Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    If any of you guys need one I've got a NIB XTR RR rear derailleur that I'd unload. PM me if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

make that 11 or are we 12 now ?

I have stocked up on RR rear mechs.
    And now Im just waiting for the new Ultegralevel flatbar 10spd shifter , then Im off to 2x10spd RR land , cant wait :-)
    cheers

Old school BMXer
    I can't believe that you RR guys are coming out in the tens of thousands! Scratch that...tens.

Quote Originally Posted by caspar View Post
    I have stocked up on RR rear mechs.
    And now Im just waiting for the new Ultegralevel flatbar 10spd shifter , then Im off to 2x10spd RR land , cant wait :-)
    cheers
    You're in luck! The Ultegra level 10-speed flat bar shifters have been out for years!
    The SL-R770 "non series component" shift levers are considered as Ultegra level. Unfortunately, they're expensive! Note that they will not work on the current generation of Dyna-Sys 10-speed stuff, but they'll work with the previous 9-speed derailleurs with 10-speed cassettes as well as all of the 10-speed road stuff. The tech info specifies specific front derailleurs, but I believe you can use mtb derailleurs, but I can't confirm.

Shimano SL-R770 10 SP Flat Bar Shifter at JensonUSA.com

They're hard to find info on Shimano's site, but here's some info from Shimano Austrailia:
    Product

http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830609221.pdf
    http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/te...9830683913.pdf
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Add me to that list! Love the rapid rise.......too bad they will not be making it anymore. Its the only reason why I kept using Shimano over the years.
    When I finally upgrade to 10 speed Ill probably go SRAM. Does the same job and is lighter! Here is no reason to stick with Shimano.
    Hope Shimano is listening........There is a market for it

Little history for BLASTER1200
    Rapid Rise made its first appearance in the 8 Speed models M951 (Circa 1997 or 1998 I believe). In 2003 with the release of the 960 series they only produced the rear derailleur which was rapid rise (M960) and came out with the Dual control shifters (no triggers). That is when people started to really look at SRAM as a serious alternative. SRAM came out with trigger shifters around this time as well....etc etc.... and yes the Dual controls were not very well liked. But as we see choice is always a good thing in the bike industry

MTB B'dos
    Why rush to 10spd, nothing fantastic there IMHO, at least not for me to loose RR, so I'm stocking up on RR RDs to last me a few years - FYI CRC has them in stock, so stock up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATOMICned View Post
    Add me to that list! Love the rapid rise.......too bad they will not be making it anymore. Its the only reason why I kept using Shimano over the years.
    When I finally upgrade to 10 speed Ill probably go SRAM. Does the same job and is lighter! Here is no reason to stick with Shimano.
    Hope Shimano is listening........There is a market for it

Little history for BLASTER1200
    Rapid Rise made its first appearance in the 8 Speed models M951 (Circa 1997 or 1998 I believe). In 2003 with the release of the 960 series they only produced the rear derailleur which was rapid rise (M960) and came out with the Dual control shifters (no triggers). That is when people started to really look at SRAM as a serious alternative. SRAM came out with trigger shifters around this time as well....etc etc.... and yes the Dual controls were not very well liked. But as we see choice is always a good thing in the bike industry
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    How is rapid-rise more intuitive than standard shifting?

Whenever I change chainrings in the front, I use the same finger on my other hand to match gears so my cadence doesnt change. Left thumb in to shift to the big ring, right thumb in a click or two to go down 1-2 gears on the cassette for a smooth transition. Left index finger in to drop to the granny gear, right index in to move the chain to 1-2 cogs smaller out back for a smooth change in cadence.

RR seems like this would be all backwards. Sure you would have to think 'thumbs mean i'm speeding up, index fingers mean I'm slowing down' but that seems more confusing on the bike. At least to me.

MTB B'dos
    What's so hard about both thumb levers switch to a harder gear and both triggers shift to an easier gear, pretty natural to me. Using "normal" RDs is confusing and caused me loads of wrong shifts before I moved to RR when I was first starting.

Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post

RR seems like this would be all backwards. Sure you would have to think 'thumbs mean i'm speeding up, index fingers mean I'm slowing down' but that seems more confusing on the bike. At least to me.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Yep Thumbs for big gears, fingers for small gears. If you were a noob it would be easy to teach you that skill. If all derailleurs were originally designed RR than we would be saying how crazy High Normal derailleurs are......

mtbr member
    I'm a noob regarding front derailleurs after running 1x9s and singlespeeds for years and standard derailleurs make more sense for recovery shifting, at least to me. The faster/slower thought process works for y'all since you're used to RR, but I just think standard derailleurs are better for effective recovery shifting and cadence management.

And based on the market research Shimano has done, I'm sure I'm not alone in this regard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    High Normal derailleurs may be able to gear into your lower gears faster, but not by much. With the advent of ramps and gates on the cogset rapid rise actually works better (I know this has been discussed a thousand times on these forums) using them to move up and down the cogset thus reducing wear on the chain yada yada yada......(When gears were first made there was no ramps/gates so brute force from the derailleur was used to move the chain) and so it is still with high normal......

sheep in FOX clothing
    True story: I found that a RR rear derailleur is more winter-ride resistant, since if (when?) the spring freezes up, I can push it back (i.e. upshift) with my foot without stopping.

Yeah, I really reaching here. Old habits die hard.

Old school BMXer
    Quote Originally Posted by GTscoob View Post
    I will agree that Rapid-Rise is more intuitive than standard shifters.
    I start a lot of beginners into mountain biking, and one of the first things I explain is the shifting. With "normal" shifters, pushing the left thumb lever makes the gears harder, but pushing with the right thumb makes the gears easier. So beginners have difficulties remembering which lever makes the gears easier or harder. And I always hate having to openly say to those with normal shifters, "yeah, it's backwards and confusing."

Since pulling either index finger lever on the Rapid Rise makes the gears easier, it's easier to understand and remember. This is why beginners flocked to and embrace RR.

Overall performance of RR is ok when it's new and working good, but if performance slightly deteriorates, you're screwed on shifts into easier gears in the back, whereas with normal systems, you're essentially pushing it into easier gears. A slight mis-shift into taller gears doesn't cause you to stop going up a hill on standard shifting.

Atomicned, dual control shifters are another issue altogether. I disliked those too. Like RR, conceptually it was a great idea.
    May the air be filled with tires!

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I don't care that much about rapid rise but I love my dual control. I now have 2 MTBs with it. One XTR one XT, both shift beautifully. It looks like shimano cheaped out a lot in 2012. They used to offer 3 different kinds of brake calipers too. Now they have 1 and stupid adapters....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm having a hard time figuring out why SRAM and Shimano gave up on rapid rise. I think it makes a ton more sense and actually more functional when shifting. I'm new to the SRAM 10 speed stuff and did my first race yesterday. When I was shifting to go uphill, it took a lot more effort and coordination to scoop 1-2 gears with my thumb. Tapping the front trigger is a much easier (and more coordinated) transition into an uphill.

I've been reading a lot about it, and it seems as though the main gap to retrofitting an XTR RR derailleur is the shifting ratio from 9 speed to 10 speed? I assume changing the derailleur wheels is fairly easy.

Has anyone tried it or have details on the shift ratios that would be needed to make it work?

Better yet, any SRAM or Shimano reps reading this that could knock on someone's door to get this into their production line? I would buy one without hesitation and it seems like there a lot of folks on this chain that would also.

RR FTW!!!!

Multiple Lines Rock
    I'd pay a premium for Rapid Rise if offered again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I found RR to work much better with dual-control. I'll also be stocking up. Would like to keep using it until Di2 moves to the dirt.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Another fan of RR shifting. I do wish there would be a Shadow Rapid Rise derailleur made, as I've broken two now that protruded and hit rocks and such.

mtbr member
    I just broke my XTR 952 (stick)...and I have the dual control brake/shifters. When the cable was under tension, it would shift up (easier) in gear. Which XT Shadow derailleur would be a good replacement?
    Thanks!
    Ski Good or Eat Wood

Birthday Collector
    Having been both a mechanic and in sales for many years, the "general population" of riders never embraced rapid-rise very well. I, personally liked the Dual-Control levers a lot, but also know that most people didn't. I won't diss someone's preference for a shifting system - you like what you like. But I liked being able to "force" a 3 or 4 gear shift to a lower gear with a single thumb push. Let up on your effort, make the shift in a second or so, then power on when you needed to get up a steep section on a tight, blind-corner trail, etc... I had a buddy with RR that did 3 or 4 clicks on his RR-equipped bike, and had to power on before the bike had taken it's time shifting, and his rear derailleur kept right on going into the rear spokes. Broken derailleur and a couple of mangled spokes.

Shimano pushing RR on the population is what gave SRAM it's foot in the door with both customers and manufacturers. While I personally prefer Shimano equipment in most cases, it did end up giving us a choice of another component line that works very well - most SRAM vs. Shimano picks are made because of ergonomic preferences. Now if SRAM would only get away from DOT Brake fluid and dial their brakes in a bit more, we'd have a really good competition, IMO.
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Add me to the distinguished list of the normally-lows.

The first thing that I do when I rent a bike or buy a new one is pop on a RR RD. I'm too old and slow to change my shifting ways now, especially to an inferior and counter-intuitive system.

A reason RR never caught on is that it wasn't OEM on new bikes (or not enough of them).

Is anyone running RR with 10 spd shifters successfully?
    2012 Banshee Prime
    2011 Salsa Mukluk

Wachusett NEMBA

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I hear that the road 10spd shifters work with 9spd rapid rise. Does anyone know if they are match maker compatible?

Better yet, could someone from SRAM or SHIMANO just make a friggin rapid rise derailleur already?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I switched out my RR a few months ago to go back to top normal. But I completely get the people who love RR. It does make sense and work well. I just couldn't get my brain to adjust after 10 years of top normal. I found myself having to think about every shift rather than it being unconscious. It was even worse when I switched bikes occasionally and couldn't remember how to shift.

Even now I'm having to relearn top normal but its coming back to me. It all boils down to the old adage: "Which one is best? The one your'e used to."

mtbr member
    As long as Shimano will keep producing top normal RDs only, I'll keep up with fantastic M770 low normal derailleurs...

rapid rise rules.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bro_cro_xc View Post
    As long as Shimano will keep producing top normal RDs only, I'll keep up with fantastic M770 low normal derailleurs...

rapid rise rules.
    I guess if I wanted to go back to 9sp, that's my best option....but I love the 2x10 setup and would hate to have to give that up.

Shimano: When are you going to make a rapid rise in 10sp???

mtbr member
    I'm one more in favor of the RR derailleurs.

To me it has nothing to do with shifting patterns. We all have got the ability to learn new stuff.

What made me a fan of RR, and this was my personal feel even before encountering Sheldon Brown's premise on the subject, was the fact that it seemed to induce less stress on the drivetrain.

On an emergency, a RR derailleur, having to do it's own shifting onto bigger cogs only with the help of its spring is better than the top normal design which requires mashing into the shifter and unnaturally forcing the chain to change gears.

On the contrary, when you shift into smaller cogs on a RR design it usually means you're gaining speed and having the ability to do somehow smooth transitions. Therefore forcing the shifter/chain shouldn't be happening.

Having said that, I'm still using a 9spd RR rear derailleur. But I'll be needing a new drivetrain soon. At the present, to me, doesn't make much sense to acquire a complete 9spd set if I can get the newer 10spd designs with a considerably small price difference. Yes I do prefer the RR design, but those parts have been discontinued and I usually keep my stuff a considerable large amount of time by comparison to the average mtber. I won't stash parts for rainy days, can't see that as cost effective, and I also feel we shouldn't stop on time, so with some sadness goodbye RR.

If someone on Shimano is seeing this, please do re-engineer current rear derailleurs and reintroduce the system. I'll be buying them as other will.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast