mtbr member

Where can I find tech doc for the M786 RD?

I just got the new Shadow Plus XT RD put on my bike but I did not get any owners document or adjustment information. I do not see the M786 on Shimano's website. I am just wondering about clutch adjustments.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Where can I find tech doc for the M786 RD?-img_20130415_222247.jpgWhere can I find tech doc for the M786 RD?-img_20130415_222234.jpgThis is a nice RD.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post
    I just got the new Shadow Plus XT RD put on my bike but I did not get any owners document or adjustment information. I do not see the M786 on Shimano's website. I am just wondering about clutch adjustments.

Mark

Theres a good selection of PDF Documents that tell you about setting up and theres a technical blowout with all parts PDF too.

The setup PDFs i found were under the Europe section of website (couldnt see them on the American website) Deore XT

Blowups are under the Tech support section

mtbr member
    Thanks, I was looking at the USA site.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Shimano

Everything you need can be found there....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by millertm View Post

Mark
    Guys, you'll notice he's specifically asking about "clutch adjustments". The standard Shimano consumer tech docs you've linked to don't cover how to adjust the clutch tension, instead you'll need to refer to the dealer manual here - http://si.shimano.com/php/download.p...001-02-ENG.pdf or BikeRadar did a good tutorial here - Trail Tech: How To Adjust The Clutch Tension In Your Shimano Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthMTB View Post
    Guys, you'll notice he's specifically asking about "clutch adjustments". The standard Shimano consumer tech docs you've linked to don't cover how to adjust the clutch tension, instead you'll need to refer to the dealer manual here - http://si.shimano.com/php/download.p...001-02-ENG.pdf or BikeRadar did a good tutorial here - Trail Tech: How To Adjust The Clutch Tension In Your Shimano Shadow Plus Rear Derailleur - BikeRadar
    Thanks, you hit it on the head. +1. To be honest, the shifting is the same as the M785, I have not noticed any difference. This is not a bad thing because the XT shadow SGS worked very well. I have however, noticed that there is no chain slap or chain noise. This is now a stealth bike that makes no sound.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    Yeah, I'm really happy with my shadow+, that alone makes it worth upgrading from 9 speed. Has anyone else noticed that the top jockey wheel on the shadow+ no longer has any side-to-side float. All previous RDs have had that feature, supposedly to help a smooth gear change, but maybe its incompatible with the extra tension in the clutch system so Shimano have done away with it?

mtbr member
    There was a thread in the drivetrain forum that in moving to 10-speed, the top pulley no longer moves side to side. I can validate my 10-speed SLX M663 and Shadow Plus SLX M675 both no longer move.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSabarese View Post
    There was a thread in the drivetrain forum that in moving to 10-speed, the top pulley no longer moves side to side. I can validate my 10-speed SLX M663 and Shadow Plus SLX M675 both no longer move.
    Oh, OK. I thought my 10sp SLX still had float in the top jockey wheel, but can't be sure as I don't have it anymore, so will take your word for it...