

Hmmmmm
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick View Post
    I get the idea that Shimano's given up on rapid-rise. Maybe not, but I hardly ever see or hear of it anymore. It seems to have gone the way of those brake levers that also shifted gears for you.

It's not that.
    Shadow derailleurs don't lend themselves well to rapid rise. It has to do with how the cable and housing have to connect to the derailleur.

Sram uses a similar cable and housing attachment. Do they have a Low Normal setup available?
    "I thought of that while riding my bike."
    Albert Einstein, on the theory of relativity.

Peace and Long Rides...

Team Chilidog!
    One of my buddies loooooves his RR DC drivetrain. I don't get it but it appears that he's not the only one.

I loved RR with old XT thumbies when I first started riding, but my wrist that had surgery really appreciates the newer light action Shimanos.
    MTB4Her.com: mountain bike site for women, by women

Warrior's Society
    You RR guys don't make enough noise.

Look at what the Grip Shift fans got SRAM to do when it came to 10 spd shifters.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

sheep in FOX clothing
    After 3 years on XT dual-control RR I rode exclusively XO triggers this summer.

Meh.

I guess I'll live with it, not gonna buy enough STI-RR parts to last me the rest of my life...

mtbr member
    This sucks. You can add me to the list of people who love RR. I never had any issues with setting one up. I even had one of the original ones that had rolla ma jigs built into it. Sad news indeed.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast